Join Early Retirement Today

Low Price US Broad Market ETFs
Old 04-18-2023, 09:45 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Low Price US Broad Market ETFs

Can anyone suggest some decent low price US broad market ETFs I could use as an alternative to the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund (VTI)? VTI is my "go to" ETF in most cases. But when I have a small amount of money to invest and VTI is priced around $200 or so, it is harder to get every last dollar invested. I am trying to have to transfer and park money in a money market fund until I have enough to buy VTI again. When I search for low priced ETFs, the results are always ETFs with low expense ratios, not necessarily EFTs with a low price per share. The only lower priced similar ETF I have located so far is the Schwab U.S. Broad Market ETF (SCHB) (which is fine since I have an account at Schwab).
Tranquility Base is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2023, 09:55 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You could invest in the mutual fund version of VTI, VTSAX.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 10:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility Base View Post
The only lower priced similar ETF I have located so far is the Schwab U.S. Broad Market ETF (SCHB) (which is fine since I have an account at Schwab).
So, why not SCHB then? It's currently trading at around $48, which is about as low as you could expect for a broad market, index ETF.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 10:06 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
So, why not SCHB then? It's currently trading at around $48, which is about as low as you could expect for a broad market, index ETF.

Good to know! I don't have any objections to SCHB and already own some of it. I was wondering if there were other alternatives. But if SCHB is priced about as low as these type of ETFs go, then SCHB would make the most sense.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:09 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post

I know. But frankly I am still trying to understand mutual funds. ETFs just make more sense to me, or at least they are easier to understand. I know what I am paying when I buy or sell and you don't get the surprise year-end capital gains distributions. That's a topic probably best for another thread. My point is I just tend to lean away from mutual funds if there is an ETF alternative.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:38 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
How about SCHD for a little variety.
Old 04-18-2023, 11:53 AM   #7

Fidelity FZROX is trading at $14.45 today. No fee total market fund.
Old 04-18-2023, 12:00 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility Base View Post
I know. But frankly I am still trying to understand mutual funds. ETFs just make more sense to me, or at least they are easier to understand. I know what I am paying when I buy or sell and you don't get the surprise year-end capital gains distributions. That's a topic probably best for another thread. My point is I just tend to lean away from mutual funds if there is an ETF alternative.
VTI and VTSAX are the same in terms of distributions. You won’t get cap gains distributions from VTSAX that aren’t also paid on VTI. The only difference is a single market close price on VTSAX versus the market day range of VTI.
Old 04-18-2023, 02:09 PM   #9

Can't you buy fractional shares of VTI?

https://investor.vanguard.com/invest...-vanguard-etfs
Old 04-18-2023, 04:46 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
Can't you buy fractional shares of VTI?

https://investor.vanguard.com/invest...-vanguard-etfs
That’s what I wondered. Surely you can at Vanguard.

This Oct 2022 article claims you can. There may be some caveats like market order only, etc. https://investor.vanguard.com/invest...-vanguard-etfs

Oops sorry, found the same article.

Tags
etfs