Poll: Is the flat market "good times" or "bad times"

Is the flat market good or bad & What does the future hold ?

• Flat has been good...we are headed higher

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Flat has been good....but look out below

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Flat has been bad....we are about to rally

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Flat has been bad .... And It's going lower from here

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Off-topic from an outlier, but re: good/bad times.

Almost no dog in the fight, but re: "money".

Ultra dull, uninteresting "investor", though you may not think of it that way... Since the early days, much of our money has been tied up in the banks in the form of CD's. Maybe not so good compared to smarter money, but along the way, no surprises... none.
A fair return through 2000, and then into IBonds from 2000 through 2003. Currently averaging about 5%. and no way to go lower, unless the government defaults.
Now content to spend the declining years watching the market intently... the way I watch a soccer match.

So... another chart:

Attachments

• int rates.jpg
    int rates.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 16
It's better than some possible scenarios and worse than others I guess...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

GDP is very low by historical standards. If that can rise just a bit, companies will make a bunch of money.

Interest rates rise, banks make a bunch. They have to loan out the money, so they make deals and companies start.

If wages go up, and they will if we can begin to get 'stuff' made here, companies can make a bunch too. Just like when Henry Ford increased wages.

How about "Flat is flat and although we can take an educated guess, we don't know what is coming"?

Flat is flat, I want the bull market back ..

It's a dividend play, since it went away .. ooh -ooh ..

What can we do?

I took advantage of this flat market and sold some more cash covered puts.

GDP is very low by historical standards. If that can rise just a bit, companies will make a bunch of money.

Interest rates rise, banks make a bunch. They have to loan out the money, so they make deals and companies start.

If wages go up, and they will if we can begin to get 'stuff' made here, companies can make a bunch too. Just like when Henry Ford increased wages.

What if the stuff is made by robots :).

http://fortune.com/2016/05/26/foxconn-factory-robot-workers/

Self driving cars and trucks, robots taking fast food orders, robo-advisors replacing financial advisors... robots even make the robots :)..

I think there's a lot of labor replacement happening over the next few decades via automation and it will be interesting to see how that increased efficiency and productivity impacts general wealth globally...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

All relative to what you were invested in. Market has been very friendly to me over the last few years, hopping for a bit of a pullback at this point to get more of the good stuff on sale!

I got a chance to check my husband's account. It's at an all time high. I'm glad I made a bit of modification in April.

Didn't vote as no option available. My prediction is despite the plethora of research on behavioral finance, investors will never cease to make predictions.

Does Your Mindset Affect Retirement Income Decisions? | RR

The fields of behavioral finance and behavioral economics have uncovered various biases humans have which are great for day-to-day survival, but somewhat maladaptive for long-term investing.

Back
Top Bottom