MSFT or GOOGL

freedom2022

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi all,

Would you like to share which one you prefer and the reason?
I don't want to hold both stocks.
MSFT pays dividend but GOOGL not.

Thanks.

Type of account, pre or after tax? That could influence the decision if taxes are a factor. Both are big dominating companies in their fields. I would probably lean toward MSFT, only because I think Google will be getting some upcoming scrutiny by govt that could affect the stock price. That's my $.02 contribution.

I think it's silly not to hold both, since you are willing to buy each.
Unless you are planning to buy enough shares to force a seat on the board, it really only makes 1 more line on your statement.
Yet it means you would be hedging your bets, Google is mostly advertisement driven, MSFT is driven by cloud and business software.

I’ve owned MSFT for a couple of decades. Google I only have through ETFs. My two other tech stock holdings are Apple and Broadcom. I’ve been very happy owning all three as part of my core holdings. I don’t care to hold individual stocks where most of their revenue comes from advertising and selling personal data.

Own both. Have added to GOOG. Awaiting lower prices for MSFT. GOOG quite a bit cheaper on earnings basis, but more downside risk heading into recession.

I like both for the long-term.

I never owned either, until I recently got assigned GOOG via OTM cash-covered puts. GOOG dropped quite a bit, and the value was decent enough for me to take some risk.

Well, GOOG dropped some more, and I am currently down -12%. But that's OK. You cannot expect to win immediately with every purchase. I may add to this position gradually.

I am looking to accumulate some more tech stocks that are beaten down. I think MSFT is also fairly valued, and would not mind building a position. I will get it via writing OTM puts like I usually do.

PS. Currently, these growth 2 stocks are not commanding a higher value than the total S&P. It means I am not paying a premium for the potential growth. I like it when I am not overpaying for the growth prospect. I really don't know which one is better, but think that they are comparable. And I always want to diversify.

Last edited:
I never owned either, until I recently got assigned GOOG via OTM cash-covered puts. GOOG dropped quite a bit, and the value was decent enough for me to take some risk.

Well, GOOG dropped some more, and I am currently down -12%. But that's OK. You cannot expect to win immediately with every purchase. I may add to this position gradually.

I am looking to accumulate some more tech stocks that are beaten down. I think MSFT is also fairly valued, and would not mind building a position. I will get it via writing OTM puts like I usually do.

PS. Currently, these growth 2 stocks are not commanding a higher value than the total S&P. It means I am not paying a premium for the potential growth. I like it when I am not overpaying for the growth prospect. I really don't know which one is better, but think that they are comparable. And I always want to diversify.

Your post reminded me that I had a question for you. When you do out of the money puts, typically how far and what month (relative to current date). Similar question on covered calls.(It's more of a curiosity question.)

I prefer to sell options with a very short fuse of only 1 to 2 weeks out. When a desirable stock drops 2 to 3% in a day, I offer to buy it at 2% even lower, in exchange for an option premium of 0.5 to 1% or higher.

In other words, I am willing to own the stock at a price 2.5% to 3% lower than where it is right now, and that's after it has already dropped quite a few percents after 2 or 3 consecutive days.

If the stock does not continue to drop, I don't get to buy it, but pocket the 0.5 to 1% option premium. Then wait to do it again.

Similar thing with selling call options to sell a rising stock that I own at an even higher price, for an option premium of 0.5 to 1% in 1 week. Rinse and repeat.

I can usually find something dropping a lot to sell cash-covered puts on, and something in my inventory rising a lot to sell covered calls on. I only sell options, not buy them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom