Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Who is “selling” Mondays “dead cat bounce “? Please comment “why” and what below!
I am selling equities on Mondays dead cat stock market bounce 10 10.87%
I am buying equities on Mondays dead cat stock market bounce 8 8.70%
I am staying the course 74 80.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2020, 03:48 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been staying the course and just re-balancing a bit from my least-affected holdings to my most-affected holdings. Should give me some minor gains in the long run.
RioIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2020, 06:27 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bought more yesterday.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:55 AM   #43

I did some tax loss harvesting to offset the additional Roth conversion I also did yesterday. This freed up more cash for future opportunities. At the beginning of the year I was 70/30 tax deferred/tax free and as of this morning I'm 60/40 @ 9% fed rate which I'm good with.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
Bought more yesterday.
+1. Added SPY, BX to maintain my AA after drop.
Born2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:13 AM   #45

I bought short term notes yesterday and have bids in for several more today. I expect my money market fund yields will plummet over the next two weeks and need to move quickly to replace my money market holdings.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #46

I plan to hold off rebalancing until April. I don’t see the market surging to its previous highs any time soon and the risk of another 10-20% decline is imho quite real.
If we don’t have widespread transmission in the USA and Europe is not shut down I think it will be realistic to get back in fully and I am confident it won’t be any higher than prices in mid February.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #47

Is the dead cat still bouncing?
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:03 PM   #48
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
Bought more yesterday.
Ditto...so much value in the markets these days. Even with the "bounce" many compnaies remain very attractive.
GoBugGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:55 AM   #49

I think the value “right now” is more in specific companies than the market as a whole.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:46 AM   #50

staying the course, because I don't know if it's a "dead cat bounce", or "an angry cat who was taking a nap and is now going to scratch someone's eyes out"...
Now, if I just only knew.....
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:33 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Did some buying with some of the mad money in my 401k
chrisaukcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:26 AM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
I plan to hold off rebalancing until April. I don’t see the market surging to its previous highs any time soon and the risk of another 10-20% decline is imho quite real.
If we don’t have widespread transmission in the USA and Europe is not shut down I think it will be realistic to get back in fully and I am confident it won’t be any higher than prices in mid February.
+1
Looks like just a dead cat bounce yesterday.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:56 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
Is the dead cat still bouncing?
I expect we’ll see many of those type bounces after big drop days.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:56 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think the value “right now” is more in specific companies than the market as a whole.
Agreed!
Old 03-11-2020, 05:59 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
+1
Looks like just a dead cat bounce yesterday.
That to me looked like trying to promise the market candy to cheer it up. Are we now in a give me candy or I’m going to have a big tantrum mode?
Old 03-11-2020, 06:06 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That to me looked like trying to promise the market candy to cheer it up. Are we now in a give me candy or I’m going to have a big tantrum mode?
Yeah something like that.
2 of the largest upswing % days were in the fall of 2008. This appears similar, although the situation is not as dire as 2008.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:58 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Yeah something like that.
2 of the largest upswing % days were in the fall of 2008. This appears similar, although the situation is not as dire as 2008.
As I try to think thru this in terms of longer term risk, I believe corporate debt levels are the biggest issue. Many companies in the US (and world I assume) are very highly leveraged given how good the economy is (cheap rates for debt to buy back stock for example).

The risk is people staying home can kind of have a cascading effect on multiple industries and can these companies service their debt if this goes on for long? Its a question I don't know the answer to, but that IMHO is the longer term risk to the economy and markets.

Its anyones guess, but if we end up like "italy" for example, I think there will be numerous corporate defaults and its wait and see if gov't comes to the rescue.

The only risk avoidance here is to check your bond allocation and move it where there is little to no BBB, and preferably gov't debt. If you haven't already.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:21 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I agree that the high level of corporate debt is a serious concern.
Quote:
Corporations around the world have begun issuing profit warnings and curbing activities, as more than 96,500 people have been infected by the coronavirus globally and over 3,300 people have died, according to a Reuters tally. The U.S. death toll stands at 11, in Washington state and in California. New York’s governor said on Thursday that 22 people in New York have the virus.

Junk bonds are pricing in a higher level of default and spreads over safer Treasuries have widened to 475 basis points from 403 at the start of February, using the ICE/BofA high yield index. February’s widening was the largest the index has seen since December 2018.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN20S2U0
Old 03-11-2020, 08:28 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I'll probably sell some in the next day or two to fund topping off a 3.5% CD I bought last year that I found out I can add to as longs as I do so before 4/30. When I first bought it I put in an amount so at the end of the 5 year term it would be at the FDIC limit with interest... I'll now top if up to the FDIC limit and periodically skim off the interest to bring the principal back down to the FDIC limit.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:46 AM   #60

Quote:
That may be so. Wish I was smart enough to know which to buy though.

This latest round of volatility from CoV business impact has made me re-think the individual stock approach. Once the dust settles I'm going to gradually migrate my "hand picked" stock portfolio into low fee ETFs.

(I got kicked pretty hard by oil.)
Born2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote