Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwitte View Post
Question: If the market goes up and I re-balance towards 40% stock and 60% bonds, then the market falls by 15% and I move a chunk from bonds to stocks, then the market goes back up and I re-balance back to 40% stocks by selling stocks and buying bonds, am I timing the market? Or, am I simply taking advantage of the opportunities that happen to come my way? Just curious....
Nah....not timing.
If you want to run with the big dogs, you need to start flashing charts and using terms like MACD, Bollinger Bands, envelopes, CCI, RSI, oscilllator, stochastics (fast, slow, and full,) and everyones favorite--Fibonacci numbers.
When you can speak a ten word sentence using five of these you'll be allowed to shed the training wheels....
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
Met a retired friend ( also FIRE ) at the pool today, and he was recommending that I check up on a fund ARTSX. Has anyone come across this, and what is your opinion of it?
I'd say that you need a different pool, and possibly a different friend.

He has no idea what goals, asset allocations, or timelines you're dealing with... only how well his funds are performing. If indeed they really are his funds in the first place.

For a really entertaining discussion, ask him about his worst-performing funds.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

He has no idea what goals, asset allocations, or timelines you're dealing with... only how well his funds are performing. If indeed they really are his funds in the first place.

OTOH, when the pool friends, cabbies, and dentists start giving tips, it could be a sign of a market top...
Ho hum, how did the market do today??
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

Ha ha!

yes, you are right, he has no idea of my personal financial position, except that I'm already retired, like him. But then, he has always been an aggressive investor.

I'm happy with my AA at present, and no plans to change or jump into the "recommended stock/fund/ETF of the day"

I checked up on the fund ARTSX, and it seems way too aggressive for my kind of investing.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
More knife catching: Exchange from FBIDX (bond fund) to FUSEX (S&P500) index fund at close today.
Sell the FUSEX today for a gain of at least 4% in the last few weeks. My US equities were overweighted from where I normally want them, so this will bring me back towards where I want to be. The proceeds of this sale stay in cash right now.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sell the FUSEX today for a gain of at least 4% in the last few weeks. My US equities were overweighted from where I normally want them, so this will bring me back towards where I want to be. The proceeds of this sale stay in cash right now.
I wasn't around for the start of this. Is this your real time, real money account, with a substantial account balance?

If so, you have nerve.

Ha
Old 09-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I wasn't around for the start of this. Is this your real time, real money account, with a substantial account balance?

If so, you have nerve.

Ha
Yes to the first two, but it's less than 10% of account balance, yet still in the 6-figure range, so that's probably yes to the last one as well.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Forget to add this trade last week:

On 9/28 Sold some short-term bond fund shares VCSH @77.85 in order to raise some more cash for equities purchase.

Increased 401(k) contribution to 70% of paycheck, but that contribution went into a bond fund.

Have not bought equities yet though. I already missed the 7% to 11% run up since Oct 3 with new money. Still slightly overweight though in equities.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #49

I just finished reading this entire thread and somehow feel like I've been on Facebook the whole time.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Sell FSEMX today at a profit (bought on 8/8 and 7/27 as mentioned previously in this thread). Buy more VSS (int'l mid/small) to keep percentage of equities about the same.

This is a rebalance from US mid/small cap to foreign mid/small cap since foreign mid/small caps have not done so well in 2011.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Equities are overweighted, so exchange some FUSEX (S&P500 index) to FBIDX (total bond index) today.

VSS (bought on 12/27) is up 11.9%
FSEMX (sold on 12/27) is up 08.6%
Old 02-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

thanks for post, keep them coming. Do you look at stoch charts to influence when you trade?
perrytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrytime View Post
thanks for post, keep them coming. Do you look at stoch charts to influence when you trade?
No, I do not look at stock charts. I have an asset allocation plan and follow that. It is really very simple. The plan forces me to buy on bad days and consider selling on good days.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrytime View Post
He looks at the trader's secret weapon: an asset allocation chart!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

With portfolio reaching a new all-time round-number, it is time to rebalance over the next few days. It just seems that my need to take risk is lower than last month.

Today submit order to exchange some money from S&P500 index fund to US Bond Index fund in the 401(k), so no tax consequences. This is the first transaction in 3 months.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

A stock I have held since 2005 hit my target on Friday and I sold half. The other half is on the block if it goes another $5 a share higher.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
With portfolio reaching a new all-time round-number, it is time to rebalance over the next few days. It just seems that my need to take risk is lower than last month.

Today submit order to exchange some money from S&P500 index fund to US Bond Index fund in the 401(k), so no tax consequences. This is the first transaction in 3 months.
Funny, I'm just $3K short of my "new all-time round number" too. Congrats to us both!
Old 05-02-2012, 06:03 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I just rebalanced and took some money off the table and topped up my living expenses "bucket" to about 2 years worth of expenses. I'll admit that I'm concerned the market will be stagnant for the rest of the year given its recent run and that view, along with my AA being a bit out of whack, prompted the rebalancing.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #59

fun reading the postings of the past year or so.......I just buy a little each month, double down when the market drops......I think of it like buying extra at the supermarket when they have a sale......heavy in TE bonds, they've done well.....heavy in index funds.....they've done well....low taxes, low fees, low worries....am I missing anything?
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #60

Will let you know over the next several months......
almost there is offline   Reply With Quote