Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, holding broader market long-term is safer than holding any individual stock, which could go bankrupt. The reward is also reduced accordingly. Ain't no free lunch.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2018, 10:13 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Assume that you are talking about NFLX, it popped from 347 to 372 after the good earning report, then drops back to 348 as of this writing.

I saw that the put option at 330, expiry Oct 16, was close to $10. So, if I sold that put, and it drops to that price, it would be the same as buying it at 320. If it does not drop that low, I pocket the $10.

Sounds easy, but I wrote a put option like that for a stock at 150, and will have to pay that price at expiry today, while it is at 120. Ouch!
The price action on NFLX (up strongly on the earnings report only to give it all back and then some) is negative and helps me to keep away from it. Having said that, I am likely one of the few to have lost money on NFLX.
Bought xxx NFLX @ 85.83 on 10/11/2011
Sold xxx NFLX @ 95.391 on 1/13/2012 for a profit of $9.56/share
Bought xxx NFLX @ 87.8398 on 4/24/2012
Sold xxx NFLX @ 73.4001 on 10/8/2012 for a loss of $14.43/share

NFLX had a 7 for 1 split in 2015, making those shares I bought on 4/24/12 have a cost basis in terms of today's shares of $12.55, which means at today's price I would have made about 26 to 27 TIMES my initial investment had I held the shares.

Given that, never mind on my price action comment.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:37 PM   #63

I read somewhere last year, starting with $1000 invested in each of FANG stock since their IPOs, some goes back to 1980s for Apple, NFLX shareholder ends up with $50k, vs $10K-12k for the rest of the FANG stocks. Business insider for an article June, 2018.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:33 AM   #64

Bought more SPY today, now about 60% finished with my nibbling!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

The market has been so darn bearish, the pop with positive earning outlook did not last long with LRCX and NFLX, which is obvious to people who follow the market.

I stopped nibbling before that, and have been trying to sell call options but opportunities to do that have been rare. Darn!

If I did not have such high stock AA already, would be buying but a guy needs to limit his risks.

No more nibbling as I am already full. Try to avoid indigestion at this point.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-23-2018, 09:45 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The market has been so darn bearish, the pop with positive earning outlook did not last long with LRCX and NFLX, which is obvious to people who follow the market.

I stopped nibbling before that, and have been trying to sell call options but opportunities to do that have been rare. Darn!

If I did not have such high stock AA already, would be buying but a guy needs to limit his risks.

No more nibbling as I am already full. Try to avoid indigestion at this point.
It's hard to for me to be positive on NFLX, given that they are burning through about $800 million per quarter right now. It's easy to show massive growth when you are selling dollars for 80 cents, but it sure isn't a business I'd want to own.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

As of today, the S&P 500 is 8% off it's yearly high. I think it will go into correction (10% below high) soon.
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:09 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

No DMTing here, but VGK tripped the 10% down alarm, so I bought enough to bring it back to even.

BIV, VG’s intermediate bond fund, tripped a few months back. I hesitated until the Sept rate increase, feeling a bit paranoid buying into the rising rate scenario. But, though it’s only reacted slightly upward as the equity market has swooned, it’s now at almost 5% on the upward side of the 10% band, and is, thusly, doing its job.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
It's hard to for me to be positive on NFLX, given that they are burning through about $800 million per quarter right now. It's easy to show massive growth when you are selling dollars for 80 cents, but it sure isn't a business I'd want to own.
I never have NFLX, and rather have LRCX which I do not own recently. I look at stocks that I do not own to have a feel for the market sentiment. That's what a market timer does.

And the market looks ahead. Even when earnings are still climbing, investors worry about what's over the hill top. Maybe the gloomy outlook is self-fulfilling.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #70

Bought a little VTI, VXUS, VFIAX and VGT - about $9k in all, so a nibble indeed.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Nibbling is good. Better save stomach for more tasty dishes coming later.

Too bad I am already full.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #72

Ha! I have some more dry powder left but the challenge is always knowing when to use it...sigh.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:32 PM   #73

I caught both the low/high today (bought the dip/sold the rally) S&P position is back under 40% again.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Tax loss harvested int'l on Monday. First opportunity for me to TLH since 2016 since all my bonds are in tax deferred. Nothing else to do since I haven't hit my 5% bands. It's nice to have rules.
HMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Well.....
Old 10-24-2018, 09:05 AM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Well.....

I retired from the stock market pretty much in 2009.I decided to depend on my own earning power through my very small business.It turned out fine.I just retired at 65 last year from my business and have been about 65 pct CDs with the rest in Ibonds,a couple high quality GO muni’s and a few high quality Corp bonds.Throw in a few vanguard bond funds and a dash of Wellesley which is my only stock holding.Right now that portfolio is yielding about 47,000 per year and I sleep like a baby.No real regrets about missing the bull because that is hindsight.It could have been much different.
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJpop View Post
I retired from the stock market pretty much in 2009.I decided to depend on my own earning power through my very small business.It turned out fine.I just retired at 65 last year from my business and have been about 65 pct CDs with the rest in Ibonds,a couple high quality GO muni’s and a few high quality Corp bonds.Throw in a few vanguard bond funds and a dash of Wellesley which is my only stock holding.Right now that portfolio is yielding about 47,000 per year and I sleep like a baby.No real regrets about missing the bull because that is hindsight.It could have been much different.
I feel sorry for your wife. That waking up, crying every two hours would drive me crazy!
Old 10-24-2018, 12:07 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Sleep like a colicky baby?

Old 10-24-2018, 01:55 PM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.

Total market index (looking at VTI) made it to -10% today but believe S+P is at -9% from market high.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #79

Bought 53k Spy on the close today, hoping for a "pop" this week before we turn lower. The selloff/rally yesterday and sell off today happened on 1/2 the volume you would expect for a market bottom.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:42 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
Bought 53k Spy on the close today, hoping for a "pop" this week before we turn lower. The selloff/rally yesterday and sell off today happened on 1/2 the volume you would expect for a market bottom.
How do you arrive at this sort of idea?

I'm tempted to buy some SPY for a rise over the next couple of months. Maybe another 5% of portfolio. The market data I look at shows no signs like previous major declines into recessions. US leading index is in "normal" territory, we don't have an inverted yield curve, etc. On the other hand, politically things seem somewhat unstable, possible worse trade war scare, etc. There is always an "on the other hand".

I have no way of timing a market panic and no way to estimate the bottom. My feeling is Mr Market is a scaredy cat at the moment. Could turn any time.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote