Join Early Retirement Today

Oh the Pain
Old 05-24-2022, 11:04 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh the Pain

Well today might be the breaking point for me.

Last week I really cut back on layering in as it fell to increase my equity allocation. Today I am actually thinking to sell some of those purchases at a loss, assuming farther downside.

The thread with the charts shows that we could be just at the start of a much greater downswing. The all-in podcast was saying that growth tech is being deprived to the new normal and their rule of thumb for 50% growth is 8x PE.

I hate to panic and I do have 20% or 30% left to use to buy up to my target, so maybe I will just sit and weight. However I am torn between selling some with the plan to buy back lower versus buying more lower with the plan of layering out as it goes back up. But buying more would make me even more concentrated than I already am so I see it as a risk.

I usually do the opposite of what I should, so maybe I am a harbinger of a bottom.
joesxm3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2022, 11:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have found out that for me, when I am in doubt, the best move is to do nothing.

In fact, for me it's always best to do nothing! But anyway unless you are completely certain, I'd suggest maybe getting away from the computer and doing something relaxing and unrelated to investments for a while?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:42 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^^^^ ^^^^
Old 05-24-2022, 11:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Joe, the bottom is not in yet and won't be until the high flying stocks with no revenue or earnings are fully cooked. Plus, interest rates are going up more, much more, and that will cause a recession and house prices to fall.

Why not wait until the end of the year to do anything major?

When times are like this, as W2R says above, just stand there and do nothing.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:45 AM   #5

Yes I quit looking because that's just painful. I have no intentions of changing things, short of maybe buying this year's I bonds. That was a toss-up because I might need the cash for the upcoming construction. I'll figure it out by end of year and probably fund Roth and I bond for DW and I before the end of the year deadline. I know it's backwards but I want to keep some dry powder in case we go crazy and buy the building permit.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:53 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

No one will know the bottom until it’s behind us.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:55 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
No one will know the bottom until it’s behind us.

And that's typically been when Jim Cramer is screaming SELL, SELL, SELL!
Old 05-24-2022, 12:00 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
And that's typically been when Jim Cramer is screaming SELL, SELL, SELL!

I'll bet Cramer will never forget that melt-down that he had way back when (2008?)! It was CLASSIC.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:03 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Never invest more then you can afford to lose
theo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:12 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't just do something. Stand there.

My stock/bond ratio is only off 1% or so because both stocks and bonds are dropping.

Stick to your plan. Check less often when stocks are dropping.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:13 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We reduced our equity exposure back in 2008 early on, missed the bigger losses to come and really had no regrets. Our stock allocation was clearly too high for our risk tolerance at the time.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:14 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

While we do not know where the bottom is, if the market keeps on going down the stocks with high P/E like Tesla, Nvidia, and Amazon will get hammered harder.

When tech stocks with good P/E ratio like Apple and Microsoft are not spared a spanking, stocks with no revenues let alone earnings will see no mercy.

So, one has to look at the stock fundamentals to see what's to keep and what's to sell.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:14 PM   #13

It's like ripping the band-aid off to see if you still have an owie!
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:29 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

This is not bad, so far.

I keep reminding myself I have only had one stock go to zero, well, really $0.05.

It's quite embarrassing to have to call your broker and have him remove those shares since no one will buy them and you have to stare at that $0.05 stock whenever you look at your holdings.

One good thing about mutual funds and ETF's is that it REALLY has to get BAD before they go to zero.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:32 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Bucket system: some funds for now, some funds to replenish funds for now and then some funds for later, much later. Relax and enjoy.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:50 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Actually buckets don’t change a thing ….

Just rebalancing a portfolio with no cash bucket at all yields the same or better results then a cash bucket .

Mentally our brains like to compartmentalize things but cash buckets are a mirage Financially

https://www.kitces.com/blog/are-cash...lly-necessary/

https://www.kitces.com/blog/are-reti...cation-mirage/
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:56 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Buckets are for the mental side of investing. No one ever said they will improve performance, but they do improve sleep.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 01:00 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Another thing about holding on to high P/E stocks: people think that when the market returns to the growth phase, these will go back up to their past glory.

Not so fast! Quite a few will go bankrupt. The ones with real revenues will survive, but look at Cisco, the premier tech stock in 2000, the year everyone realized how the Internet would change our life.

In another thread, I talked about the comparison between Cisco and Hormel, the guy who has been making Spam forever. If you bought $10K worth of Cisco and Hormel in Jan 2000, as of 4/30/2022, you would have $12,639 worth of Cisco, and $156,332 with Hormel. And if you bought SPY (S&P 500 ETF), you would have $42,278.

Cisco: $10K -> $12,639
SPY: $10K -> $42,278
HRL: $10K -> $156,332

All above numbers are with dividend reinvested.

They say that after the market recovers from a burst, the leaders in the new bull market will come from a new sector. The old top honchos having lost their luster will not reinflate their bubble.

After the tech and dot-com bubble burst in 2000, when the market started a new bull run, it was the subprime bankers, the home builders, and the building construction material stocks that were the new highflyers. Until they themselves crashed, that is.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 01:06 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Another thing about holding on to high P/E stocks: people think that when the market returns to the growth phase, these will go back up to their past glory.

Not so fast! Quite a few will go bankrupt. The ones with real revenues will survive, but look at Cisco, the premier tech stock in 2000, the year everyone realized how the Internet would change our life.

In another thread, I talked about the comparison between Cisco and Hormel, the guy who has been making Spam forever. If you bought $10K worth of Cisco and Hormel in Jan 2000, as of 4/30/2022, you would have $12,639 worth of Cisco, and $156,332 with Hormel. And if you bought SPY (S&P 500 ETF), you would have $42,278.

Cisco: $10K -> $12,639
SPY: $10K -> $42,278
HRL: $10K -> $156,332

All above numbers are with dividend reinvested.

They say that after the market recovers from a burst, the leaders in the new bull market will come from a new sector. The old top honchos having lost their luster will not reinflate their bubble.

After the tech and dot-com bubble burst in 2000, when the market started a new bull run, it was the subprime bankers, the home builders, and the building construction material stocks that were the new highflyers. Until they themselves crashed, that is.
Cisco has a real product(s) and income. Compare Hormel to Pets.com.
Old 05-24-2022, 01:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Buckets are for the mental side of investing. No one ever said they will improve performance, but they do improve sleep.
+1

The mental side of investing is HUGE. If having buckets here and there allow one to stay calm and carry on, that's a tremendous benefit.

After all, the end game for all of this is to improve one's overall wellbeing.