Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-17-2021, 10:21 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I did pick up 300 TDE yesterday. On UZE I went off your post of yesterday as it was one you mentioned on the big list you posted. You didn't say much about it though. I did pick it up for $25.10.

Also, you stated "QRTEP is around par 8%. QRTEA (QVC) has been doing well. Sweet 2031 maturity date and nice protective covenants. John Malone owns an ass load, too."

QRTEA is not found? Is that the right symbol?

Aja, Clarification post, lol...I was using UZE as a reason to buy UZA or TDE...But not UZE. UZE has same standing as UZA but is over 100 bps lower in yield. UZE will drop hard on higher rates while TDE and UZA have price protection because their yield is so much higher.
QRTEA is the common stock ticker for Qurate (think QVC). QRTEP is the perferred under QRTEA.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

I found this: https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/qrtea

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:24 AM   #123
Full time employment: Posting here.

Aja, I believe QRTEA is the common and QRTEP is the preferred
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:32 AM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Aja, Clarification post, lol...I was using UZE as a reason to buy UZA or TDE...But not UZE. UZE has same standing as UZA but is over 100 bps lower in yield. UZE will drop hard on higher rates while TDE and UZA have price protection because their yield is so much higher.
QRTEA is the common stock ticker for Qurate (think QVC). QRTEP is the perferred under QRTEA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokrken View Post
Aja, I believe QRTEA is the common and QRTEP is the preferred
Thanks!

I placed an order to buy QRTEP @$100.10. Filling up the div bucket.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:41 PM   #125

EP-C, MNR-C, QRTEP.

I added PPX and IPLDP today.

Wouldn't mind picking up a few more.
Born2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:46 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

WTREP dumped to under $25.20 and I bought more at $25.19. Maybe someone knows something as there seems to be dumps not dribbles. But it goes exD in a month for 48 cents so its worth it either way to me.
Look at the pricing of this issue and go back to March of last year when most liquid issues were rocked from $25 down to $10-$15. $22.69 was its low...incredible.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:33 AM   #127
Dryer sheet aficionado

AT&T Preferrerd "C" went under $25, seems like a pretty low risk solid 5% play?
DR1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:50 AM   #128
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1959 View Post
AT&T Preferrerd "C" went under $25, seems like a pretty low risk solid 5% play?
4.75% check out how fast it dropped in the past week or so, from 25.60s to sub $25 with the increase in 10 year Treasuries rates. I think one needs to be very careful with the sub 5% preferred and notes. I've pretty much sold off any sub 5% pref.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:55 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
4.75% check out how fast it dropped in the past week or so, from 25.60s to sub $25 with the increase in 10 year Treasuries rates. I think one needs to be very careful with the sub 5% preferred and notes. I've pretty much sold off any sub 5% pref.

I agree RE...About a month or two ago, I saw no advantage owning these types. This is what caused me to load up on the TDE, SESCF, SCCC etc. of its ilk because they hold up better on a higher yield and growing economy.
I did buy some IPLDP around $25.70 a few days ago. But that was only to counter balance my increasing reach for yield in less than IG quality issues. I fully expect it to sputter and sag.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:19 AM   #130

DR1959, could consider TDA, 5.875%, past call but can get for a few pennies above call price, collect the dividends until if/when it gets called. BB rating. Or TDE with half a divvie premium.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:47 AM   #131
Moderator Emeritus

I'm considering WTREP, 8.5% Cum Prf. per Mulligans suggestion in a post above. It's pretty new too.

I currently have AT&T cash covered puts at $27 and have been riding the options on it back and forth between $27 - $34 for a good while now. Screw the preferred, just play the options on it. It seems to trade in that range pretty steadily.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:09 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I bought some QRTEP at $100.

I also sold my WCC-A at $30.99 , no need to wait for the div's and the price to drop.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Just for clarification, I consider QRTEP in my higher risk bucket. I probably own a bit too much for my stash. But I got in around $93 when QRTEA shareholders had these dumped into their acct and said, “WTF is this, I will just sell it and take the cash”.
See most preferreds are issued as capital and corporation receives proceeds from underwriting and selling. This however was not sold...It was just given to shareholders.. A freebee that likely drained the value of the common a bit when it was issued last fall. John Malone likes to “extract value” from his companies, and this was a unique way to do so. QVC had a helluva Covid year and Qurate gave out 30% of its stock value in special dividends last year in addition to the preferred.
Hopefully some of the Covid momentum Qurate got will be partially continued going forward so the preferred stays reasonably safe.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:50 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm considering WTREP, 8.5% Cum Prf. per Mulligans suggestion in a post above. It's pretty new too.

I currently have AT&T cash covered puts at $27 and have been riding the options on it back and forth between $27 - $34 for a good while now. Screw the preferred, just play the options on it. It seems to trade in that range pretty steadily.

Aja, just remember WTREP is most likely a short rope play. Its house odds it will be redeemed sometime this year. But 48 cents is coming end of March so that divi is in the bag anyways.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:58 AM   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Aja, just remember WTREP is most likely a short rope play. Its house odds it will be redeemed sometime this year. But 48 cents is coming end of March so that divi is in the bag anyways.
Yes, I understand. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2021, 12:32 PM   #136

Fiiso, wfc-l, bac-l, ailll, ailim, cnlpl, cnthp, ipwlk, qrtep, aprdo, ipldp, ktba, mnr-c, rnr-e, cbklp, bgepf, cnigp
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:59 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Dont forget FPI-B if one wants to play inflating land value angle from inflation or asset inflation in a chicken hearted way. This issue participates in land value gain. Was issued at $25, but is now worth $25.80 at redemption and resets again any value gain again this coming August. Has a 10% yield step up penalty in 2024 if not redeemed or converted.
CEO has been buying up shares of common so I dont see a dilution redemption into shares coming at all. I own a healthy amount here and flip back and forth on 20 cents frequently...Did it today also, lol..Goes exD again in less than a month.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
Fiiso, wfc-l, bac-l, ailll, ailim, cnlpl, cnthp, ipwlk, qrtep, aprdo, ipldp, ktba, mnr-c, rnr-e, cbklp, bgepf, cnigp

Hey Coolius, glad to see you finally climbing out of your bunker..Guess you have to use sunglasses posting now you come out of the cave.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:54 PM   #139

Picked up some QRTEP today at $99.98, but it went to $99.90 at end of day.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:58 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Hang on until 2031 Winemaker and if they are still in business you are guaranteed to get your $100 back!