Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 07:50 AM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Agree, and what's comical is what MSM is pointing to as its root cause.
At this point, I cant see any real reason for it to go down much.
Will have to see how it all plays out. I mean did anyone really think a fed rate of 1.5% to 1.75% would do anything? Maybe the media convinced folks that it could? Rates still artificially low, with high inflation. This is a 1st. So I do not believe that anyone really knows how this will end. As its a 1st time evolution.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

CPI Inflation Number for June 9.1%
Old 07-13-2022, 07:51 AM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

CPI Inflation Number for June 9.1%

What is the 4.3 five year instrument? CD, MYGA, or ? It would be helpful to others if you care to share. I don’t see this inflation news as good for savers. Rates are not going up enough to keep pace so we are going backwards. I agree locking in or laddering higher rates is a good move now.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:52 AM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I expect many of the talking heads today will say the recent drop in oil prices isn't taken into account in these numbers and it really ins't that bad....
So I don't have cable, but I have XM, and couldn't resist listening to CNBC. There were a variety of opinions. Cramer (yeah, I know) had a take that the numbers are bogus because around him he sees stuff dropping, like used cars.

Maybe that's true in his NY neighborhood, but in general used cars aren't exactly cratering. They are floating up and down month to month right now with no clear down trend yet.

Next month will be better because of commodities, but you gotta look at the core. The core is still accelerating. Core removes food and energy from the mix. Core month-to-month needs to start dropping. But it isn't yet. And I think a lot of that has to do with shelter. The shelter number is huge in the CPI calculation, but the way it is calculated involves a long lag. It is still absorbing last year's skyrocketing rise, and will continue to do so for the rest of this year.

Old 07-13-2022, 07:54 AM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
What is the 4.3 five year instrument? CD, MYGA, or ? It would be helpful to others if you care to share. I don’t see this inflation news as good for savers. Rates are not going up enough to keep pace so we are going backwards. I agree locking in or laddering higher rates is a good move now.
No worries, I have shared many times they are MYGAs. Here are a few.

https://www.immediateannuities.com/d...ma-filter-form
Old 07-13-2022, 07:54 AM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Watch the Rates rise. For us Savers and Fixed income investors (Not Bond funds), there is light. Maybe time to lock in long term MYGAs and CD's.

We secured a 4.3% 5 Year this week. Looking for a few more, may push our luck to 6 or 7 years. 5% is a live like a King and Queen number for us.

Yep, happy days are here again, only losing 4.1% per year
Old 07-13-2022, 07:57 AM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Yep, happy days are here again, only losing 4.1% per year
You have to play the long game (Well ~5year long game); all will stabilize in the fullness of time. It is one of those "If you won the game" things, 5% is a lot better than -15%. Our personal inflation rate is nowhere near 9.1%
Old 07-13-2022, 07:58 AM   #167

The inflation report this morning is a lagging indicator. The bond market is looking past that report with the oil and other commodity bubbles bursting, gas prices dropping, a huge inventory buildup, and the USD rising. It is a good time for savers and fixed income investors. All those businesses that have been gouging consumers have created their own demand destruction. The short term profit gains are going to lead to longer term misery.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:04 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
The inflation report this morning is a lagging indicator. The bond market is looking past that report with the oil and other commodity bubbles bursting, gas prices dropping, a huge inventory buildup, and the USD rising. It is a good time for savers and fixed income investors. All those businesses that have been gouging consumers have created their own demand destruction. The short term profit gains are going to lead to longer term misery.
a lot of sales at local big boxes here. Back to school sales already started. They have too much stuff. Not a day goes by that I don't get an email from Best Buy or NewEgg with deeper discounts on computers and electronics. Can't speak to food -- my wife does all the food shopping. Can't speak to cars - I don't need one right now.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:07 AM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Would you rather earn 4.5% from an A rated 3 year corporate note or 1.3% from cash balances or a whopping 1.5% from short term bond funds and watch your capital erode at the same time?

You have to look at the big picture. How high can rates go with $30T in national debt and $54T in corporate debt? Zero rate policies create bubbles and hurt savers. A normalized rate environment will be better. It will be painful short term for bubble induced investments, but will be great for savers and fixed income investors.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:28 AM   #170
Give me a forum ...

The I bond rates announced in May weren’t so far off after all.

Old 07-13-2022, 08:40 AM   #171

Yeah! Bigger COLA!
Old 07-13-2022, 08:44 AM   #172

Odd way of looking at it. )
Old 07-13-2022, 09:09 AM   #173

Threads merged.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:14 AM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All those businesses that have been gouging consumers have created their own demand destruction. The short term profit gains are going to lead to longer term misery.
While I am not sure about the gouging comment, I do basically agree with you. I am hearing a lot of chatter among my peers about cutting back this, eliminating that, and finding a cheaper replacement for some other thing.

The Stella beer I bought is 20% cheaper and almost as good as the higher priced craft brew Session I was buying.

I am thinking of making a new horror movie called Gas and Groceries.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:16 AM   #175
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
The I bond rates announced in May weren’t so far off after all.
The I-bond rates are a simple calculation, and it is backward looking, not predictive. To wit: I-bond rate for May 2022 = ((CPI-U for March 2022/CPI-U for September 2021) x 2)-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Yeah! Bigger COLA!
Based on the new numbers, Social Security COLA for 2023 will be 9% at least.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:09 AM   #176
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Be careful with claims of "huge inventory buildup". Gasoline is still on a knifes edge, especially in PADD1. We normally build leading into this time of year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-07-13 120906.jpg (39.8 KB, 64 views)
Old 07-13-2022, 12:25 PM   #177

One major key is whether Russia turns the Natty Gas pipeline back on July 22nd. They shut the pipeline down every year for maintenance for 10 days contractually, but it is unclear whether they will oblige. All hell will break loose then in Europe, as they will pay big Euros to get their hands on any form of hydrocarbans.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:27 PM   #178

Nah, they have solar and wind now.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:30 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatrub View Post
Be careful with claims of "huge inventory buildup". Gasoline is still on a knifes edge, especially in PADD1. We normally build this time of year.
I was referring to retailers. I should have made that clear. Prices for consumer electronics are plunging fast. All those hard to get furniture items are now being liquidated. Apparel prices are dropping fast.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:32 PM   #180
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
Nah, they have solar and wind now.
If they get the politicians talking in the right direction, maybe those windfarms will start spinning again!