Online trading

I use Schwab for online trades only because that is what we set up years ago, before all the competition. I have been happy with them. I pay $12.95 per trade. I also have an IRA with them.

Another vote for Wells Fargo. I get 100 'free' trades a year in my IRA account and also in a taxable account. I don't trade a lot, after initial set up of about 20 stocks/ETFs I only had 4 trades this year. I think it is good to have an account set up so you can buy an asset when you feel appropriate or liquidate an asset when you need money But 'trading' as used by the OP sounds more like day trading and that would not work for me. I seem to be OK at buying stocks but I do not have a system to tell me when to sell so I expect to hold indefinitely and then sell only when I need the money for expenses. I try to look over my stocks and sell what has had a good run up. In my taxable account its nice to be able to tax loss harvest, did that for the first time in 2008. Every little bit helps. Real trading is actually a lot of work my account isn't large enough to make it worthwhile and besides, I want to be retired.

My dad has used Ameritrade for the past 7 years, and likes it. We both trade on the side.

Zecco.com offers a similar deal to WellsTrade, 10 free trades a month if your account balance is over $25K. The 25K minimum is a common cutoff because it qualifies the account holder to day trade.

My accounts are with Scottrade ($7/month unlimited shares), and Sogotrade ($3/month unlimited shares). I only trade online. Scottrade has better customer support for answering questions, things like wiring money in/out of accounts and changing beneficiaries. With Sogotrade I prepare to be held on their phone system.

Back
Top Bottom