Average but will be improving in the future, I hope 24 10.13%
Average and not likely to change 89 37.55%
Below average 20 8.44%
Terrible and recognize I need help 4 1.69%
Just terrible and have no clue going forward 3 1.27%
Other 8 3.38%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2023, 12:24 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I secretly think I am above average. Am a little like the armchair spy master. But being honest I am probably about average when compared to index funds. Hope springs eternal so I voted average but will be improving in the future.

Have had many errors in judgement over the decades but like some others here am saved by having a saving/investing (plus having fun) habit. Occasionally I have a real success. Have I told you about my early 90's forays into international markets? ...

Anyway we are living comfortably and probably will for our lifetimes.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2023, 01:19 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Way above average, lol considering I have yet to meet anyone who can trade better than I can.

Started buying stocks in 2006, but for the last 8 years, I was heavily invested in forex trading, and living off my profits from that.

Don't want to disclose how much, as nobody would believe me anyway lol.

But now that I have a regulated finance job, with a lot of rules about when/how I can trade, I can't trade forex the way I used to do.

So I switched back to stocks. I primarily trade stocks in my Roth, and use my 401k and HSA for ETFs to get the lowest fees and best overall ROI over time to help them compound better.

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...rement-savings

This is a slightly old article I had bookmarked going over it, be sure to see the calculator to get an eyeful of how much you lose from 1.05% fees versus 0.05% fees (it is hundreds of $K's over 30-40+ years)

Why ultra low cost ETFs are really good, over higher priced mutual funds.

For my Roth account, and the real meat of the post, and what you all want to know about lol. I model my investment strategy off of a modern day variation of Walter Schloss.

If I am buying a swing stock, that I don't intend to hold long term, I want to sell it with at least a 25% ROI.

Long term positions are entered in partial block trades of at least $250, depending on share price.

When I sell swing trades for profit, like one I am looking to sell this week, up 28% after less than two months, it will gain me over $200 profit from around $800 investment, so I will split those up into two new buys of stocks for $500 each.

One will be a long term stock, and one will be a swing trade.
Old 09-23-2023, 01:25 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Voted for "Just terrible and have no clue going forward" because my investing experience is short (a few years back). So far the total return was negative and I really don't know how it will be in future. But I assume it won't be worse than terrible
Alex The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 01:31 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What's an investor??
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 02:10 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I voted average. I'm a Boglehead. By definition that means I'm always average. Oddly enough, in investing circles that means I'm above average.
I'm a strict Boglehead as well. The only individual discretion in my investing is my AA. I wasn't always that way, I was an active investor prior to 2002, but not a very good one. I got drubbed pretty hard in 2000-2002 and had an epiphany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
I think most people are broke and clueless so I rated myself above average. But I think that’s a pretty low bar.
Sort of like average net worth or average saved for retirement stats. I'd guess you'd have to be above 85%-90% in those stats to be interested in this forum. The income distribution is wonky when you can be at the 95% level and still not particularly wealthy.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 02:18 PM   #26

The way I determine if I'm a good investor or not is how do I compare vs my benchmark.

I'm an aggressive investor so my benchmark per Schwab's definition is:
50% S and P
20% R2000
25% MSCI
5% 3 Month Tbill

Since retiring almost 7 years ago I'm annualizing 9.73% vs the benchmark of 8.93%
so I gave myself an above average score

“The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect.”—Warren Buffett
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 02:50 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I rated myself average. I was a better saver, than investor, and our savings is the bedrock of our retirement. I thought I could be "above" average in the mid-90s, but that was when you could throw 10 darts at the WSJ stock listing page and at least 8 of them would be winners. I decided to settle down into basic boglehead mode in the late 90s and just pour my savings in that direction.

The only way I would consider myself "above average" is that at times of market stress, I did not sell out of equities but instead continued to DCA and rebalance into them. I do not think that is what most investors do.
Old 09-23-2023, 02:54 PM   #28

I am sure all of those above average investors are also above average drivers.........

I rated average because I don't try to time the market, use almost exclusively index funds,
and my trades are almost non-existent and boring. I do buy when the market tanks- but that
doesn't make me above average.

VW
Old 09-23-2023, 03:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
I am sure all of those above average investors are also above average drivers.........

I rated average because I don't try to time the market, use almost exclusively index funds,
and my trades are almost non-existent and boring. I do buy when the market tanks- but that
doesn't make me above average.

VW

Then to me you're def not the average investor!

“The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect.”—Warren Buffett
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 03:23 PM   #30

Amazingly bad - but I try to limit the damage (keeping the long-shots small and the broad-based index funds a larger percentage).
Old 09-23-2023, 03:30 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I secretly think I am above average. ...
Not a secret anymore!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 03:34 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I would say that I'm above average, but the bar isn't very high and a lot of my contemporaries are clueless.

Thanks to e-r.org I have delved into some things over the years here that I would not have like preferred stocks, cash covered puts, I-bonds, brokered CDs, agency bonds and corporate bonds.

While I'm very familiar with preferred stock and bonds from my work, I never invested in them until just recently. Ditto for options.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 03:35 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
What's an investor??
Investor apparently is a person who has some funds invested into market, either stock or bond and expecting to get terribly rich because of it, get some extra money to buy more of toilet paper or just keep up with inflation.
Alex The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 05:37 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

“average but hope to improve”
I still believe I can beat the 60/40 performance/volatility using a combination of mainly VTI /VOO /QQQ (Vanguard Total Stock Market Index ETF / Vanguard S&P 500 ETF/ Invesco QQQ) plus a few handpicked individual stocks on the stock side and equivalent of BND (Vanguard total bond market ETF) and some alternatives on the ballast side.
I’ve been selling some bond funds to trade stock options thinking it can be safer and higher yielding for income generation. I picked up some tips from successful options traders here on this forum so was eager to try. But for some reason I just can’t get excited about searching and buying individual bonds like some members here.
Not quite 60 so I still have time, I hope, to experiment. In a couple of years, I may just throw in the towel and settle down to 60/40 VT/BND.
tutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 05:55 PM   #35

I guess I'm above average. Fidelity says I can expect to earn 85k next year from dividends (14.5% off of 550k)
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 07:15 PM   #36

Compared to my non-ER peers - brilliant. Compared to folks here... middlin'. I don't do individual stocks - learned a long time ago that my 'picker' was off for stocks and switched to index funds for equities.

I use a lazy portfolio, rebalancing periodically. I've learned to stay the course and also to watch fees. (AUM, expense ratios, etc). Index funds are my friend. That makes me brilliant compared to the general population.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:21 PM   #37

I consider myself average at best. I've made every mistake in the book. But one thing I've learned is you don't have to be a super investor to build wealth. You just have to be willing to invest rather than spend and to put ALL your money into the market especially at the beginning.
dmpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 08:21 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I voted average. I'm a Boglehead. By definition that means I'm always average. Oddly enough, in investing circles that means I'm above average.

Precisely!
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 09:38 PM   #39

Lake Wobegon here, above average fer shur...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 09:49 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I don’t rank myself.

But I do have a lot of experience, including learning from mistakes ha ha.

“Seasoned” would perhaps be an apt description.