Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
Thanks, actually I suspect I won't hit the sell button till Friday, depending on the netflix earnings announcement tonight?
I wish I’m brave enough to initiate a trade on Netflix, I have no idea what to do except I know there will be sharp move, up or down. However, I sold out last month and now it’s a lot lower than when I sold out.

EDIT to add, NETFLIX is up sharply after house, almost plus $50, more than 10%. My guess is the market will be up tomorrow.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have never had the FAANG stocks (Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Google). The earning I am waiting to see is that of Lam Research, to be released shortly after market close today.

If LRCX does badly, there will hell to pay in the semiconductor shares that I own. Micron Technology capex is something close to $10B. Intel capex is even higher. What cash Tesla needs is peanuts compared to what these semi guys spend on their factories.

PS. Tesla never made money, but Micron P/E is less than 4. Take that, Musk.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:11 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have never had the FAANG stocks (Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Google). The earning I am waiting to see is from Lam Research, to be released shortly after market close today.

If LRCX does badly, there will hell to pay in the semiconductor shares that I own. Micron Technology capex is something close to $10B. Intel capex is even higher. What cash Tesla needs is peanuts compared to what these semi guys spend.

I admire you for holding on to these semiconductor stocks. I’ve been out of AMD and INTC. INTC was recently, but AMD a while back.
Let’s hope tech stocks go back up this week. My kid’s RSUs can get a good bounce.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Semi stocks had a wonderful run up in 2017. That's how my return last year was 20%, despite a diversified portfolio at 70% stock AA.

This year, they have not been doing so well despite making money over fist, because people say that they are topping out. It could be true, but I have been writing out-of-the-money covered calls on them, and manage to reduce my losses.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-16-2018, 03:59 PM   #45

Quote:
If LRCX does badly, there will hell to pay in the semiconductor shares that I own. Micron Technology capex is something close to $10B. Intel capex is even higher.
-25% Qtr over Qtr revenue drop.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:43 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

The revenue drop was already anticipated.

The reported revenue and earnings both surpass the estimates. Forward guidance was also good. The stock jumped 6% in after-hour trading.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:09 PM   #47

Yea, Lamb was looking good after hours. I used to be very exposed to semi's as my largest holding was LLTC which was acquired by ADI (mostly for cash). Even the small stock part of the deal was enough where it is still almost 5% of my individual stock holdings, and it plus QCOM, INTC, CSCO, OLED and some modest play money in CY, MRVL together are about 12-13% of my individual equities.

OLED is the most recent addition, I bought some of it at around $92 and then down at $81-$82, and fortunately it has had a decent move upward.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:16 AM   #48

Bought another 60k today on the dip. Overall price is still 279.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:20 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I wish I’m brave enough to initiate a trade on Netflix, I have no idea what to do except I know there will be sharp move, up or down. However, I sold out last month and now it’s a lot lower than when I sold out.

EDIT to add, NETFLIX is up sharply after house, almost plus $50, more than 10%. My guess is the market will be up tomorrow.
I’m so glad I closed on this trade a few weeks ago. Today, NETFLIX is lower than when I sold. Plus the premium would be decaying.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:20 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
Bought another 60k today on the dip. Overall price is still 279.
I missed the low, now it’s back up.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:42 AM   #51

Ok, put me down for another 60k today.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #52

I’m waiting to see where it goes toward closing time. Could be lower.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #53

Quote:
I have never had the FAANG stocks (Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Google). The earning I am waiting to see is that of Lam Research, to be released shortly after market close today.

If LRCX does badly, there will hell to pay in the semiconductor shares that I own. Micron Technology capex is something close to $10B. Intel capex is even higher. What cash Tesla needs is peanuts compared to what these semi guys spend on their factories.

10% of my portfolio is AAPL
6% AMZN

Surpisgingly no NFLX Shoulda bought that years ago. meh.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #54

Set a limit for $333 to expire for next 30. I won't tell how many shares though lol. A gentlemens call. That's another 4% drop or so. I hope this one doesn't fill lol.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:41 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Set a limit for $333 to expire for next 30. I won't tell how many shares though lol. A gentlemens call. That's another 4% drop or so. I hope this one doesn't fill lol.
Which stock, NFLX.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #56

I initiated a position in IQ (China's Netflix) yesterday and also on NIO (Tesla Killer).
Old 10-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Assume that you are talking about NFLX, it popped from 347 to 372 after the good earning report, then drops back to 348 as of this writing.

I saw that the put option at 330, expiry Oct 16, was close to $10. So, if I sold that put, and it drops to that price, it would be the same as buying it at 320. If it does not drop that low, I pocket the $10.

Sounds easy, but I wrote a put option like that for a stock at 150, and will have to pay that price at expiry today, while it is at 120. Ouch!

Old 10-18-2018, 01:51 PM   #58

I’m thinking of buying put on NFLX, after good earning release it only went up to $366. But today it dropped $10, so I’m not sure it’s good to buy put. Not selling put, oh no, too risky.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Me think selling an out-of-the-money put (with strike price well below current price) is less risky than buying the stock outright. The potential gain is of course limited, in exchange for the lower risk.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #60

I did that with VTI last week, I did make some money. I knew it’s safe to hold VTI if it’s assigned to me.