Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-21-2021, 07:25 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yup, it looks like holders had about 3 weeks the last time there was a downward reset.

Quote:
...TVA announced on April 29, 2020 that the coupon rate on the TVA 1998 Series D (NYSE: TVC) PARRS bonds (CUSIP number 880591300) will be reset from the current rate of 3.550% to the new rate of 2.134% beginning on June 1, 2020. Investors who wish to exercise a put option and return their bonds must contact their financial institution and complete repayment arrangements with the Depository Trust Company no later than Friday, May 22, 2020.

TVA will pay $25 for each bond properly put in addition to the standard quarterly dividend payment occurring on June 1, 2020.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2021, 09:48 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yes, that's what it looks like to me.
Hmmmm...... I'm trying to get my head around the consequences of that policy. So, you buy when the CMT is 5% and your yield is about 5.9%. Then you ride it down to CMT = 2% and your yield is approximately 2.9%. Then CMT goes back up to 5%, but you stay at 2.9%. That doesn't sound like much fun.

I guess being able to put the shares at par if there is a reset is the mitigating factor.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:37 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Hmmmm...... I'm trying to get my head around the consequences of that policy. So, you buy when the CMT is 5% and your yield is about 5.9%. Then you ride it down to CMT = 2% and your yield is approximately 2.9%. Then CMT goes back up to 5%, but you stay at 2.9%. That doesn't sound like much fun.

I guess being able to put the shares at par if there is a reset is the mitigating factor.

You have to remember this issue originated in the late 1990s. Who woulda thunk the interest rate cycle would have came to where we were from the 1990s? This issue has no interest level to me at this point.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:05 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

It doesn't to me either other than I was thinking of it as a possible substitute for CD money... TVE has negligible credit risk as it is rated Aaa by Moody's and AA+ by S&P and pays over 2.216% for TVE and matures on May 1, 2029.

So if someone had CD money maturing then TVE @ $25.67 if held to maturity on 5/1/29 yields ~1.90%... better than a ~1.25% for a 9 year CD.

Downside is that the exit value between now and May 1, 2029 may be more or less than what you paid.

But even if you were paid the divvides for 5 years and were able to exit at $25 it would be a 1.68% return and much better than 0.5% for a 5-year CD.

If rates decline and you don't like the new rate then you can put it to the issuer at $25.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:59 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Folks, this might help some of you looking to move money out of the crazy market but not willing to get almost zero return of CD's. I went to QuantumOnline (please donate if you use it as I do...hate for Quantum to ever go away!) and screened the lowest coupons with the assumption a low risk stock at or under par has to have a low coupon. I then trashed everything but utilities. Ended up here, VERY ILLIQUID and hovers around 3-4% but at or below par: HAWLM, AILLO, IPWLO, CNLTL,WELPP, NMPWP. I have not got them all, but await as rates might tick up thus lowering the price. I also did add some Seaspan bonds discussed earlier. These are, of course, thinly traded and there are some sister offerings from the same groups. For some of these they have been trading for over 20 years. In the world of low rates I'm figuring these are in the safest range and might stay another 20 years even at zero interest...or called at par.
tizod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:26 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Mulligan - pb4uski: Thanks for the comments and explanations.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:14 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

EP/PRC up 9+% today.....
Old 01-26-2021, 08:28 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizod View Post
Folks, this might help some of you looking to move money out of the crazy market but not willing to get almost zero return of CD's. I went to QuantumOnline (please donate if you use it as I do...hate for Quantum to ever go away!) and screened the lowest coupons with the assumption a low risk stock at or under par has to have a low coupon. I then trashed everything but utilities. Ended up here, VERY ILLIQUID and hovers around 3-4% but at or below par: HAWLM, AILLO, IPWLO, CNLTL,WELPP, NMPWP. I have not got them all, but await as rates might tick up thus lowering the price. I also did add some Seaspan bonds discussed earlier. These are, of course, thinly traded and there are some sister offerings from the same groups. For some of these they have been trading for over 20 years. In the world of low rates I'm figuring these are in the safest range and might stay another 20 years even at zero interest...or called at par.

