Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-05-2022, 03:06 PM   #881
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just got my first interest payment for my first Muni bond. Man, I LOVE it when the money just comes in on every payment date!!!
Born2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2022, 04:13 PM   #882
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Fish View Post
Just got my first interest payment for my first Muni bond. Man, I LOVE it when the money just comes in on every payment date!!!
HOORAY!! I remember the feeling of that first tax-free interest payment. You will smile again at tax time.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:42 PM   #883
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Fish View Post
Congrats! It's a nice feeling.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:44 PM   #884
Give me a forum ...

Its even a better feeling when the monthly interest payments are more than you need to live on.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:02 PM   #885
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Its even a better feeling when the monthly interest payments are more than you need to live on.
I bet that’s a great feeling.
Born2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:40 PM   #886

9.48% effective yield...for 6 days. Money didn't have any better uses so what the heck.

27.9% annual before the $1/CD commission.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gsb.jpg (37.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 07-08-2022, 09:45 AM   #887
Give me a forum ...

So did you buy them all? Leave any for the rest of us? Just kidding.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:01 AM   #888

Purchased muni this morning. Then the phone rang about an hour ago - dealer claims mistake. Same old, same old...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg db.jpg (142.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-12-2022, 09:03 AM   #889
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Purchased muni this morning. Then the phone rang about an hour ago - dealer claims mistake. Same old, same old...
I’ve had buy orders canceled that should not have been canceled, but never had one rescinded. Wow.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:23 AM   #890

Quote:
I’ve had buy orders canceled that should not have been canceled, but never had one rescinded. Wow.
Can you imagine if you hit the buy or sell button and then afterwards claimed it was a mistake and asked the broker to reverse it? How loudly would they laugh?
Old 07-12-2022, 11:22 AM   #891
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Can you imagine if you hit the buy or sell button and then afterwards claimed it was a mistake and asked the broker to reverse it? How loudly would they laugh?
No lie.
Old 07-16-2022, 05:32 PM   #892
Give me a forum ...

So my home state of MD has decided to shake things up by offering a series of 30 yr zero coupon bonds. Home state bonds generally get A2 or better ratings and the yields reflect that. I’ve reached for yield by going out 20 yrs and buying high rated county bonds with good coupons. Most new issues here have decent coupons but the premium pricing crushes the yield. I never understood that part. Anyway these are not issues that I would normally be attracted to (Stadium bonds lumped in with public school issues). The expected pricing yields 5% but 30 yrs is just a bit too far out for me. I hate the way Fido assumes 37% rate to estimate taxable equivalent. Maybe I’ll nibble.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:03 AM   #893

I think it's good to steer clear of new issues as you have no leverage. They set the prices, you take it or leave it. In the secondary market, you are able to pick and choose. Generally, the yields are going to be better, because everyone could simply subscribe for the new issue. So the secondary market is competing with the primary in that sense. As you know, you are able to bid in the secondary market, so there is even more opportunity for higher yields if you've done your research and can identify issues that are potentially mispriced and a dealer that is looking to unload inventory.
Old 07-17-2022, 10:08 AM   #894
Give me a forum ...

That comparison of new vs. secondary makes sense. I’d be 95 when these zeros mature. No income in the meantime unless I sell. My very first muni was a new issue priced at par with 22 yr maturity. I think that experience set my expectations wrt new issues. I took a tax hit on an IRA distribution to get the bond into a taxable account. A regional broker sold it to me on a cold call but never came up with anything of value after that.
Old 07-21-2022, 05:33 PM   #895

Fidelity is once again having their $100 bonus offer for opening an account and depositing $50 in it. This is available for new or existing customers who have not previously done the offer.

Last year I was able to do this for DW, but mine was screwed up in the process. I just signed up for it again for myself, and it looks like it will work this time.

Since I now control mom's accounts, I'll do one for her as well.

https://www.fidelity.com/go/starter-pack
Old 07-22-2022, 07:47 AM   #896

10-year treasury yield cratering - currently 2.74%.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:39 PM   #897
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
10-year treasury yield cratering - currently 2.74%.
Good stuff if you bought the recent muni yield spike. I used up all my maturing funds cash to buy everything I could 45 ish days ago.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:03 PM   #898

Quote:
Good stuff if you bought the recent muni yield spike. I used up all my maturing funds cash to buy everything I could 45 ish days ago.
We just sold mom's car this week and closed on selling her condo last week, so we have a lot of funds to deploy. We did pretty well this week and last between CDs, Treasuries, and munis. I did find a few good deals for the munis. Will be interesting to see what happens next week after the rate hike - however much it will be.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:09 PM   #899
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We just sold mom's car this week and closed on selling her condo last week, so we have a lot of funds to deploy. We did pretty well this week and last between CDs, Treasuries, and munis. I did find a few good deals for the munis. Will be interesting to see what happens next week after the rate hike - however much it will be.
I am assuming and we know how problematic assuming is, that short term rates will rise and intermediate and long term will show little movement. We shall see.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:46 PM   #900

Quote:
I am assuming and we know how problematic assuming is, that short term rates will rise and intermediate and long term will show little movement. We shall see.
As I've pointed out over the past several months - 3.0% for the 10-year seems to be the resistance point. It can get there and even above for a short period, but then it gets smacked back down. We'll see if that continues to hold - I believe it will. I think after the hike, we'll see it move higher again for a short while before going back down. I'm hoping that's what happens once again, with some short-term volatility and we'll get another short period of higher yields for new purchases.