Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #2001
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Back when I was a trustee there were a number of issues that would sell the assets that backed up a bond, buy zero treasuries and escrow the call... and pocket a big hunk of cash.... these were mtg securities and some still had 15 to 20 years outstanding on the bonds!!!

No, I am not surprised.... I think companies are now pushing to refi as fast as they can.... if they can...

Now that is some long term planning, Texas!
Coolius, I already got some cash from getting chicken and selling my UMH-A. Gonna skip golf tomorrow and sit in command control central and try to drum up some deep illiquids tomorrow!
I have been very lucky on calls....Havent had one yet this year, and over at SI, as you know they seem to be announcing calls every day. Being largely out of Reits helped avoid must of them though.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2017, 06:24 AM   #2002
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What is SI, Mul?
Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between
Old 06-05-2017, 06:39 AM   #2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
18 months ago when prevailing thought was the surety of rising interest rates and the negative impact on securities such as preferred, this issue, which is my favorite has had a total return of 20% from the date of this post which is better even than S&P500 spiders or the Wellington Fund. And a 5 year CD would have yielded you a total of 3 percent if you were parked out in a secure income note awaiting the interest rate hikes protecting your capital.

Now by rising to the current price of 1272, you are only getting current income of 5.92% so nearly 1/2 percent income return has been eliminated and a 10% capital gain has been eliminated as well while the potential for rate increases are still there. In fact I saw it is an 82% chance presently the FED will raise rates again, however the long end has simply not co-operated with the FED hiking short term rates.

This security will very likely provide a 5.92% cash return for a very long time, but that is basically the long term return potential of this issue. However the alternative to wait for a market correction in short term CD’s at 1-1.5 percent returns loses nearly 4.5 percent per year to WFCPL. This continues to illustrate the trap of future expectations that is created by holding interest rates at a prolonged term at zero.

I still have no expectations of selling this preferred and still see the fair market price relative to other securities of it’s kind being 1400.

Still watching and letting actual interest rates tell me what the market is thinking.

http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/pe...ENX,SPY,WFC/PL

Running Man; What think you about the near future for intermediate term rates? I'm very happy with my purchase of WFC-PL back in 2015. Wish I owned more. Also own a tad of Mul's favorite illiquid Utes( Preferreds =1.5% of Investments) The decision I am wrestling with this morning is whether to dump a substantial position in VWITX ( Intermediate Term Tax Exempt =8% of Investments) which has rallied of late back to a MV near my cost, and invest instead in VWSTX Short Term Tax Exempts to ride out an impending slump in bond prices. I have always hated bond funds despite plans to hold the fund for the long term presumably negating losses. All of our other fixed income investments -32.5% of Assets- are in individual bond ladders in our IRA's. I see an opportunity to get out today with no losses and trade that higher yield for a lower safe yield while intermediate term rates travel north at a slow but steady pace. What is your crystal ball telling you?
Old 06-05-2017, 06:58 AM   #2004
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
What is SI, Mul?

Golden, Its Silicon Investor. A website and the subsection is Income Investing. People will post new preferred issues, calls, and some purchases. Very civil forum there. I usually only look in on the income investing thread, but there are others including stocks.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:21 AM   #2005
Give me a forum ...

Might get kicked out of the club here with this "punt on 3rd down" trade... 600 shares of KYN-F today on a sell off. I bought 200 shares of CNLPL and ate the $54. Goes exD tomm so I really got in around $53.20 which is a divi and half above call.. I still only have 300 issues of this...Never really could get back in it from all the flipping I did with it in the good days that are gone...Im gonna just hold these and let it play out...KYN is just a placecard holder...The money was burning a hole in my pocket!
Old 06-05-2017, 11:43 AM   #2006
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mulligan, CNLPL exdiv date is June 7th, not tomorrow.

I also have bids in for CNLPL in the mid $53's, but doubt that I'll get them.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post

My bids have been upper $52's but it's been awhile since I've been able to get any (or it's sister CNTHP). Holding about 400+ in each, sometimes got odd lots.

Really have been following this thread and learned a lot but don't have much to add. Have had a good chunk of CHSCM and MNR-C since each first issued. No luck picking up AILLL at all. Had some southern utilities preferred but got called last year.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #2008
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post

Whew....you scared me Coolius... I really dont keep track of days anymore like I should....I thought you were insinuating it was today, and I blew it! June 7 is fine...In fact June 12 is fine... I just didnt want it to be today, lol...
Old 06-05-2017, 12:21 PM   #2009
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
My bids have been upper $52's but it's been awhile since I've been able to get any (or it's sister CNTHP). Holding about 400+ in each, sometimes got odd lots.

