Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-17-2020, 07:05 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^^^ You made me look up my record.

From Oct 17, 2020 to today Nov 17, 2020, I gained $182,216 to be exact. Stock AA is 59% as of today, so the gain is not too bad. But I am an active investor.

And no, I hold no FAANG stocks, nor Tesla. In fact, I have never owned the aforementioned stocks in my life, nor Bitcoin and the likes.

PS. Eh, I forgot to add back in what I spent out of the stash for the month. That's a few more bucks, but in the big scheme of things, it does not amount to much.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

From Oct 17, 2020 to today Nov 17, 2020, I gained $182,216 to be exact. Stock AA is 59% as of today, so the gain is not too bad. But I am an active investor.

And no, I hold no FAANG stocks, nor Tesla. In fact, I have never owned the aforementioned stocks in my life, nor Bitcoin and the likes.

PS. Eh, I forgot to add back in what I spent out of the stash for the month. That's a few more bucks, but in the big scheme of things, it does not amount to much.
Hmmm, $182K per month. Not a fortune, but you could live on it.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:01 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipertom1970 View Post
LOVING IT !!! gained almost 9x my yearly expenses YTD.

I have only gained 4 times my yearly expenses. Poor me.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:21 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I think these gyrations are driven by traders. Pfizer needs to develop a distribution system for -70 degrees vaccine,

Freezers makers/sellers:

TMO Thermo Fisher Scientific rose 11% on the low temp freezer news, but is now back below pre vaccine news price.
Avantor inc. has a freezer division, I don't know what % of the company, but they were up about 15% since vaccine news.
I haven't found a lot of Ultralow temp freezer companies, but I suspect they will have a short jump in prices. Moderna's non low temp vaccine my blunt the rise.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:04 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

That is excellent gains for one month. Good for you!!
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:08 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, 2021 is gonna be grand! A 90% vaccine, and all that pent up demand!

We gonna party large -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:24 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

We gonna party large -
I’ll be rebalancing all the way if that happens!
Old 11-18-2020, 05:24 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

We gonna party large -
Yeah, and blow that dough!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:02 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

LOL!
Going to be an interesting new year for sure. New sheriff in town we will see how thing shake out.

Darn Robbie, you started this crap on one month thing, so I took a look also. Since I don't track/history each day, I do have my numbers from 10/01/2020. So from 10/01/2020 to the 17th of November my gain was $255,107. Not comparing apple to apples thou.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:04 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Hmmm, $182K per month. Not a fortune, but you could live on it.

I could live on it for a lot longer time than 1 month too. And that's good, because of course I do not get this gain every month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
That is excellent gains for one month. Good for you!!

Anything can happen in 1 month. In fact, anything can happen in 1 day. The most I have lost in one day is close to $100K, and the most I have gained in one day is about $60K. And I do not have more than 5% of portfolio in any single stock.

Well, today, in the morning when all the 3 indices were going up, I closed out all my put options to book the gains. Then, I went out to do some yard work.

I came back into the house after the market close, and what do you know, all the market gain evaporated and all 3 indices closed in the red. Good thing I closed out the puts. The total gain from the options is a lot less than the loss on the stocks, but it still helps.

This market turns on a dime, and I have learned to book the gains from options quickly, in order to prepare for the next round.

I don't want to be a day trader, but the market makes me.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

We gonna party large -

You apparently did not get the most recent memo. Pfizer/BioNTech says in the most recent report that their vaccine has the efficacy of 95%, instead of the preliminary 90% number.

I'd say that 95% is twice as good as 90%. It means that out of 100 inoculated people, only 5 will still contract the disease instead of 10. That's 1/2 the people getting sick.

The market still goes down, I guess because a lot more people will die because they are out partying already before the vaccine gets to them. They cannot wait.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:42 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The market still goes down, I guess because a lot more people will die because they are out partying already before the vaccine gets to them. They cannot wait.
CNBC seemed to think that the market went down today after New York (City?) announced that the public primary schools were closing down again due to the disease prevalence exceeding their threshold. They thought the knock on effects of parents having to stay home with kids would adversely impact the economy there.