Tizod, most of those you mentioned above were issued in the 1940s and 1950s. So they have definitely been around longer than 20 years. They are what you would call “veteran preferreds”, lol...

Aja, I saw that but was out of them...Are you ringing the bell on a sale?

If you want a “nickel stacker” try to get in on HLM- at $25.25 or below. This is getting redeemed per SEC filing prior to merger which is anticipated to be in second quarter sometime. Pays almost 25 cents monthly. So if bought at above price, it only has to survive until March 1 to break even then its money good until redemption. It is presently not on 30 day call notice yet. I bought some at $25.25 today.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:33 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post

Aja, I saw that but was out of them...Are you ringing the bell on a sale?
No, I was on the golf course all day today and the market was closed when I saw this. I'll ring the bell in the morning if it's still at $54.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:09 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
No, I was on the golf course all day today and the market was closed when I saw this. I'll ring the bell in the morning if it's still at $54.

Thats a great excuse! Been too cold here this week. Hoping for 45 degrees plus next week to get out again and play with the group.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:51 AM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
EP/PRC up 9+% today.....
Thanks for the heads up on EP-C.
Born2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:22 AM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Fish View Post
Thanks for the heads up on EP-C.

Jump on it.Up about two years worth of dividends above par. Buy it back under $50 later.

I just sold all I had @$54.40.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:01 AM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thats a great excuse! Been too cold here this week. Hoping for 45 degrees plus next week to get out again and play with the group.
We have been having highs of 75 F making golf days a pleasure. Dress for 45 F but have fun out there.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:40 PM   #74
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Get your buy list ready... We may see the bubble pop soon which will bring fixed income securities down just like last March. Reddit traders are playing a game of chicken with short sellers causing valuations of near bankrupt to astronomical valuations. This will not end well for many.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:57 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Get you buy list ready... We may see the bubble pop soon which will bring fixed income securities down just like last March. Reddit traders are playing a game of chicken with short sellers causing valuations of near bankrupt to astronomical valuations. This will not end well for many.
Looks like the hedge funds are going to close out their GME shorts at high prices if this Reddit "attack of the Kids" makes it through Friday expiration. Other highly shorted stocks are being pumped up too (BB, AMC, etc).

I'd like to see my preferreds pull back below par so I can load up on some more.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:20 PM   #76
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Looks like the hedge funds are going to close out their GME shorts at high prices if this Reddit "attack of the Kids" makes it through Friday expiration. Other highly shorted stocks are being pumped up too (BB, AMC, etc).

I'd like to see my preferreds pull back below par so I can load up on some more.
Many funds that were short will have to liquidate other holdings to meet margin requirements. This could have a cascading effect on other stocks and fixed income securities. This speculative bubble will eventually pop. Just sit back and wait to pick up quality fixed income issues.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:10 PM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Jump on it.Up about two years worth of dividends above par. Buy it back under $50 later.

I just sold all I had @$54.40.
Yep I had nearly 2 years worth of dividends too. Sold!
Born2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 04:56 AM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Fish View Post
Yep I had nearly 2 years worth of dividends too. Sold!
Nice job! Now, if it drifts back below $50, say $48/49, buy t again. It's pretty solid as an investment.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:56 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

You guys sitting on cash may look to slide into TDE, I doubled down again as a hideout at $25.45 Friday. Compare to sister TDA its a 100 bps free ride, as both are past call. TDE is 6.875% and goes exD 2/12 and pays a few days later. So its accruing on to next payment already allowing for 30 day call notice which apparently isnt coming yet again.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:28 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You guys sitting on cash may look to slide into TDE, I doubled down again as a hideout at $25.45 Friday. Compare to sister TDA its a 100 bps free ride, as both are past call. TDE is 6.875% and goes exD 2/12 and pays a few days later. So its accruing on to next payment already allowing for 30 day call notice which apparently isnt coming yet again.
Thanks, will do!