NW Bound option question

joesxm3

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
You seem to write quite a few contracts every week. I have a few questions.

Do you have a set of stocks that you study and select your options on, or do you randomly look for good option choices from a larger set?

When you say things like 10 contracts expired this week, is that 10 different stocks or do you write multiple contracts on a given stock?

Do you write contracts with a different duration or strike price on a given stock at the same time?

Thanks.

Scrolling through the thread, I spotted this. What? :confused: Why is joe calling me out on a separate thread? What have I done?

Then, I saw that he wanted to ask some questions. Phew!

As I often said, I am a dilettante, and took no training, nor read any book on option trading, nor follow any guru or any newsletter. I developed my own style over the years, just fooling around. If I brag about my performance, it may not be really that great compared to professional traders, but if I make a few % extra over just holding my stocks by doing option selling, I am happy.

With that intro, I will try to answer joe's questions.

You seem to write quite a few contracts every week. I have a few questions.

Do you have a set of stocks that you study and select your options on, or do you randomly look for good option choices from a larger set?

I am holding about 110 stocks. They are in various sectors such as pharmas, industrial metals, mining, agriculture, semiconductors, energy, etc... These are all stocks that I am willing to hold long term, whether I write options on them or not.

Because I am already somewhat familiar with their fundamentals though not really up to date, I limit my option selling on these stocks.

If one of my stocks jumps up big, I ask myself if that is warranted. I check the news on the company, earning report, industrial news on this sector, etc... I wait a few days for the crazy buying to slow down a bit, and when I sense that the stock is topping out and buyers dwindle, I will sell an option at an even high price.

Same with one of my stocks that goes down. If there's really no bad news, and I detect no change in fundamentals, I will write a put to buy at an even lower price. This means I must be willing to buy more of what I already hold.

As a stock picker, this forces me to look at my stocks that move big out-of-synch with the market. Occasionally, I may just sell a stock out right if I see something bad with it, but this is rare.

When you say things like 10 contracts expired this week, is that 10 different stocks or do you write multiple contracts on a given stock?

Generally, the contracts are on different stocks. I may have more than 10 lots of a stock worth $50/share, but I also have stocks that are $700/share. It's hard to have too many lots of these high-priced stocks.

As I also manage my wife's account (she knows little about investing and gave me POA) and often have the same stocks in my and her accounts, I sell the same contracts on both.

However, I usually stagger contracts on the same stock, so that if the stock keeps going up I can get a higher premium, or the same premium with a higher strike price. I hate to lose all the shares of one position because of ill timing on selling the contracts.

Do you write contracts with a different duration or strike price on a given stock at the same time?

As mentioned, I usually stagger the contracts if I have multiple lots of the same stock. For example, on Monday I may write a contract at strike price of $50 while the stock is at $48. If the stock keeps going up, on Tuesday I may write another contract at $51. And if it gets near the end of the week, I may write one for the next expiry.

Again, I ration myself so that I will not exhaust all of my shares if a stock proves hotter than I imagine. Back to the example above, if the stock moves up to $52 by Wed or Thursday, and the overall market mood is bullish, I will start thinking about writing a put to buy it back at $50 next Friday, then at $51, etc... If I wait too long on a hot stock, it may keep going up and I lose out the opportunity on a good stock that I should not have sold.

I usually aim for an option with a delta of 0.3 or less, meaning the chance of it getting assigned is 30% or less. This may not mean much as the stock volatility can be so great that an option changes a lot within the same trading day.

Last edited:
NW-Bound,

Thanks for the detailed answers.

You certainly seem to have a lot of stocks and are very active on the options. How many hours a day do you spend managing this?

For picking the tops and bottoms do you use any technical analysis tools like Bolinger Bands, Relative Strength Index or MACD?

I spent about 3 hours/day, when I am at home. When traveling, 0.

No, I use no technical analysis tools. I just eyeball the chart of the stock, and compare the stock to its peers in the same sector, and to the S&P.

I do look at fundamentals of my stocks every so often. Sales, P/E ratio, and occasionally a little bit deeper ...

Last edited:
Very interesting!!

I spent about 3 hours/day, when I am at home. When traveling, 0.

No, I use no technical analysis tools. I just eyeball the chart of the stock, and compare the stock to its peers in the same sector, and to the S&P.

I do look at fundamentals of my stocks every so often. Sales, P/E ratio, and occasionally a little bit deeper ...
Happy to see your new employment as a part time security analyst/options trader is paying off. What happened to ER? (Just joking) :)

Well, I think of it as a hobby that happens to pay quite well. ERs should have hobbies, yes?

So far, per hour it pays 3x to 4x more than my past real job. And less stress too.

By the way, one of my other hobbies may not work well this year. My [-]snap[/-] snow peas are not doing well again, in fact worse than last year, despite all the work I put in. Arghhh! All that work, and not even a handful of pea pods yet.

PS. If I did not persevere, would have given up prepping and planting for peas and used the time to sell more options. Just another hour of watching the market and clicking the right button at the right time to sell a single contract buys me dozens of pounds of [-]snap[/-] snow peas.

Darn peas! Why have I not given up? Stubbornness? Masochism?

PPS. A correction: I grow both snow peas and snap peas. My snow peas fail to produce. My snap peas are OK.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom