Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2019, 07:24 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Uh oh, the market is not happy today.

It has not opened as of this writing, but the futures are down.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2019, 07:33 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

^ Lol.
Happy Sad that what makes it interesting. If it was always happy it would be boring and then maybe not. Lol
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

I just checked my online brokerage account, and it looks like the market is trying to bust a little smirk, at least. Like when they used to try and make Harvey Korman break character in the Carol Burnette show
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:47 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
^ Lol.
Happy Sad that what makes it interesting. If it was always happy it would be boring and then maybe not. Lol

The market is bipolar. This, I learned very quickly when I started to watch my portfolio daily some 20 years ago.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-22-2019, 07:51 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I like that description "bipolar" a lot. Lol
Old 03-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #46
Administrator

Quote:

Anyone notice an inverted yield curve this morning? The 2-5 year Treasuries are yielding less than the 3-12 months. The 10 year is also inverted.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:27 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Anyone notice an inverted yield curve this morning? The 2-5 year Treasuries are yielding less than the 3-12 months. The 10 year is also inverted.
I have noticed that the 2-5 spread has been slightly negative and that it was worse at yesterday's close. Here we go...?
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:28 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, interest rates have been dropping like a rock since the Fed announcement on Wednesday, and now even the equity market is spooked.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Yikes, the Dow is down 435 points already even this early in the day! And bouncing around like crazy (384 points down now).

Yesterday my portfolio balance was just $373 below its all time high. But today that goal looks almost unattainable any time soon.

Oh well. No danger of any "WH***!!!" posts here today. Still, what goes down must come up and vice versa, so maybe another day.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:00 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yikes, the Dow is down 435 points already even this early in the day! And bouncing around like crazy (384 points down now).

Yesterday my portfolio balance was just $373 below its all time high. But today that goal looks almost unattainable any time soon.

Oh well. No danger of any "WH***!!!" posts here today. Still, what goes down must come up and vice versa, so maybe another day.
Thank you. Now I'm wondering if I need to track near-Wh***!! moments as they seem to be an indicator as well...
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:05 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Another auto-rebalance courtesy of the market as we approach the end of the first quarter. The YTD performance thread will reawaken soon.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:37 AM   #52

Quote:
You nailed it. That news on the t bill and the quick drop in rates was enough to spike the punch. Parties over...or just getting started?
Old 03-22-2019, 01:06 PM   #53

Well, as of now about 1 hour before market close it is down a little over 1%. While I prefer up 1%, daily swings of +/- 1% are the new normal it seems. So nothing to get excited about for now. In fact the market was down more and has recovered some as the day has went along. The big question is will it tank at the end of day when the big computer driven traders need to sell?

I do think some of today's results are mostly a knee jerk reaction to the inverted yield news. So wait for the opposite reaction once the panic is over.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:58 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Also, to put it in perspective, the S&P500 dropped less than 22 points this week, or about 78 basis points.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Wow! Just got in to what happened today. Not a happy day today.

Quote:
I just read that is ^ this not a good sign.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:41 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Right after I made the above post, the market opened (6:30AM my time). Everything was going down, but I did not sell anything.

I had a couple of out-of-the-money cash-covered put options out with April expiry, and had a bit of gains on them, and these gains were dwindling.

So, I bought back the one that was closer to being assigned, and let the other be. Made a measly $112.

Went back to sleep and did not wake up till 2 hours later. Looked at my portfolio again as I was having my tea. Darn!

The only things that are up good today are my shorted covered call options. But as usual, the gain on them is only 1/10 of what I lost on the stocks.

Oh well, it is still better than not selling these options.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

^ interesting. It just amazes how you can keep all that selling and buying straight. I'm not sure I could handle all that up and down markets with me in control. I really do admire you and people that play the trade game.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:40 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
^ interesting. It just amazes how you can keep all that selling and buying straight. I'm not sure I could handle all that up and down markets with me in control. I really do admire you and people that play the trade game.
I certainly can’t! Nor do I want to!

But many folks enjoy it.