Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-25-2022, 09:15 AM   #861
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, I am not surprised JPM does not have my interests first I looked at it and did a quick average calculation and realized it was not better than a straight 5 year so why bother.
npage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2022, 03:14 PM   #862
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Step CDs are really just marketing tools, concocted to reduce the risk of the issuing bank! (and entice the buyer with the potential of higher rates in the future)

I tend to agree but the ones I’ve seen are issued by a credit union and not callable. I assume your comments are primarily for brokered products?
Old 06-25-2022, 03:33 PM   #863
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I tend to agree but the ones I’ve seen are issued by a credit union and not callable. I assume your comments are primarily for brokered products?
Yes

If you have access to non-callable step CDs, that is a better product in my view.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:32 AM   #864

10-year treasury now below 3.0% again.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:32 PM   #865
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Head scratcher. the 30 year mortgage/10 Yr Treasury gap has to be the widest its been in some time.
madatrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:18 PM   #866
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatrub View Post
Head scratcher. the 30 year mortgage/10 Yr Treasury gap has to be the widest its been in some time.
You think? I haven’t followed that relationship, but they seemed to rise simultaneously.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:57 PM   #867
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
You think? I haven’t followed that relationship, but they seemed to rise simultaneously.

only 3 times in the last 20 years has it crossed ~2.2%, 2 out of 3 were recessions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-06-30 155649.jpg (86.5 KB, 23 views)
madatrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:49 PM   #868
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Non callable brokered CD payable monthly 3.75%, Celtic Bank Utah.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:12 PM   #869

Quote:
Originally Posted by npage View Post
Non callable brokered CD payable monthly 3.75%, Celtic Bank Utah.
If I am looking at same on Fido, above issue is a 9 year issue. Celtic also offer 3.65 at 7 yr.
nwsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:12 PM   #870
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatrub View Post
only 3 times in the last 20 years has it crossed ~2.2%, 2 out of 3 were recessions.
Very interesting.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:23 PM   #871
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
If I am looking at same on Fido, above issue is a 9 year issue. Celtic also offer 3.65 at 7 yr.
Ooops, yes, 9 yr. 3.75% 7 yr. 3.65%, 5 year 3.35%. All payable monthly and not callable.

Of that bunch seems the 7 year is a sweet spot. But all together not bad for 7 and 10 year. Depending on your tax situation it is above 3% net of tax.

For me at least makes me think about longer term for money not needed until then. I get the idea of going shorter but if in two years when a shorter term CD comes due these rates are long gone, well...you know..of course we don't know.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:51 PM   #872

Quote:
Originally Posted by npage View Post
Ooops, yes, 9 yr. 3.75% 7 yr. 3.65%, 5 year 3.35%. All payable monthly and not callable.

Of that bunch seems the 7 year is a sweet spot. But all together not bad for 7 and 10 year. Depending on your tax situation it is above 3% net of tax.

For me at least makes me think about longer term for money not needed until then. I get the idea of going shorter but if in two years when a shorter term CD comes due these rates are long gone, well...you know..of course we don't know.
Personally, given extraordinary uncertainties, I more inclined to stay under 3 years for now. To add to your issues, I am more attracted to the 3.3% issues for two years for which Fido shows several including a USB with no call and monthly pay
nwsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:19 PM   #873
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah I can see that side too. My basic thought process depending on which way the wind blows is taking it all to three years say. 6 to 18 months, inflation tamed, fed lowers rates, we never see these rates again. My 2 and 3 years come due and I wish I had a bunch of longer term paying 3 to 4%.

I have some USB when they first hit 3%, same monthly. They were actually 30 month issue ending 11/24. Should probably sell and go for the 3.3%.

And all of this is tinkering with 20% of portfolio that is kept in cash/cd/muni/treasury. So it is the safest stuff I own and tweaking for a couple tenths but none of it will greatly change my life a few tenths one way or the other, unless I could have the entire 20% paying 10% in treasury or CD's ;-) Then I go from Kia Soul to Hyundai Santa Fe lavish life!
Old 07-01-2022, 11:10 AM   #874
Full time employment: Posting here.

I bought Goldman Sachs 3 yr non-callable at 3.35% last week.

Was hoping to see more opportunities this month.
Born2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 04:00 PM   #875
Recycles dryer sheets

Thought to long, Celtic ones went quick. We'll see what the next round holds.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:17 AM   #876

Bond market doubts Fed's ability to thread the needle

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bond-...191844097.html

We (some of us) saw this coming.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:43 AM   #877
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I used the last of my cash allocated to my ladder earlier this week. Bought 20, 2029, 4.4% double tax free muni’s.
I doubled the yield of my ladder since March. I have $25,000 maturing next month and about $130,000 more maturing into Fall. Yields might be higher then, but I sorta doubt it. I might be very happy with what I have, locking in some of these higher yields under 10 years.
How possible could you really do that I try as much to get there but I keep falling apart
Owenliruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:34 AM   #878
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Bond market doubts Fed's ability to thread the needle

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bond-...191844097.html

We (some of us) saw this coming.
A lot of wishful thinking in that article by the wall street traders who are going to get creamed when rates go further up and stocks slide down. Powell's at the point of no return.....higher interest rates and QT for everybody.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:02 AM   #879

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
A lot of wishful thinking in that article by the wall street traders who are going to get creamed when rates go further up and stocks slide down. Powell's at the point of no return.....higher interest rates and QT for everybody.
Powell only has control over short term rates. Market controls everything else. He's simply going to drive an inverted yield curve which will further lead to a recession.

It's not just Wall Street traders who've been buying up bonds and fixed income - look at the posts here. Folks have been flocking to lock in their 3% and higher yields.

Lastly, the market looks forward. Powell may well get to 3% or higher. But the market is looking beyond that and what comes next. Depending how deep a recession he wants to throw the country in to, he's going to be lowering rates just as quickly. Other economists are already going on record that rates will have to be lowered in 2023.

We'll see how it plays out. Should longer term rates move higher, great - I want to lock in more before this is all over.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:45 AM   #880
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenliruna View Post
How possible could you really do that I try as much to get there but I keep falling apart
A few weeks ago there were still bonds like that available. Now you have to go longer in duration because yields have dropped.

Over my investing lifetime, I have bought hundreds of bonds. It’s almost intuitive now, but it all starts with buying a single bond. It gets easier and your confidence grows.