Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 07:05 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I think they do, that's why a lot of people are in cash. I wouldn't underestimate most investors.
Insert contrarian comment here.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2017, 07:06 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
SAMCLEM I started the thread in the hope that we could trade ideas. I have no interest in telling you anything or anyone else anything if I get nothing in return.
That's the spirit!!!

Quote:
Ill trade ideas via PM with anyone who has something of value to trade
OK, now. Let's make a trade. I'll tell you what my favorite protein bar is and you tell me what your favorite protein bar is. But, I don't understand why this trade has to be via PM. It seems as if you don't you want samclem to know.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:08 PM   #23
gone traveling

With all do respect I think SAMCLEM may have had one to many protein bars
Old 03-25-2017, 07:12 PM   #24

But how about addressing the question of trading ideas via PM's? What's the point of that?
Old 03-25-2017, 07:18 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
But how about addressing the question of trading ideas via PM's? What's the point of that?
Yes. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:18 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
OK, now. Let's make a trade. I'll tell you what my favorite protein bar is and you tell me what your favorite protein bar is. But, I don't understand why this trade has to be via PM. It seems as if you don't you want samclem to know.
I can't disclose what I just learned from an undisclosed new poster, but it involves a special short strategy involving a straddle and a double hop. The equity will remain unnamed, but it might be a protein bar company.
To get the tip, I offered a proven strategy that allows an investor to do better in the market than 85% of investors.
But this is all on the QT, don't tell anyone or I'll be cut off from future goldmines.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:18 PM   #27

Hey, I've posted my thoughts on protein bars for everyone to see and challenge. I don't see why it should be any different here.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:24 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Hey, I've posted my thoughts on protein bars for everyone to see and challenge. I don't see why it should be any different here.
You shouldn't be giving those valuable insights away for nuthin.
"Free milk and the cow," dontcha know.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:30 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I had to recuse myself from this thread as I'm definitely not sophisticated .
Old 03-25-2017, 07:34 PM   #30
gone traveling

I started the thread to see if there were any 50 somethings in the Florida area that were sophisticated investors for me to establish a dialog with. But as usual whenever you have a picnic a few flies show up. I've posted a few ideas on this thread publicly anyone who wants to trade further ideas can PM me.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
For whatever reason, there are herds of great traders willing to tell anyone who will listen about how well they >did<. In one named portfolio. Looking forward or seeing the entire record somehow spoils the magic.
A trader who can really pick a high percentage of winners over time could use options/leverage to grow fabulously rich in short order. There are few instances of this.
I find the same phenomenon exists with Las Vegas gamblers, of which I have more than a few friends and family members. They love to tell me how much they made in Las Vegas. But they tend to focus on the trips they won, while conveniently forgetting the trips they lost big. And they purposely avoid keeping close track of their total wins/losses because they want to have selective memory and conveniently forget the times they lost their shirt. Gamblers are predisposed to believing they can beat the system. They will rationalize this and selectively recall the facts that support this position.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:55 PM   #32
gone traveling

Ready, Samclem, Redduck come up with an original idea other than following the herd of sheep in an index fund and I'm all ears, otherwise engaging in this type of mastrubation is a waste of everyone's time boys
Old 03-25-2017, 08:00 PM   #33

Here's my hot tip:

Quote:
“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.” - John Maynard Keynes
Old 03-25-2017, 08:13 PM   #34

dixonge, for your hot tip I'm will tell you what my favorite
protein bar is:Kirkland Soft & Chewy Granola Bar, Chocolate Chip.
(Don't tell samclem, because he refuses to share information for free).
Old 03-25-2017, 08:17 PM   #35
gone traveling

Now what do you think Keynes would think of Fama ? IMHO Keynes makes the perfect case for inefficient markets and the weak form of the EMH. Fama carved out several market anomalies in his work on EMH. Learning about these areas by reading books by Peter Lynch and Seth Klarman may give you a basis to develop some original ideas.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Now what do you think Keynes would think of Fama ? IMHO Keynes makes the perfect case for inefficient markets and the weak form of the EMH. Fama carved out several market anomalies in his work on EMH. Learning about these areas by reading books by Peter Lynch and Seth Klarman may give you a basis to develop some original ideas.
That aspect of investing never interested me because I just assumed that there are inefficiencies. I even think everyone believes it on some level. Even if through some magic the average prices at the end of the daily rise and fall make it efficient, the fluctuations during the day matter and there are limit orders to catch favorable inefficient prices. It's a non-issue unless there's a deeper argument that I'm too closed minded about this to have found.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:23 PM   #37

I just don't think I can beat the hedge funds when it comes to these sort of arbitrage and such, and they are not beating the indexes. So back to boggle investing style.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:23 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Fama carved out several market anomalies in his work on EMH.
I go as far as including a small/value tilt (Fama/French) in my index holdings--I'm not opposed to exploiting inefficiencies even if they aren't satisfactorily explained (IMO). But that's as wild as I get--this dough has to see us through a few decades, longer than Mr Lynch was able to help me out through Magellan. Not looking for a guru or the next hot thing, but remain very, very thankful and grateful to all those seekers who pay the price in their time, effort and commissions to keep the market efficient. Without them, indexing wouldn't be the effective tool that it is. Nearly a free lunch!
Old 03-25-2017, 09:54 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

You guys are a tough bunch.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:35 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I buy the winners. Well, mostly the winners. They are easy to identify because they go up the most. Losers aren't good and I avoid those. They tend to do poorly so I avoid them. That's it - pick the winners and ditch the losers.