Join Early Retirement Today

Microhoo - Good idea or Bad?
Old 03-16-2008, 06:43 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Microhoo - Good idea or Bad?

Is the Microsoft Yahoo deal another Time Warner/AOL bad idea? Too late?
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

MS is trying to improve it's web presence because MSN is a joke. the key is retaining the top people and keeping the customers. since there is nothing behind yahoo except top talent to keep the website running the key is retaining the top talent.

and the amount of customers on there makes it a great platform to compete in the online apps marketplace that google is in. microsoft's business software can suddenly get an online version for all the people selling through yahoo stores to manage their business.

a lot of good synergies if they play it right and from what i read MS is a great company to be bought out by
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #3

I've owned MSFT for a long time. I think this merger is a terrible idea. YHOO is an eroding brand, IMO. I don't think it is worth paying $40+ billion for a company that is losing ground daily to google.

The market appears to hate the deal, since MSFT has lost at least $40 billion in market cap since the deal was announced. The market is basically saying that the deal has negative synergy. I agree, although I think the market is being a little too pessimistic.

I'm hoping MSFT just gives up and walks away from the deal.

I think the YHOO management should have jumped at the deal. If they can't get MSFT to raise their bid, I think eventually YHOO will be worth a lot less in the future.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I've owned MSFT for a long time. I think this merger is a terrible idea. YHOO is an eroding brand, IMO. I don't think it is worth paying $40+ billion for a company that is losing ground daily to google.

The market appears to hate the deal, since MSFT has lost at least $40 billion in market cap since the deal was announced. The market is basically saying that the deal has negative synergy. I agree, although I think the market is being a little too pessimistic.

I think the YHOO management should have jumped at the deal. If they can't get MSFT to raise their bid, I think eventually YHOO will be worth a lot less in the future.
Before the deal was announced YHOO was trading around $20. Then MSFT offers $30, but YHOO refuses saying it's worth $40. I don't get it. How can they say it's worth $40 when it was trading at $20 before? :confused:

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Before the deal was announced YHOO was trading around $20. Then MSFT offers $30, but YHOO refuses saying it's worth $40. I don't get it. How can they say it's worth $40 when it was trading at $20 before? :confused:
Some of it is expectations on the Microsoft bid. Others may anticipate that YHOO will be better managed or synergies will yield a better valuation. Or just out and out speculation.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The market appears to hate the deal, since MSFT has lost at least $40 billion in market cap since the deal was announced.
How much market cap would MSFT have lost if it merely performed inline with the rest of the Nasdaq 100 since Mister Softie's intentions were first announced?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:19 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wouldn't it just be cheaper if M$ hired headhunter(s) and got all of Yahoo's "talent"?

I wonder why they don't do this. It's got to be cheaper than buying Yahoo.

-CC
Old 03-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE View Post
Wouldn't it just be cheaper if M$ hired headhunter(s) and got all of Yahoo's "talent"?

-CC
As I understand it, this was a classic Microsoft tactic in the past:

1. Propose to acquire company X
2. Discover identities of key personnel during acquisition talks with company X.
3. Break off acquisition talks.
4. Hire key personnel away from company X.

In this case it seems like they want the Yahoo brand to give them some web credibility. Besides, a lot of Yahoo's top talent might have already gone down the street to Google
DroopyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE View Post

-CC
not just talent, yahoo has a lot of customers using it's services that aren't very easy to get without buying yahoo
Old 03-16-2008, 04:16 PM   #10

Quote:

Google is #1 in search and beind everyone else in every other service they offer. and the next generation of search technology is a few years away and there is no guarantee that google will be #1 again. 10 years ago if you told people google would be the search leader they would think you are on drugs.

Google is a master of taking everyone's information on the internet and presenting it in a bare manner, like Google Finance. they are also masters at making a new gee whiz service, keeping it in beta forever, making a few changes and then forgetting it. which is what happens when you let engineers run everything.

Yahoo has real data and real services like yahoo finances which tops Google in hits. and one day the people that create the information that google takes will stop letting google use it for free