Pay off mortgage or invest

beachgirl152

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi everyone! We are looking to retire in the next two years. We have a piece of land that will sell for roughly $100K. Is it better to pay off our mortgage or take that money and invest? We have 5 years/95K left on the mortgage at 3%.
What would you do?

See all the other similar threads where everyone agrees that you should never pay off your mortgage

Right everyone?

Hi everyone! We are looking to retire in the next two years. We have a piece of land that will sell for roughly $100K. Is it better to pay off our mortgage or take that money and invest? We have 5 years/95K left on the mortgage at 3%.
What would you do?
This is a great question, and one that comes up frequently. The forum is not in agreement on whether to pay off the average mortgage or not; I suppose we are about 50:50 on this question. But you can judge for yourself: here are some previous threads that address the question of paying off a mortgage or not:

https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...f-the-mortgage-or-invest-the-money-30644.html

As for me, I paid off my own mortgage, because I felt like doing so brought me peace and reduced stress (in MY case). But paying off the mortgage is not always the most financially advantageous. Really there are a million answers to this question, and if you read through the threads in the link I provided, you'll be able to see why some people did, and some didn't.

At 5 years you can buy:
agency bonds yielding almost 4%
investment grade corporates yielding over 6%
Tax free munis yielding over 3.2%
You may even have a tax benefit depending on your situation.
Its free money right now. Do not pay off the mortgage.

I'm all for investing rather than paying off a 3% mortgage.
However, I paid cash for the home I'm in in 1995.
What was I thinking!

At 5 years you can buy:
agency bonds yielding almost 4%
investment grade corporates yielding over 6%
Tax free munis yielding over 3.2%
You may even have a tax benefit depending on your situation.
Its free money right now. Do not pay off the mortgage.

+1.

I'm all for investing rather than paying off a 3% mortgage.
However, I paid cash for the home I'm in in 1995.
What was I thinking!

What were interest rates running back in 1995? I closed on my first home, a condo, in December 1994, and was paying 9.625%. I was young, didn't have a lot of credit history yet, and only put 5% down, so that explains part of my high rate, but I have a feeling the typical mortgage rate was a lot higher back then.

There's more incentive, for me at least, to put up more cash, and/or pay it down faster, when interest rates are high. My current mortgage is 2.785%, and while I'll admit that sometimes I do like the idea of paying if off early, I just need to remind myself that it's almost like free money, at that rate, and with inflation the way it is.

What were interest rates running back in 1995? I closed on my first home, a condo, in December 1994, and was paying 9.625%. I was young, didn't have a lot of credit history yet, and only put 5% down, so that explains part of my high rate, but I have a feeling the typical mortgage rate was a lot higher back then.

There's more incentive, for me at least, to put up more cash, and/or pay it down faster, when interest rates are high. My current mortgage is 2.785%, and while I'll admit that sometimes I do like the idea of paying if off early, I just need to remind myself that it's almost like free money, at that rate, and with inflation the way it is.

RE: high interest rate. Maybe that is what I was thinking. :)

I have added a lot of financial knowledge since 2014, before that, I knew to live frugal (since 1981) and invest in no-load mutual funds (since 1989).
I doubt a I even new the concept of invest or mortgage in 1995. Thanks to MMM and E-R and all the links within for any personal finance knowledge
I have gained over the last 8 years.

BTW, my 28 year old son will put $19,000 in his 401k and $6,000 into a Roth, that is 48% of his income. I have told him this market downturn has cost Dad a lot, but this is a great opportunity for him, BUY, BUY, BUY!

Depends on when you'll want to spend the $100,000.

It is a very personal question and much depends on "sleeping well" or piece of mind regarding your finances.

3% is a good rate, even at the small % banks give for savings, you could plop that $ in a regular savings acct, pay the mortgage with it over the 5 years and earn a bit of interest.
If you can afford the mortgage on your retirement budget, you could likely get more than 3% interest if you invest.

Personally, we have a mortgage again at 2.6%. Not paying it off, even though I have the money to do so. We have secure income (pensions) that cover it as part of our monthly budget. I sleep just fine.

I understand all rationale behind the "don't pay off the mortgage" concept, but for us, it was a huge emotional benefit after we did ours, and it felt not right away but several years after we did pay off the mortgage.

You decide :)

What would you do?

It depends. If you invest, will you need access to this $100k? Are you retiring before you are 59-1/2?

What would you invest in?

If you can comfortably make the mortgage payments, I would put the $100k into i-bonds... currently paying 9.62%... if you set up his/her/our living trusts which is easy to do for about $100 you could invest up to $50k a year for a couple.

It depends. If you invest, will you need access to this $100k? Are you retiring before you are 59-1/2?

What would you invest in?

If you can comfortably make the mortgage payments, I would put the $100k into i-bonds... currently paying 9.62%... if you set up his/her/our living trusts which is easy to do for about $100 you could invest up to $50k a year for a couple.

you can't buy $100k of i-bonds, can you?

The more recent wrinkles on this age-old debate to consider are:

1) 9% inflation. We hope it subsides but who knows? No one. Meanwhile, OP’s 3% mortgage P&I will not inflate one penny over the remaining 5 years. It will feel like it’s becoming cheaper.

2). Vanguard’s total bond index fund is yielding 3.42%, which we haven’t seen in a long time. One could park the land proceeds there for the 5 short years fairly safely and end up with both a paid off mortgage and some liquidity.

Last edited:
I have a 30K outstanding loan on my investment property at 3.25%. I have extra 30K. Instead of paying off the loan, I will be buying ibonds. Looks like a no brainer in my case unless I am missing something.

you can't buy $100k of i-bonds, can you?

It depends and is situational, and you need to learn the rules and be creative. We bought $135k since last fall. $10k each for our 2021 and 2022 allowances is $40k. $5k with our 2021 tax return refund (we made an additional estimated payment to increase my refund to $5k just prior to filing our tax return). $30k each held in our gift boxes as gifts for our spouse that can be delivered in 2023, 2024 and 2025... so that is $60k. Plus $30k as the 2022 allowances for his, her and joint trusts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom