Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-06-2024, 04:55 PM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Was just watching CNBC report Chipotle earnings, they beat expectations.

They boasted of higher average transactions. They cited inflation for beef, produce and queso but they raised prices to more than cover.

So they had slightly higher profit margin, over 25% in Q4 2023 vs. just over 24% in Q4 2022.

Price increases didnít come entirely from inflation and 2022 had higher inflation than 2023, especially the end of 2023.

Also, I donít follow the restaurant industry but 25% or even 24% profit margin seems high? They are a popular chain ó McDonalds struggled to meet expectations in their latest quarterly report.

So some of the higher prices in recent months seem to be occurring because some companies can increase prices, not entirely or even partly due to inflation.
Hmmm. I wonder if they compensated their servers accordingly. .......
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2024, 07:43 PM   #222
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Was just watching CNBC report Chipotle earnings, they beat expectations.

They boasted of higher average transactions. They cited inflation for beef, produce and queso but they raised prices to more than cover.

So they had slightly higher profit margin, over 25% in Q4 2023 vs. just over 24% in Q4 2022.

Price increases didn’t come entirely from inflation and 2022 had higher inflation than 2023, especially the end of 2023.

Also, I don’t follow the restaurant industry but 25% or even 24% profit margin seems high? They are a popular chain — McDonalds struggled to meet expectations in their latest quarterly report.

So some of the higher prices in recent months seem to be occurring because some companies can increase prices, not entirely or even partly due to inflation.
The 24%/25% is gross profit margin. After that they still have operating expenses (management, advertising, R&D, and probbably more) and taxes and maybe some other things. Diluted EPS is about 1.7% using today's closing price and diluted EPS TTM.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 10:22 AM   #223
Administrator

December BLS report on CPI has been revised. Seasonally adjusted inflation rate lower than previously calculated.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/09/-inf...ment-says.html

https://www.investors.com/news/econo...eserve-sp-500/
Old 02-09-2024, 10:33 AM   #224
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
December BLS report on CPI has been revised. Seasonally adjusted inflation rate lower than previously calculated.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/09/-inf...ment-says.html

https://www.investors.com/news/econo...eserve-sp-500/
Hereís a BLS FAQ on seasonal adjustments for those internet in the methodology. https://www.bls.gov/cpi/seasonal-adj...nd-answers.htm
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 11:03 AM   #225
Give me a forum ...

Doesn’t the BLS publish an annual CPI revisions report on their site somewhere?
Old 02-09-2024, 11:09 AM   #226
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Doesn’t the BLS publish an annual CPI revisions report on their site somewhere?
I don’t see a report but there is a BLS web page for seasonal adjustments with explanations, methodology and lots of data, here https://www.bls.gov/cpi/seasonal-adjustment/home.htm
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 11:12 AM   #227
Give me a forum ...

Looks like you have to contact them to get the info.

I’ll wait for Tuesday’s report, thanks.
Old 02-09-2024, 11:22 AM   #228
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's good to see it adjusted in the right direction - down.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 10:14 AM   #229
Give me a forum ...

I have been reading and listening to a few people who are working on trying to predict what’s going on with inflation and prices. The current trend seems to be this: The producers of consumer products want the price increases of the broken supply chain days to stick in the minds of consumer and become the new normal prices. Consumers along with some major retailers are resisting this.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danpont...h=548a388e4549

Quote:
In another of its bold moves that underscores the company’s commitment to purpose-driven and ethical business practices, French grocery giant Carrefour has halted the sale of Pepsi products due to unacceptable price increases. The move is in addition to their late 2023 decision to physically highlight the sneaky tactic of “shrinkflation” in their grocery stores. This two-pronged approach by France’s second-largest grocer is not just a retail strategy; it's a loud message about the role of corporations in society and the importance of purpose-driven, ethical leadership.
I believe Walmart has started to pressure producers to curtail price increases and in some cases reduce prices.

https://www.reuters.com/business/ret...es-2023-02-10/

Quote:
But now with the cost of cardboard cases declining by 40-50%, the cost of transportation falling by 25-30% and the cost of raw materials declining significantly, "retailers like Walmart will say 'hey you already had three rounds of price hikes last year, why are you giving us another?'" said Burt Flickinger, managing director at retail consulting firm Strategic Resource Group.
Perhaps we need a buyer’s strike for a few quarters to drive home the point

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 10:19 AM   #230
Give me a forum ...