There's more to the United States than NYC, but CNBC sometimes forgets that ;-) Perhaps Wall Street forgot that as well.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:46 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
LOL!
Going to be an interesting new year for sure. New sheriff in town we will see how thing shake out.

Darn Robbie, you started this crap on one month thing, so I took a look also. Since I don't track/history each day, I do have my numbers from 10/01/2020. So from 10/01/2020 to the 17th of November my gain was $255,107. Not comparing apple to apples thou.

My number from 10/01/2020 to 11/17/2020 at $308,824 is significantly higher than yours. How's that for doing one better?

What does this all mean? It simply means that I stand to lose a lot more when the market takes a downturn, which it has started to do already.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:11 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

I just saw something, when looking back at my diary.

From 10/01/2020 to 10/17/2020, I had a wonderful gain of more than $126K. But all that gain evaporated on 10/31/2020. In fact, I ended up with just a slight gain for the month. What the heck?

At closer look, I see that the DJ went from 27,782 at the start of October to a high of 28,828 (gain of 3.8%) in the middle of the month, then slid back down to close at 26,502 at the end of the month. That's a loss of 4.6% from the beginning of the month, and 8% from the month's high. That's bad. The S&P lost 2.8% that month. The NASDAQ lost 2.3%. And I was still up slightly.

Wow, I have to look deeper at my holdings to understand how.

PS. In October, utility, mining, and semiconductor stocks outperformed the overall market. That saved the day for me. My option trading also helps.

PPS. The market behaved very badly in October, and that's just 3 weeks ago. And I forgot already. There goes my "superior" memory.

Old 11-19-2020, 05:36 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just saw something, when looking back at my diary.

From 10/01/2020 to 10/17/2020, I had a wonderful gain of more than $126K. But all that gain evaporated on 10/31/2020. In fact, I ended up with just a slight gain for the month. What the heck?

At closer look, I see that the DJ went from 27,782 at the start of October to a high of 28,828 (gain of 3.8%) in the middle of the month, then slid back down to close at 26,502 at the end of the month. That's a loss of 4.6% from the beginning of the month, and 8% from the month's high. That's bad. The S&P lost 2.8% that month. The NASDAQ lost 2.3%. And I was still up slightly.

Wow, I have to look deeper at my holdings to understand how.

PS. In October, utility, mining, and semiconductor stocks outperformed the overall market. That saved the day for me. My option trading also helps.

PPS. The market behaved very badly in October, and that's just 3 weeks ago. And I forgot already. There goes my "superior" memory.
Interesting stuff! You are rich also!!! Lol
If I was a day trader I would be dead broke. My hat goes off to you and others that actually play the game and win or lose from your own making. Way more knowledge an understanding of the markets then the average Joe.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:27 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Interesting stuff! You are rich also!!! Lol
If I was a day trader I would be dead broke. My hat goes off to you and others that actually play the game and win or lose from your own making. Way more knowledge an understanding of the markets then the average Joe.
I am not rich, and simply lucky in the recent 6-7 weeks. If I could get that kind of return consistently, I would be rich, yes.

What do I know about the market? They say even a monkey can beat professional stock pickers, so I try to behave like a monkey. Sometimes it works, other times it does not.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:09 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am not rich, and simply lucky in the recent 6-7 weeks. If I could get that kind of return consistently, I would be rich, yes.

What do I know about the market? They say even a monkey can beat professional stock pickers, so I try to behave like a monkey. Sometimes it works, other times it does not.
Lol! Rich or poor or whatever, I'm just razzing you and always enjoy your company! I have learned a lot from you and find your way with finance is very intriguing to me.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:24 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

At one time during the pandemic I was down 800 grand. Did nothing. Then got even and now up around 15% YTD.

That's the market!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:35 PM   #99

I am a small fry compared to you guys. But I am also somewhat a more conservative investor I suspect. I was down 160K during the pandemic. Now I have blown past my all time high and those pandemic losses are in the rear view mirror. Keep it going baby!

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:39 PM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I am a small fry compared to you guys. But I am also somewhat a more conservative investor I suspect. I was down 160K during the pandemic. Now I have blown past my all time high and those pandemic losses are in the rear view mirror. Keep it going baby!
Small fry here too. Down $102k, now up $142k. At least the big dogs provide some great inspiration. Kudos to all.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote