Join Early Retirement Today

Lending groups as an investment?
Old 07-03-2014, 05:29 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Lending groups as an investment?

Hey folks,

I'm new to the early retirement community and this is my first post so I apologize if this has been covered in the past.

Does anyone have experience using the online lending groups such as "Lending Club" or "Prosper" as a portion of your investment portfolio? If so, what percentage do you dedicate to this?

At the end of last year I wanted to find out how this worked so I put $250 into an account to kind of take it for a test drive. It seems pretty straight forward. Sigficant risk, due diligence, etc....but I want to bump up the ante.

Any thoughts on what is too much?

Thanks
artiegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2014, 05:32 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ing-70235.html
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ent-57975.html
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ing-62201.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by artiegene View Post
Any thoughts on what is too much?
In my world, anything more than $1.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I would let the $250 ride for a couple of years and then try to cash out.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I was intrigued by the concept a few years ago and looked at some of the offerings and the limited data provided and decided it was way too much risk based on limited and possibly inaccurate data. I am a money lender by day and a landlord by night so assessing risk and credit is in my DNA. Neat concept and may be fun to dabble with 250 bucks but certainly not any significant portion of my $ would ever go into this bucket!
Old 10-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

After doing it for almost a year I'm inclined to believe everyone is right. I think I will consider this to be a gambling loss (or maybe a win) but I won't add to it. Thanks.
artiegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Try Kiva. I find it more as an investment in the small business person applying for the loan. I have invested around $400 (actually more like donated) and have now helped over 25 individuals grow their businesses.
You can pick the country or region you want your help to go to as well as the industry, I usually choose the agriculture industry, then pick the individual you want to help. I will probably never withdraw my original investment and as I get paid back I am able to offer help to others. It's a nice feeling when your original loan is paid back you get to re-loan it to someone else. After 6 years I haven't been stiffed on a loan yet.
ghsebldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:03 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I thought about it, but decided against it. I am well familiar with credit score, because of tenant screening, and if I was going to do it, I would make sure everyone has at least a 650 credit score.

But you are better off just investing in preferred dividend stocks if you want to go that route.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Kiva for micro-financing
Old 10-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Kiva for micro-financing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghsebldr View Post
Try Kiva. I find it more as an investment in the small business person applying for the loan. I have invested around $400 (actually more like donated) and have now helped over 25 individuals grow their businesses.

You can pick the country or region you want your help to go to as well as the industry, I usually choose the agriculture industry, then pick the individual you want to help. I will probably never withdraw my original investment and as I get paid back I am able to offer help to others. It's a nice feeling when your original loan is paid back you get to re-loan it to someone else. After 6 years I haven't been stiffed on a loan yet.
I really like the concept. I looked at Kiva for investing in Mexico. I found that the bank charges for micro-financing were too high. Do you have any suggestions? Puerto Vallarta is my preferred investment location.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I thought about it, but decided against it. I am well familiar with credit score, because of tenant screening, and if I was going to do it, I would make sure everyone has at least a 650 credit score.
I've seen the Lending Club min 660 number in various articles.
Quote:
The minimum FICO credit score needed to get a loan for Lending Club is 660. For Prosper, the minimum credit score is 640.
90% of borrowers are supposedly rejected from Lending Club applications. It is not in their *long*term* interest to have borrowers default.
eroscott is offline   Reply With Quote