Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between 2021

I just noticed today that C-K (aka C/PRK) has been called effetive on its next dividend date of 11/15/2023 for $25.00 plus the $0.42968 dividend. I bought in June for $25.20 but it all works out ok since I will have collected two divvies plus the stated price... 6.79% IRR.

I just noticed today that C-K (aka C/PRK) has been called effetive on its next dividend date of 11/15/2023 for $25.00 plus the $0.42968 dividend. I bought in June for $25.20 but it all works out ok since I will have collected two divvies plus the stated price... 6.79% IRR.

Whew... I got C-N.... however, it is $3 over par...

Oh wow... just looked and got a GLP-A dividend that was really good... like 12.6%...

Glad I kept it...

Edit to add.... just noticed that a lot of my preferred shares are now over par!!! Some selling at $28+...

Last edited:
Just noticed that AGRIP was called for 1/1/24...

Only had it a short time and paid $101 ish... so not a great one for me...

Will have to look for something else now... and rates have dropped a bunch the last month... :mad:

Just noticed that AGRIP was called for 1/1/24...

Only had it a short time and paid $101 ish... so not a great one for me...

Will have to look for something else now... and rates have dropped a bunch the last month... :mad:

Hey Texas, these may be something to look at. Decent companies, new issues, already moved up from their $25 issue price.

CGBDL (8.2% - Due 2028)
NMFCZ (8.25% - Due 2028) Moody's rated Baa3

Rates may be peaking or have peaked, so I've been looking to pickup a few lower fixed rate issues myself with good yields and maybe picking up some capital gains down the road if/when rates move downward. I picked up WFC-L last month for $1030 (about 7% yield), now $1115 and just pocketed dividend.

Not sure who recommended it but I bought some CUBI-F awhile back at less than $16.. almost back to $25...

I had owned it before it dropped but picked up more at the lower price... sitting on good cap gain...

Will look at what you recommended but I would like to go out on the maturity side... do not want to have to reinvest soon... I do not think rates will stay here for years...

Will look at what you recommended but I would like to go out on the maturity side... do not want to have to reinvest soon... I do not think rates will stay here for years...

If it's long maturity you are interested in, WFC-L would fit your need, a busted convertible issue. Right now yield shows as 6.7%, so about same as AGRIP. Higher risk, but do you think Wells Fargo is going under? Happy Investing....

I'd look at BAC pref's, and the bustedd -L. I just cant get into WFC with all the bad things they have done and the risk more might come out. BAC might look a bit more risky, but I actually think the opposite. Yields approx the same.

Getting started

Good Morning
I've never really invested in individual preferred's. I know some gurus feel the risk reward doesn't pan out BUT it strikes me that this is an area where if one "hunkers down" they can dig up some inefficiencies (i.e. priced under par, yielding 6-8% or so, relatively secure, and of course one could diversify away a good portion of the risk I assume?)

That said, where would you direct a newbie in learning? I'm 58 and been investing since 22 so I know enough to get myself in trouble! Currently I'm deploying about 800K from sale of apartment buildings. Laddering a combo of TIPs and nominal treasuries, using bulletshares IGC's to "enhance" the overall yield a bit (or so I hope) but looking to find that juicy "risk to reward" ratio. Maybe preferreds are it?

Last edited:
I learned a lot just from this thread.

But I'm not sure they are really worth it in the end, at least not a clear shining win. This doesn't apply to folks who put a LOT of work into it.
I'm more of a buy & hold person, and not a buy, flip , buy, flip , buy, flip , buy, flip type as I'm too lazy.

One downside for me is: it's more risk like a stock, but pretty limited upside, might go up in value 10% or 20% but unlike an etf will not rise 50->100% every 10 years. They will pay out more like maybe 6% where an etf may pay 3.7%.

Look and compare SCHD over years to whatever preferred you are looking at, and see which is better in past 10->20 years.

Since you are looking for inefficiencies perhaps the work you put into it will pay off better for you.

I've been all over the place on my preferred stock opinion. I used to keep my positions held to a 200 share limit ~$5,000, but no longer.

After almost 10 years of traveling, cooking, growing, wine making, and collecting pension and rent checks, we've sold the rentals after 24 years of that side gig. I was never big on bond funds, or individual bonds but the past few years gave me a better education and perspective. While I still do not have many bonds as part of my fixed income portfolio. I use Preferred Stock as mini -bonds. For example, Huntington Bank Preferred P 4.50% (HBANP at Fido) is a $25 par issue that currently sells at $18.81. It still pays the original $1.125 annual dividend, which is 6.036% on the $18.81, but I bought a crap load at $17.75, which is 6.63%. I can sit and hold that position for a while. I'm good if it gets called, and I have many other positions just like it. No, it's not Apple or Boeing but I don't need it to be either, just Huntington Bank P.

Sunoco LP to Acquire NuStar Energy L.P. in Transaction Valued at $7.3 Billion

For those with NSS, NS-A, NS-B and NS-C.....

Sunoco has secured a $1.6 billion 364-day bridge term loan to refinance NuStar's Series A, B and C Preferred Units, Subordinated Notes, Revolving Credit Facility, and Receivables Financing Agreement.

Looks like NSS trading way above par going to get a scalping today. Closed Friday at $26.66, most likely trading around $25.50 at the open today.

From another perspective, looks like buying NS-A @ $25.50 is 10%+ XIRR if it remains outstanding until end of 2nd quarter.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...nsaction-valued-at-7-3-billion-302040392.html

Thanks for the heads up bob. It was good while it lasted. Now where to put that money?

Last edited:
Sunoco LP to Acquire NuStar Energy L.P. in Transaction Valued at $7.3 Billion

For those with NSS, NS-A, NS-B and NS-C.....

Looks like NSS trading way above par going to get a scalping today. Closed Friday at $26.66, most likely trading around $25.50 at the open today.

From another perspective, looks like buying NS-A @ $25.50 is 10%+ XIRR if it remains outstanding until end of 2nd quarter.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...nsaction-valued-at-7-3-billion-302040392.html

Ouch.... I have been worried about this being over par for awhile but was too greedy... and I have a good amount of it IMO...

Edit to add... just looked... I still have over $7,800 cap gain on it even with the drop in price... I will take it as a win..

Last edited:
Anyone holding NYCB-U, it's getting hammered today. Earnings were terrible and they cut their common dividend. Hope they don't defer the dividend on this issue, which they have the ability to do for 20 quarters.

Anyone holding NYCB-U, it's getting hammered today. Earnings were terrible and they cut their common dividend. Hope they don't defer the dividend on this issue, which they have the ability to do for 20 quarters.

I read they lowered the common divi, not cut it entirely... so as long as they are paying common share they should be paying preferred shares...

CTA-B has been on a downward trend for the past few days, closing today at $68.58, down 5% for the past week. Trading volume surged, with 183K shares traded today compared to the 10-day average of 7K. I decided to take a solid position today at $68.50. Yield is 6.6%.

On the flip side, common shares have been steadily climbing during the same period, from $51.20 to $55.04 today, marking a solid 7.5% increase. And sister issue CTA-A is only down 1% for the same period and it has a yield that's 50bp lower.

It's possible the recent drop is due to a large holder lightening their position. It's pretty secure from call with a call price of $120. If they would like to call this I'm glad to redeem at that price.

BBB rated by S&P. Not financial advise. Do your own due diligence.

Opps, call of -B is 102, call of -A is 120.

No, as I previously stated, "B" is $120 and "A" is $102.

2024-02-15_14-01-14.jpg

2024-02-15_14-01-27.jpg

Back
Top Bottom