Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-16-2019, 01:33 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
I know a lot of people believe this, but I think it misses an important point: there are two parts to the retirement equation, time and money. If you are overly conservative with money then you are throwing away time to enjoy life. To me, the goal is to have the best possible life. As someone who has performed modeling their whole career, I would suggest the best way to balance both time and money is to perform an analysis with a best guess of likely market returns and look at the range of possibilities around this. Using this, I would develop strategies that minimize the likelihood of bad outcomes, both in terms of running out of money and in not having enough free time to do the things in life I want.
I'm not sure we really disagree on this. One does not necessarily need to go nuts either being optimistic or pessimistic. Another factor that gets overlooked a lot is that withdrawal rates are probably never constant and can almost always be managed. So manage for happiness early on with the understanding that a cutback may be necessary in the future.

All we really need is enough. Recounted in a couple of Bogle's books:
At a party given by a billionaire on Shelter Island, the late Kurt Vonnegut informs his pal, author Joseph Heller, that their host, a hedge fund manager, had made more money in a single day than Heller had earned from his wildly popular novel, Catch-22, over its whole history. Heller responds, Yes, but I have something he will never have enough.
https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2013/12/enough/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
Well you could increase your odds of identifying if you look at those that buy lottery tickets versus those that don't.
Actually, when our state put in a lottery the local public radio station interviewed a statistics professor from UC Berkeley. His comment was: "Well, your odds of winning are about the same whether you buy a ticket or not."
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2019, 08:31 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I'm not sure we really disagree on this. One does not necessarily need to go nuts either being optimistic or pessimistic. Another factor that gets overlooked a lot is that withdrawal rates are probably never constant and can almost always be managed. So manage for happiness early on with the understanding that a cutback may be necessary in the future.

All we really need is enough. Recounted in a couple of Bogle's books:
At a party given by a billionaire on Shelter Island, the late Kurt Vonnegut informs his pal, author Joseph Heller, that their host, a hedge fund manager, had made more money in a single day than Heller had earned from his wildly popular novel, Catch-22, over its whole history. Heller responds, Yes, but I have something he will never have enough.
https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2013/12/enough/

Actually, when our state put in a lottery the local public radio station interviewed a statistics professor from UC Berkeley. His comment was: "Well, your odds of winning are about the same whether you buy a ticket or not."
I/we have 'enough'.

I have oft repeated the quote, "your chances are about the same wether you buy a ticket or not".

Even so, I buy Hit 5 ticket from time to time. One chance in about 574,000.

Otherwise, I buy a coffee at McDonalds--$1 with free refills--and I drink a lot of coffee. (Actually, pretty good coffee as well.)
Old 08-22-2019, 08:13 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our portfolio with VG (90% of our net worth, does not include home) over 10 years is 5.2%. We've been invested in the boring 60/40 category since early 2000's. Made a few adjustments, nothing major. We have not WD and gains are slow and steady. We re-invest all dividends and capital gains.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:31 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I/we have 'enough'.
I also have "enough" (but of course being greedy I always enjoy having more).

Having made it to the SS eligibility age and being able to draw it any time I need it, I am also just a couple of years from Medicare. Ah, finally something good coming out of getting old. Darn, I need to remind myself of some silver linings. Yesterday, in the middle of the night when I turned in bed, I felt pain in my left shoulder. It was bad, but not a sharp pain as I had with the right shoulder last year (which slowly went away over the next several months).

Back on market returns, with SS and Medicare, plus my spending going down all the time I am not worried about SORR. There's some advantage to working till your mid 50s, compared to youngsters who ER in their 40s. These also did not work that long to have much SS either.

At this point, I can see my WR going down below 2% and I still have the same lifestyle. I still like to be in the market and try to make money. It's something to do, and challenging.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:59 AM   #65
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe8012 View Post
I have averaged 5.8% over past 30 years at 65% stocks. After retirement I am at 50% stocks and use a 4.5% estimate for future earnings.
Hi is that 5.8% net of inflation or a straight 5.8% which would seeM low for 65% AA .. just interested for my own FIRE planning.
romans2 is offline   Reply With Quote