Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-22-2017, 05:15 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Lost all my stock with them when they came out of bankrupt,,,, Anyone know of any steps I can take to try and get my money back? Any lawsuits against them that I can check into?
theo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2017, 07:21 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo2 View Post
Lost all my stock with them when they came out of bankrupt,,,, Anyone know of any steps I can take to try and get my money back? Any lawsuits against them that I can check into?
Do you understand what "bankruptcy" is? A court will decide how the limited resources will be split up across the current creditors. I doubt any judge would consider payments to a new creditor. And there is a defined pecking order for which creditors get paid first and how many cents on the dollar. Stock holders are at or near the bottom of that list.

This is the risk/reward situation for buying stock. I never heard of a class action suit against shareholders, for the company to get their gains back. One reason we talk about diversification so much, and mutual funds is to gain this diversity easily.

Good luck finding a lawyer to take a financial case against a bankrupt company. They will be very concerned that there just will be no money for you to pay their fees.

I think you'd have better luck with a magician than lawyers.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Note for future reference many brokers will pay you $1 for a lot of stock in bankrupt companies so you establish the loss. (full service typically) Old GM took a long while to go to zero so I think I got .20 per share when I closed that old position out.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

So did the executives at Peabody pull a fast one on their creditors and enrich themselves?
Old 04-22-2017, 09:14 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
So did the executives at Peabody pull a fast one on their creditors and enrich themselves?
I wouldn't be surprised if the executives do just fine.

But think about it - if you were a talented CEO level person, and were asked to take the helm of a troubled company, wouldn't you want compensation to do the job? It might be unavoidable that the company was going BK, but a good CEO might be able to manage that for the least pain. You can't expect that expertise for free, because of the company situation.

I suppose the executives should get the same kind of haircut on their compensation as other people/companies who did work for Peabody and expect payment for services. But I suppose the board members will be considered "special".

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

This is a nice little object lesson teaching that amateurs buying individual stocks are more likely to lose than to win. This is particularly true for people who don't understand financial basics, like how bankruptcy works. (I am not trying to be insulting here, just realistic.)

Face it, 95% of the time an individual is buying from or selling to a professional who understands the company and the market far better than the individual does and who has access to vast amounts of information and vast resources. Stealing a comment from a clever guy in another thread: 'As an individual, you are bringing a pocket knife to a nuclear war."
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote