Join Early Retirement Today

Palantir PLTR
Old 05-27-2023, 02:50 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Palantir PLTR

I am searching for feedback on PLTR as an investment.

Do you have any knowledge of the products, how do they stack up and function? How do competitor products compare? What are long term prospects of the company?

Most of what I can find online are from view building utubers and the CEO in videos that do not allow comments.

Thank you.
4nursebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2023, 03:39 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think PLTR has a strong and unique software offering that is well positioned to ride the AI craze. Their main competitor is not other companies, but people inside companies that have a vested interest in home-grown software solutions and do not want to have an outside company coming in.

Hertz is using there software to manage the car fleet. British Petroleum has been using there software very successfully. The military and spy agencies are also big users.

I think it is a bit over priced now and will likely present future opportunities to buy some if you are patient. I think that it will be a nice company in five or ten years. It recently showed its first two quarters of profit, but only a little bit.

I suggest you watch some Tom Nash youtube videos on PLTR and watch some of the videos where PLTR showcases satisfied customers like BP.

Cathy Wood had dropped PLTR in her ARKK funds saying it would take too long, but has just resumed buying PLTR. Her detractors might say that is the kiss of death for PLTR :-)
joesxm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:19 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Due Dilligence!

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/PLTR/financials?p=PLTR

What I said previously: https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ml#post2519199

Defense contractors are consistent in touting new awards, for sure. You see evidence of that in all the new articles about PLTR.

Are they making money? They missed the last two earnngs estimates, and the stock is rising.

Do they have a wide moat?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 10:56 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I was interested in this company as well, after seeing some of the hype around them and seeing the CEO being interviewed on financial TV. This is a very subjective opinion but I get both positive and negative vibes about the company after listening to the CEO. (not that anyone should invest based on a "vibe"). I presume the CEO is also a founder and he seems straightforward enough but perhaps a little too humble+confident in their software offering. More critically but still a very subjective opinion was how their software offering was complex and sophisticated, but also simple enough for customers to integrate into their specific environment. Where the customer could mix-n-match Palantir modules with their own as they saw fit, but where Palantir provided enough value that customers mostly chose their off-the-shelf + customized offerings. I have not dug deeper into the company but what I could learn was always too high level and abstract to make any real judgement.
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 07:10 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is a recent video showing their military logistics software detecting an enemy, reviewing flexible responses, assessing available resources, planning the trip to the fight, then issuing the orders and coordinating the responding units. The entire human interaction seemed to be using natural language with a chat GPT type interface.

I thought it was impressive. My friend who works for one of the big "non profit" think tanks advising DOD did not. But Palantir is a competitor to the build it yourself mindset that feeds his company.

Palantir's seems to get things done and have stuff that works now. Last year I asked my friend for an example of where the military was using his block chain logistics stuff. He said that soon, a committee would be deciding if there should be a committee to consider developing something using the technology.
joesxm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 09:02 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I have invested in Palantir for about three years now at the suggestion of Neil Howe (Fourth Turning author).

Here is an interesting video of an interview with Amit Kukreja and Adam Bergman for a wide-ranging conversation on Palantir, investing, and a whole lot more!

Quote:
from Keith Fitz-Gerald:

Sooner or later, every stock that takes off attracts naysayers the way hot dogs on the grill attract hungry picnickers.

Palantir is no exception.

Frankly, I don’t give a rat’s you-know-what because that’s how Wall Street plays the game. They’ve spent billions of dollars learning how to push your buttons in ways that make you scared, uncertain, doubtful... because they know that makes it easier to separate you from your money.

The way we—you and I—win as investors is a) to rewrite the rules on our terms, and b) to pick battles that they have no interest in fighting.

Keep your emotions out of the equation.

One way to handle that as an investor is to buy a little at a time, using Value Cost Averaging (VCA) or Dollar Cost Averaging (DCA) to control risk while harnessing the volatility others fear. Another is to use LowBall Orders as a way to accumulate shares at prices YOU are prepared to pay over time. You could also Sell Cash-Secured Puts to get paid as you “shop.”

Trading is different. If that’s the way you roll, you want to be prepared for who’s on the other side of the trade.

Cue the music...
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 09:48 AM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Seems maybe late to the party now for me....
Flieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 10:48 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

From SIMPLY WALLst:

ScreenShot_20230609104407.jpeg
Old 06-09-2023, 01:46 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Palantir has employee retention issues that probably affect their growth rate. Multiple online employee boards and other sources indicate it is more severe than expected in its industry.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:53 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

PLTR | Palantir Technologies
Nov 15

High number of new and inexperienced directors

There are 9 new directors who have joined the board in the last 3 years.
The company's board is composed of:

9 new directors.
No experienced directors.
3 highly experienced directors.

Co-Founder, CEO & Director Alex Karp is the most experienced director on the board, commencing their role in 2003.

The following issues are considered to be risks according to the Simply Wall St Risk Model:

Lack of board continuity.
Lack of experienced directors.