I think the high prices now to build a house (believe me, it is EXPENSIVE to build new right now) have hit lumber prices.

I had to purchase a few 2x6 8 foot boards for framing out the last part of our house build, a coffee nook area. I was shocked the boards were $6.20 each. These had been as high as $13 each just a couple years ago. I think they are actually cheaper than they were in 2018.

Kind of makes me just want to build everything out of 2x6 instead of using anything else (plywood has not come down nearly as much)
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 08:16 PM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
...But now with the cost of cardboard cases declining by 40-50%, the cost of transportation falling by 25-30% and the cost of raw materials declining significantly...
Interesting. I know the price spikes due to supply chain issues have eased, but I didn't know it was by that much.

Makes all the pundits look kinda silly screaming doom and gloom about both "inflation" and "deflation," when a lot of it was just two sides of a temporary spike.

I agree that consumers and retailers need to send a message to manufacturers that we're on to their game and won't put up with their BS any more.

Of course that won't happen. But I can dream.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 08:24 PM   #232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I have been reading and listening to a few people who are working on trying to predict what’s going on with inflation and prices. The current trend seems to be this: The producers of consumer products want the price increases of the broken supply chain days to stick in the minds of consumer and become the new normal prices. Consumers along with some major retailers are resisting this.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danpont...h=548a388e4549

Perhaps we need a buyer’s strike for a few quarters to drive home the point
The Carrefour bit I believe was due to a new French law that basically requires retailers to negotiate annually and to push back. https://www.ft.com/content/752e1aa1-...f-ed01ea9ad7eb

But it also sounds like Carrefour has been on the bandwagon a long time.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:45 AM   #233
Give me a forum ...

January 2024 CPI release: https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm

3.1% over the last 12 months. 0.3% for January.
Old 02-13-2024, 09:22 AM   #234
Administrator

CPI 12/31/23 = 308.417

Annualized inflation rates (<1yr not seasonally adjusted)

Last 1 year > + 3.09%
Last 9 mos > + 2.22%
Last 6 mos > + 1.78%
Last 3 mos > + 0.97%

I'm happy with the trend. The average annual inflation rate over the past 20 years has been 2.6%, and I expect we will soon be there.

Topline CPI last 14 months

Dec 296.797
Jan 299.170
Feb 300.840
Mar 301.836
Apr 303.363
May 304.127
Jun 305.109
Jul 305.691
Aug 307.026
Sep 307.789
Oct 307.671
Nov 307.051
Dec 306.746
Jan 308.417
Old 02-13-2024, 11:44 AM   #235
Give me a forum ...

Does this mean CD Rates will remain good?
Old 02-13-2024, 11:48 AM   #236
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Based on the T-Bill rates which have been creeping back up, itís possible that some CDs will remain good. The online banks have recently been dropping CD rates aggressively however, and I donít expect them to turn around and raise again. The non-callable brokered CDs have been even lower for a while. You might be better off buying Treasuries.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:51 AM   #237
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Steady or rise slightly, IMO. Noticed a couple 1yr at Schwab went up a tenth or so in the past few days. Now at 5%, again. I thought we were done with any upward movement over the past few months, but now I'm not so sure. In any case, I don't see any dramatic movement for a while (months).
Old 02-13-2024, 11:58 AM   #238
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Steady or rise slightly. Noticed a couple of 1yr at Schwab went up a tenth or so in the past few days. Now at 5%, again.
Well thatís good to see as long as they arenít callable.
Old 02-13-2024, 12:01 PM   #239

That trend suggests inflation is under control!

latexman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 12:01 PM   #240
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well that’s good to see as long as they aren’t callable.
They are not.