Really have been following this thread and learned a lot but don't have much to add. Have had a good chunk of CHSCM and MNR-C since each first issued. No luck picking up AILLL at all. Had some southern utilities preferred but got called last year.

I feel a bit boxed in myself RE... Not really scared of rates going up, but dont want to be buying up the old 4.5-5.2% utes either...Started expanding my comfort zone a bit which is not what my original intent was in buying these things. I tried a couple of end arounds this morning and got nowhere.... a grey market bank preferred that has a nice 4.5% libor kicker and a delisted BBB+ baby bond fixed/float issue that basically trades on the "grey bond market". Got nowhere with the bank, as in nowhere, and all they could find was a ridiculous $27.30 price for the baby bond...about a buck higher than what I was willing to do.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #2010
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post

RE2, I also own CHSCM ( along with a bigger position in CHSCO ) as well as MNR-C ( bought a few cents above par in late 2016, watched it go down to $23 ).

They are solid issues which I intend to hold indefinitely.

And the usual core holdings of CNLPL & CNTHP. I try not to flip these, as there is every possibility I might not be able to buy them back later.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:16 PM   #2011
Give me a forum ...

Yea, I had 500 CNTHP but sold half when it was up in the $55 range... was hoping to get back in at $53...

BUT, I see a number of people here are cutting me out!!! Bidding more than I am ... it has not come down as much as I want, so I will move on...

Still have the AES-C money coming in which is my #1 holding by far... not sure what I want to do with the proceeds... I am already higher than I want to be on the risk scale... but the good rated ones just do not have enough yield...
Old 06-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #2012

You guys wear me out with all the ins and outs. I'm still a buy below par and hold guy, although the "good" below pars are scarce. Picked up a few new issues at par, but I'm up 20% from October '14 when I moved a $100k from my 401k.

Carry on without me.....
Old 06-05-2017, 07:17 PM   #2013
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Yea, I had 500 CNTHP but sold half when it was up in the $55 range... was hoping to get back in at $53...

BUT, I see a number of people here are cutting me out!!! Bidding more than I am ... it has not come down as much as I want, so I will move on...

Still have the AES-C money coming in which is my #1 holding by far... not sure what I want to do with the proceeds... I am already higher than I want to be on the risk scale... but the good rated ones just do not have enough yield...

That is a shame that one was called, Texas. The good thing about it, this had a "gentle call". No real cap loss counting the accruing divi... Things sure change...It was about 2 years ago they were issuing 6% senior notes...Now 6.75% Junior subordinated notes are getting pulled.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #2014
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
You guys wear me out with all the ins and outs. I'm still a buy below par and hold guy, although the "good" below pars are scarce. Picked up a few new issues at par, but I'm up 20% from October '14 when I moved a $100k from my 401k.

Carry on without me.....

You run out of wine today or something Winemaker?
Old 06-05-2017, 08:13 PM   #2015

Not at all, you guys make me dizzy in and out of everything. You'd think I drank several of the 1200 bottles in the cellar!

I am enjoying a Scotch Ale aged in a peated bourbon barrel, though.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:33 PM   #2016
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not at all, you guys make me dizzy in and out of everything. You'd think I drank several of the 1200 bottles in the cellar!

I am enjoying a Scotch Ale aged in a peated bourbon barrel, though.

I havent had that, but I love Scotch Ale beer though! Bought a Vignoles Sunday and told my GF she should come over midweek some day after work this week and drink it with me. She decided that was too long a wait so it has been in the trash can empty since yesterday.
I do juice returns trading...But the main reason it is fun. If I knew for sure I could trade 30 times a day and break exactly even to if I didnt trade at all, I would do it, lol!
I trade a lot but the cast of characters mostly stays the same... I just looked at what I own: AILNP, AILLL, CNLPL, CNTHP, CNIGO, FISSO, DMRRP, BURCP, CTWSO, BGE-B, GBLIL, MHO-A, UMH-B, and KYN-F.
I suspect only a quarter of my money ever really gets moved around.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #2017

I brewed the Scotch ale, and aged it in a 12 gallon barrel from a local distillery. I ended up making it twice for 24 gallons.

Vignoles is a little sweet for me, but DW enjoys it.

I'm just jagging you guys on trading, I tend to KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #2018

I brewed the Scotch ale, and aged it in a 12 gallon barrel from a local distillery. I ended up making it twice for 24 gallons.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:28 AM   #2019
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm trader until my free trades are up.

Then hopefully all I am is a buy something when something is called kind of person.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #2020
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Your getting a bit windy, Winemaker... You dont trade because you are too busy making wine and whiskey, and then all the sampling work that goes with it. [emoji1]
Closed Thread