Marijuana stocks

Do they have clinicals to back this up or is it a bunch of stoners just making it up.

I don’t know about clinical results but I can’t imagine it’s a bunch of stoners given the level of professional investment. State economies are factoring revenue from medicinal and tourist spending. There was fierce competition for a few grow house licenses required for the state of MD. I expect the price will leave plenty of room for the illegal market to thrive.

Last edited:
Do they have clinicals to back this up or is it a bunch of stoners just making it up.
Some, obviously it's been difficult given that cannabis currently has no medical benefits according to the feds. Other countries are blowing by the US in research!

There's many reports of incredible changes in the lives of people with disease that we have no treatments for(Parkinsons, seizures... )..My personal experience was dropping 180 opioids and 90 benzodiazepines monthly. But yeah, I'm just a stoner.

Of course there's no evidence when it was put on the level 1 schedule. Despite the fact people have used the plant for thousands of years for medicine. Recently the WHO recommended removing cannabis from schedule 1 status. Despite the fact it has no medical benefits, the FDA recently approved.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/01/health/marijuana-drug-epidiolex-prescription/index.html

CNN)Epidiolex, the first cannabis-based medication approved by the US Food and Drug Administration, is now available by prescription in all 50 states.
The twice-daily oral solution is approved for use in patients 2 and older to treat two types of epileptic syndromes:*Dravet syndrome, a rare genetic dysfunction of the brain that begins in the first year of life, and*Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, a form of epilepsy with multiple types of seizures that begins in early childhood, usually between ages 3 and 5.

No clinicals in the US. The US is still a knuckle-dragger on this issue, and Federal laws effectively block research and trials. So anecdotal will have to do for now.

Anyway - my wife has been using medicinal MJ since last summer. Vape pen with a cartridge of high CBD, low THC oil. She has RA. It has totally changed her life for the better. No high, either.

Now that Martha Stewart is involved it may have an impact on the suburban housewife market.
Looks like all the 2020 candidates are supporting the end of prohibition at the federal level.

My earlier post describing this as a commodity was not intended to minimize the technology involved. Just wait until Scotts/Miracle Grow (hint they already are), Monsanto, or a behemoth like Cargill get involved. The pre IPO guys will make the big bucks while they take the buyouts.

Except the one running for re-election ...

Here's a piece giving the positions on some of the likely 2020 candidates regarding marijuana decriminalization/legalization.

From the article:
President Donald Trump supports decriminalizing marijuana but believes legalization should be left up to the states — and reportedly made efforts to rein in Sessions' war on legal marijuana.

My earlier post describing this as a commodity was not intended to minimize the technology involved. Just wait until Scotts/Miracle Grow (hint they already are), Monsanto, or a behemoth like Cargill get involved. The pre IPO guys will make the big bucks while they take the buyouts.
If Miracle Gro gets involved in growing or producing cannabis, the opportunities for creative branding and naming individual products will be endless.

As much as I hate to assume, I would expect Scott’s to be involved (at least passively) in this market. In fact SMG stock is a significant holding in the MJ ETF that I plan to use as my core holding for this sector.

I've got a good amount in MO for a few reasons

1) they sell a product cheap to make with huge markup

2) they have a lot of experience working with gov't regulators - both influencing & being influenced

3) they have significant interests in Cannabis industries

Names are good but smells intrigue me. Someone needs to explain how they get Girl Scout Cookies, Thin Mint Cut to smell like thin mints! That's amazing. It's awesome when a tender tells you something is cheesey and it smells like cheese.

If I remember the story correctly TJ Cinnamons had the idea to pipe the aroma of baking rolls outside its locations. Not sure about the particulars of their demise but they were a big thing there for a while.

This an an interesting article to consider. I’ve never built a business that could potentially be as large as these big names in the industry. Anyone have an opinion on the best strategy at this point of the market? I lean towards the Aurora/Canopy approach.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/most-compelling-argument-why-tilray-160000079.html
Right now I'm only in Altria(MO) as it's a long term holding. I may pick up some canopy growth, it's relationship with constellation brands seems beneficial to both..

Between the vaping dangers that have come to light and Hexo’s statement that affected the entire space my little homegrown mutual fund is down a bit.

I don’t usually market time but I did add to the ‘seed tray’ fund today since I think it’s a matter of when not if there’s an eventual harvest.

Anyone else following or playing in this area?

I thought it was a no brainer to put some money into this segment. I tracked a bunch of stocks on Seeking Alpha for awhile but couldn’t choose so I just bought the ETF MJ instead. It’s down about 40% but it’s a tiny position. Pays a dividend, too. I’ll ride for awhile.

I'm still smoking - :)

I have not been interested in MJ stocks. Just ran across the following info to share, that is the black market has boomed and cut into sales of legal businesses which incur expensive licenses and taxes. So much for the theory that legalizing MJ would produce a lot of revenues for the states that allow it.

See the following excerpt, and also the 60 Minutes segment to be aired today Sun 10/27.

Legal marijuana in California as a business was supposed to be a no-brainer. How could it not be profitable in a liberal state pushing 40 million residents where some of the best weed in the world has been grown for decades? But nearly three years after Proposition 64, the law legalizing the adult use of the drug, was passed, California cannabis producers are not seeing the windfalls predicted. They tell Sharyn Alfonsi that regulations and a robust black market are cutting into legal pot profits. Alfonsi reports from Northern California's "Emerald Triangle" on the next edition of 60 Minutes, Sunday, October 27, at 7:30 p.m. ET and 7 p.m. PT on CBS.

"The regulated market has been a fraction of what everybody expected it to be," says Mikey Steinmetz. So far, he hasn't seen the profits promised to investors who put up $175 million to seed his pot processing center, a sprawling warehouse where he shows Alfonsi tens of thousands of pounds of cannabis being processed for sale to retailers. And those retailers are a big part of the problem – there aren't enough of them. "There's less retailers in California than there are in the State of Oregon," he tells Alfonsi. California has nearly 10 times the population of Oregon.

The California law gives local governments the right to regulate the pot shops so towns can prohibit them. A whopping 80% of the state's towns and cities have turned legal pot shops down.

That explains why when we drove a bit through CA a couple weeks ago, we saw no weed shops. Here in Oregon you can barely throw a rock without hitting one. Those “green cross” signs are everywhere.

In Oregon the lament is that there is too much supply and prices are under pressure. Which is a problem, I guess, because lower prices means less in taxes, so the state actually wants “price supports” for weed.

I don't own any as Canadian production is to high and is being warehoused and there are tremendous production increases in the works

But even with the absurd regulations and taxes CA, and to a lesser extent the other legal states, pile on, there is still a pretty significant amount of tax income. Washington and CA both had over $300M in tax revenue last year, with CO generating over $250M.

I don't see much hope for CA, as they seem to have to strangle pretty much everything with over regulation. In Oregon, where they made it easy to become legal grower and seller the black market is nearly dead, although they've produced so much that a huge amount of it is being transported illegally out of state. But if the other states would legalize and not over regulate, I think the black market would pretty much dry up. Even I, a known scofflaw, would rather buy something legally than illegally, everything else being equal.

No expert in this area, never even try MJ myself, but I understand that most states that legalize MJ allow users to have a few plants themselves for individual use and not to resell (good luck enforcing that).

So, in that case, I would expect MJ enthusiasts to grow their own and not spend any money to buy, unless it is dirt cheap. From what I read, apparently MJ is easier to grow than even tobacco. I don't see any smoker growing and harvesting tobacco, but growing MJ should be child-play, no?

I don't see any smoker growing and harvesting tobacco, but growing MJ should be child-play, no?

Well, in my earlier years (70's) and while in college, we (friends and I) grew a bunch of MJ plants in my back yard. ;) Quite simple, actually, but today's techniques and plants are much improved. A lot is grown indoors in controlled conditions nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom