Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-06-2021, 04:13 AM   #301
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Monmouth Real Estate PR-C will be getting called sooner than 9/15/21 due to merger with Equity Commonwealth.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2021, 06:53 AM   #302
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For anyone looking to invest monies may consider these.

For anyone looking for a more call anchored issue with relative value watch DTJ. Someone is controlled dumping as past few days it sags to around 25.34. It goes exD of 34 cents a week from Friday. So it basically is being bought at par at that entry point. The relative value is comparing it to sister 4.38% called protected DTB which is trading at $25.19. Throw in the fact utes are notorious slow “callers” and fact they may want to redeem the 6% DTY first which is redeemable this December, this one could have a little bit of staying power.
Also, there has been a decent volume controlled seller of SLMNP at $1050. I have a full position there. Its usually hard to get but the seller usually pops out each day at that price. 400 shares traded today which is a huge volume day.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:46 AM   #303
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the tip, Mully. Picked up 400 at $25.35 this AM
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:25 AM   #304
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the heads-up. Got some DTJ today.
RicDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:51 PM   #305
Give me a forum ...

OK, got an email about UBTI from Vanguard because I have preferred in a partnership...

Is all the income from a partnership subject to this tax? I thought it was just a part of the income...

Might have to sell my GLP-A....

On a side note... with GLP-B out now and fixed... is it a better holding? That is if I can hold it in my IRA.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:30 PM   #306
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
OK, got an email about UBTI from Vanguard because I have preferred in a partnership...

Is all the income from a partnership subject to this tax? I thought it was just a part of the income...

Might have to sell my GLP-A....

On a side note... with GLP-B out now and fixed... is it a better holding? That is if I can hold it in my IRA.
I wondering about how this could affect me, so I hope you don't mind answering.

Is the UBTI email from Vanguard regarding a taxable or non-taxable account ?

I have some in non-taxable and not Vanguard, but it does not trigger an broker email, probably due to the small amount.
I'm worried about a taxable account where I have bought some recently.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:32 PM   #307
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Monmouth Real Estate PR-C will be getting called sooner than 9/15/21 due to merger with Equity Commonwealth.
Seems to me it will be after June, so really only a month or two early from the planned potential Sept date.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:24 AM   #308
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I wondering about how this could affect me, so I hope you don't mind answering.

Is the UBTI email from Vanguard regarding a taxable or non-taxable account ?

I have some in non-taxable and not Vanguard, but it does not trigger an broker email, probably due to the small amount.
I'm worried about a taxable account where I have bought some recently.

An IRA account... and I got $2800 total

I doubled down on the security when it dropped a bunch and now have an $8000 gain plus the dividend
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:07 AM   #309
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks Winemaker for bringing this up.

I continue to find myself out of the loop on some of this information. (It was only from reading posts here that I got tuned into UBTI or the AILLL call for example.)

I have a substantial position in MNR/PRC and other than from you, haven't stumbled across this information. Where are you getting it?

And, again, thanks!
Old 05-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #310

Youbet,

Equity Commonwealth ( EQC ) is merging with MNR, transaction to be completed in 2H of 2021. Link is provided below:

The next dividend is assured, but after that it will depend on when they can get the transaction completed.

I also hold several hundred MNR-C, but am holding on.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/equit...031900940.html
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:34 PM   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Thanks Winemaker for bringing this up.

I continue to find myself out of the loop on some of this information. (It was only from reading posts here that I got tuned into UBTI or the AILLL call for example.)

I have a substantial position in MNR/PRC and other than from you, haven't stumbled across this information. Where are you getting it?

And, again, thanks!
I have an app on my my phone, Seeking Alpha, and it comes in handy. You put a portfolio in it, and it gives you live quotes and updates, if you choose. I check it fairly often and get a lot of good info. They have a website, also. Our favorite elder, Mulligan, is a regular commenter, under a different username, which I'll let him disclose if he chooses. Numerous articles on different subjects; it is free and some authors do hawk a subscription. Just beware about some of the articles, some is worth what you pay for, which is nothing. I've used it about 10 years.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:12 PM   #312
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have an app on my my phone, Seeking Alpha, and it comes in handy. You put a portfolio in it, and it gives you live quotes and updates, if you choose. I check it fairly often and get a lot of good info. They have a website, also. Our favorite elder, Mulligan, is a regular commenter, under a different username, which I'll let him disclose if he chooses. Numerous articles on different subjects; it is free and some authors do hawk a subscription. Just beware about some of the articles, some is worth what you pay for, which is nothing. I've used it about 10 years.

Ha, Yep its Gridbird. It homage to my old Big Red NFL St. Louis Football Cardinals. Thats was their local nickname back in the day.... I doubled down on DTJ at $25.30. Its basically same price as DTB 4.37% issue now. Call volume was 6-1 DTJ over DTB. Somebody is selling out thinking the party is over. Im willing to take opposite bet since its basically below par now and nothing to lose.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:06 AM   #313
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
Youbet,

Equity Commonwealth ( EQC ) is merging with MNR, transaction to be completed in 2H of 2021. Link is provided below:
Thanks! Great read. I own both the common (not much) and the preferred (7k shares). Both have been good to me.

My basis in MNR/PRC is about $24.66 so the call I was expecting in Sept at $25 PAR wasn't going to be too painful, beyond finding something else to do with the money. But I'm not quite sure what to do about the common. They're projecting the EQC shares I'll get in return for my MNR will reflect the MNR being worth about $19. But MNR closed at $19.49 yesterday. My basis is $13.73.
Quote:

The next dividend is assured, but after that it will depend on when they can get the transaction completed.
Quote:
Monmouth plans to continue to pay its regular quarterly common stock dividend and its Series C Cumulative Redeemable Preferred Stock dividend between signing and closing of the transaction.
Yeah, I see what ya mean per this paragraph from the article.
Quote:

I also hold several hundred MNR-C, but am holding on.
It doesn't seem like it will make much difference. I own everything inside IRA's so no tax consequences and I suppose I can just sit back (while working on doing a better job of researching this stuff!) and watch.

Thanks eveyone for helping me along on this stuff!
Old 05-08-2021, 11:23 AM   #314
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Ha, Yep its Gridbird. It homage to my old Big Red NFL St. Louis Football Cardinals. Thats was their local nickname back in the day.... I doubled down on DTJ at $25.30. Its basically same price as DTB 4.37% issue now. Call volume was 6-1 DTJ over DTB. Somebody is selling out thinking the party is over. Im willing to take opposite bet since its basically below par now and nothing to lose.
I was a Chicago Cardinal fan back in the day! That was quite a while ago....... ! The Stadium they played in and Shared with the White Sox was torn down long ago........
Old 05-08-2021, 11:34 AM   #315
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just downloaded the app. Will play with it later. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2021, 12:29 PM   #316
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I was a Chicago Cardinal fan back in the day! That was quite a while ago....... ! The Stadium they played in and Shared with the White Sox was torn down long ago........

Ha, youbet, Now that really is “old school”!
Duration of PFFD?
Old 05-09-2021, 03:18 AM   #317

Duration of PFFD?

Hi. Hope this is an OK sub-topic for this thread...

Is there a way to calculate the effective duration of PFFD?

I believe preferreds tend to perform like fixed income so rate volatility should impact preferred prices, yes?

Setting aside the tax treatment of some choices I'm considering, I see the following durations:

MLN: 8.94
VTEB: 5.26
SWAGX: 6.26

PFFD:

This is relatively short term money I'm working with (1-3 years), so interest near-term interest rate moves are a real consideration.

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2021, 05:20 PM   #318
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokrken View Post
Thanks for the tip, Mully. Picked up 400 at $25.35 this AM
I picked up 400 at the same price this morning.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:32 AM   #319

How did I not know TDE was getting called? I have to start paying more attention!
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:24 PM   #320

I don't know who else holds a piece of CEQP-, but there's a "CONSENT SOLICITATION STATEMENT" filing on 5/17 relating to changes as one of the sponsors (First Reserve Fund) wants to exit. This would then trigger a change of control, so Crestwood is looking to change the terms of the preferred agreement to strike out the language relating to the exit of the sponsor / change of control.

From the letter:
Quote:
As announced on March 25, 2021, we have entered into agreements with our former sponsor, First Reserve, providing for its complete exit from its investment in our partnership and transitioning us to a governance structure that includes a publicly elected board of directors. We believe these changes will further align the interests of management and our board of directors with those of our public investors, consistent with our long-term ESG strategy. These governance changes not only enhance the voting rights of holders of common units but also those of holders of preferred units, since holders of preferred units will be entitled to vote with holders of common units in elections of board members, as well as on other matters.
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...751dpre14a.htm

This was also in the letter and caught my eye.....

Quote:
We realize your time is valuable, and consequently, subject to receipt of requisite consents, we are offering a consent fee of $ per preferred unit to be paid to holders of preferred units who validly provide (and do not revoke) their consents to this proposed amendment at or prior to 5:00 p.m., Eastern Time, on , 2021 (subject to termination or extension).
it's fill in the blank as the amount of the consent fee, someone on another forum mention it was $0.125/preferred unit, or $1.25 per 100 block.

Might be better to force them to exercise the change of control. It currently has a floor of $10, shares closed today at $9.11
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote