Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2022, 11:36 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post
If 50 basis points pushed bonds ~9% and stocks 20% I wonder what 100 points will do.

Thx for the article.

I'm not sure we have to wonder too much. The Fed members said early in the year they had 6 - 7 rate increases penciled in. Unless things change, 6 50 point increases would mean 300 points for the year.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2022, 11:36 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use to be 100% in stocks.... until 2008 housing bubble hit. Then I realized 1) my tolerance for risk wasn't as high as I thought it was and 2) Your mental health can affect your physical health. I was lucky to learn that lesson in my mid 40s rather than in my 60s.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I'm not sure we have to wonder too much. The Fed members said early in the year they had 6 - 7 rate increases penciled in. Unless things change, 6 50 point increases would mean 300 points for the year.
Even better

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:08 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

In 2008 I had about 80% stocks and 20% bonds, very little cash. The 2008 Great Recession was a terrible time for me, I could not sleep at night. I did not want to sell stocks at a huge loss so I had to cut way back one my spending. I held on and did not sell but I learned that I cannot tolerate a 80% in the stock market. After my stocks recovered I sold a chunk of stock and now have about 50% stocks, 20% bonds and 30% cash (primarily CDs). I do not even checking the markets now, I sleep much better.

IMO everyone needs to consider their risk tolerance and needs and come up with a plan they can live with without panicking. For me anyway I definitely could not tolerate 100% stocks.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:53 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Here's a prediction that I've already made (on ER.org) but I will repeat: The Fed will pivot by the end of the year. (As time goes on, I am inclined to think it might even be sooner.) Why? Because economic conditions are deteriorating quickly. Even though they have a dual mandate, there will be intense pressure on them when it becomes obvious (even to the dense) that we are in a recession. They will declare victory as inflation "moderates", and everyone will celebrate only to eventually see inflation kick higher.

That's why I am now up to 6.5% of my assets in PM's/commodities. Could I be wrong? Sure, that's why the % isn't 50% or 100%.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:06 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Here's a prediction that I've already made (on ER.org) but I will repeat: The Fed will pivot by the end of the year. (As time goes on, I am inclined to think it might even be sooner.) Why? Because economic conditions are deteriorating quickly. Even though they have a dual mandate, there will be intense pressure on them when it becomes obvious (even to the dense) that we are in a recession. They will declare victory as inflation "moderates", and everyone will celebrate only to eventually see inflation kick higher.

That's why I am now up to 6.5% of my assets in PM's/commodities. Could I be wrong? Sure, that's why the % isn't 50% or 100%.
Yep, once everybody gets used to the high prices of everything, a celebration will be in order. Of course, everyone will be poorer so the celebrations will be low key and minimal cost! (I think we have done this before)
Old 05-25-2022, 02:07 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post

Generically agree that the Fed will not have 300 more basis points in increases, especially if it deteriorates the stock market.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:35 PM   #28

In the last year how much has cash dropped in value vs bonds?
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
In the last year how much has cash dropped in value vs bonds?
Hmm

That's actually a great point.

So if cash's buying power is 8.5% down due to inflation and bonds 9%, but bonds pay ~1-5% in dividends then the picture is looking differently.

That's what you meant?

(—Charles Bukowski)
Old 05-25-2022, 02:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Hmm

That's actually a great point.

So if cash's buying power is 8.5% down due to inflation and bonds 9%, but bonds pay ~1-5% in dividends then the picture is looking differently.

That's what you meant?
yes, but I didn't know the actual numbers of how much they lost.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Cash lost 10% less than bonds.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:49 PM   #32

Quote:
The only correction - bonds lost 9% year to date, 5 months.

(—Charles Bukowski)
Old 05-25-2022, 02:51 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Sold all bond funds last year. Own some individual corp. bonds. The rest is T-Notes & some T-Bills. Waiting for rates to increase and then move more into T-Bonds ladder. 55% Stocks index ETF's, age 67
TOOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:13 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Generically agree that the Fed will not have 300 more basis points in increases, especially if it deteriorates the stock market.
They said 6 - 7 increases for the year, so it wouldn't be an additional 300. They've already implemented 2 rate hikes.

(From March) Fed raises interest rates modestly, plans seven rate hikes in total this year -
https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-po...fed-rate-hike/
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:32 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a CS degree with an emphasis in math and the reason my AA is 100% stock is due to having a ton of historical data (since 1920's) and there's never been a time where an all stock portfolio has lost money (if left alone) for 12 or more years and the returns are often higher than any other AA. Now, I get that I'm only 50 years old and I know/believe that I have at least 20-30 years to go if not more... If I were in my 80's I'd perhaps rethink my AA but I'm staying put for the next 25-30 years.

A website for reference: http://www.lazyportfolioetf.com/allo...lling-returns/
RetiredAt49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt49 View Post
(if left alone)
But this is a vital caveat. In retirement, many (most?) people are withdrawing from the portfolio.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:33 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
In 2008 I had about 80% stocks and 20% bonds, very little cash. The 2008 Great Recession was a terrible time for me, I could not sleep at night. I did not want to sell stocks at a huge loss so I had to cut way back one my spending. I held on and did not sell but I learned that I cannot tolerate a 80% in the stock market. After my stocks recovered I sold a chunk of stock and now have about 50% stocks, 20% bonds and 30% cash (primarily CDs). I do not even checking the markets now, I sleep much better.

IMO everyone needs to consider their risk tolerance and needs and come up with a plan they can live with without panicking. For me anyway I definitely could not tolerate 100% stocks.
You deserve double congrats here! You figured out your risk tolerance AND you didn't make a knee-jerk reaction. People often do both at the same time.

With the markets going practically straight up since then, do you ever get a tinge of FOMO?
Old 05-25-2022, 04:43 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
But this is a vital caveat. In retirement, many (most?) people are withdrawing from the portfolio.

“If left alone” really means “don’t pull out of the stock market completely (or mostly)”.
RetiredAt49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:49 PM   #39

Lots of great points.

Thanks to all!

Let me add one more variable to the initial mix - would a assets’ size make a difference in making decision of 0 bonds?

E.g. 2m vs 7m portfolios for example

(—Charles Bukowski)
Old 05-25-2022, 04:55 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Lots of great points.

Thanks to all!

Let me add one more variable to the initial mix - would a assets’ size make a difference in making decision of 0 bonds?

E.g. 2m vs 7m portfolios for example
yes, I was at 72x, age 53, retired and don't even have bonds.
targatom2019 is offline   Reply With Quote