Marijuana stocks

kcowan

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Most public listing for companies producing marijuana are currently on the Toronto Stock Exchange. They have been asked to provide shareholder lists to the US.

Here is a cautionary tale:
Venture capital investor banned from the US

Here is another bizarre example:
Landlord gets refused entry
He said he spoke with a commercial landlord in Edmonton who was barred because he leases property to a cannabis company in Colorado.

And also even being employed in the industry can be a problem:
Employee denied entry

Of course, the Canadian Border Officials also deny anyone in possession even if they are driving from Washington to BC, both of which are legal possession states. Hopefully that will get fixed in October.

Interesting times!

I lean strongly towards decriminalization / legalization of cannabis. However, as long as dealing MJ is a felony (volume based) at the federal level, I will stay far afield from any investment in said weed. The perp driving the getaway car can be charged with the same crime as the trigger puller. How about the investor who is underwriting a still very illegal enterprise?

Outside of a Mighty vape and couple of ounces now and then, that's all my cannabis investments.

This new war between the US and Canada over folks involved in the industry is plain stupid. Hopefully adults can see a resolution is a good idea.

Last edited:
Someone actively engaged in an illegal enterprise I can see, but this? 28 states have legalized medical and/or recreational weed. 5 more and it’s over 2/3’s. Sounds like it ought to count as an amendment to me.

Lots of speculation. Risking money on stock in int'l markets will never be illegal. The man would have to block the entire exchange, said company could then relist on other exchanges or be bought by proxy in ETF's worldwide. So the only way to block would be total capital flow restriction, ie empire collapse, Venezuela/Rwanda style. Not likely, but if it does happen.... we will all have bigger problems than a few shares of Canopy on the TSE.

I've been buying and selling a marijuana stock in my Roth. It goes up and I sell, it goes down and I buy. It's not quite a penny stock, but it's close. It's a fun way to build up cash in my Roth gambling fund. I'm not worried about being put on any lists, since I assume I've been on them all for decades anyway.

General Cannabis (CANN). It's not necessarily a good company to own, but it does seem to go up to $4 and down to $2.50, where I sell and buy. I heard about it here from someone, and just started playing with it. I just bought it for the third time recently. Next time there's good news on the MMJ or legalization front it will probably jump up to my sell point again. I suspect if you want to really invest in a MJ stock there are probably better choices.

thanks Harley, I just wanted a place to start. it's a sector I think will
make money.

I bought 1000 shares of WLDFF in the spring. Less that 1/4 of 1% of my stash. I'm down 50%. Had a few idle dollars sitting in the play account.

I’ll probably add a bit to my stash today. Just for recreation.

Last edited:
Not a user but its certainly a commodity item. A weed by definition. As the market matures I don't see a big opportunity. Easy to grow by anyone, much easier than producing beer.

Not a user but its certainly a commodity item. A weed by definition. As the market matures I don't see a big opportunity. Easy to grow by anyone, much easier than producing beer.
Yet it seem like these companies are burning thru millions of dollars and not making money.

Exactly. And that's why they'll be bought up by the big guys. A few early investors will make money on the buyout. The rest are left to pick up the crumbs.

Hi All,

I'm still holding MJ - mainly so I can talk about it at COCKTAIL parties ... the irony!

I should add that we have medical dispensaries opening up all over recently here in MD. They are in upscale locations. I think the reference to this being a commodity product are way off. A colleague that is going through a 2nd round of cancer was telling me about his experience. The product has dozens of variations depending on the medicinal requirement.

I agree with you jazz regarding true medicinal extracts but what I see are three major market components.

Medicinal uses as you say will be a high end, targeted use market.

Retail will have two audiences. There will be some home growers that will primarily need equipment to support their hobby. Quality of their product will vary by skill and devotion to the effort. The point I was making to foxfire5 is that in the retail/homegrown market there will be more people that would simply purchase from a retail outlet. Large scale production should have economies of scale, a more consistent experience, and potential branding opportunities over small scale/individual producers.

Support services is the third segment. It includes everything from lighting and fertilizers up through industrial properties for production.

JMO

Do they have clinicals to back this up or is it a bunch of stoners just making it up.

Israel, not having been manipulated for political and financial gains for decades, is so far ahead of the U.S. in medical research and Cannabis it makes us look pathetic in comparison.

This is just one tiny bit of the huge amounts of information available:

https://www.israel21c.org/is-cannabis-the-new-wonder-drug/

I have friends and relatives with M.S. and other debilitating conditions that have been prescribed medical grade Cannabis and, they have found huge relief as well as managed to get off of other toxic prescriptions and their related negative side effects.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom