Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2021, 04:08 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Thanks for pointing this out.
I hadn't thought of it this way, that my current rate is 8.7% but will lose $5.5 when called, so even at 4 yrs out, that really pulls down the YTC rate.

Sunset, That being said, assuming a non chaotic market, issues like this one wont descend in a corresponding manner. Typically that start crushing you with painful drops on exD and no recovery the last 2 years or so before call. So you have time to reflect on it for awhile I believe.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2021, 01:19 PM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

What's everyone's line-up these days. I need some new ideas. I'm currently holding ATCO-G (old SSW), GLP-A, MS-F, NSS, NYCB-U, OTRKP, RILYZ, TBB
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:27 PM   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokrken View Post
What's everyone's line-up these days. I need some new ideas. I'm currently holding ATCO-G (old SSW), GLP-A, MS-F, NSS, NYCB-U, OTRKP, RILYZ, TBB
This:

CHS (CHSCM)
TDE
AILLL
KTN
NISOP
SJIJ
Spire Inc
IPLDP
Old 02-16-2021, 02:21 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
....... Just be careful with the number button punching when you get older. My dad was trying to buy some IPWLK 5-6 years ago, while I was visiting. And buy order wasnt going through and he didnt know why...I looked and said, “Dad it isnt going through because you are trying to buy $5 million dollars worth of it. You dont even have a million in the account.” Too many zeroes, lol.
I almost did something similar today.
Selling 100 WCC-A , I punched in sell for $3.099 instead of $30.99

Fortunately I saw it before I clicked sell ...
Old 02-16-2021, 02:23 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
I have:
NSS, CNTHP, WCC-A , EBBNF , SPLP-A

My problem is I'm lazy or more of a buy and hold investor.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:17 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
what's everyone's line-up these days. I need some new ideas. I'm currently holding atco-g (old ssw), glp-a, ms-f, nss, nycb-u, otrkp, rilyz, tbb
acglp, ago-b, ahl-d, altgf, bac-m, bamh, bsa, bxs-a, cbklp, cof-j, duk-a, enb.pf.u, gainl, gjh, gs-d, hig-g, htlfp, ipldp, ipwlk, jpm-h, met-e, mnr-c, pbc, pcg-d, pre-h, puk-, rnr-e, rzb, sce-l, schw-c, slmnp, tcbip, tfc-f, wfc-z

ETA: For some reason, when I "Submit Reply" all the caps are changed to lower case.... for not only my post but also the quoted post. Wierd.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:50 PM   #107
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

chscm, cnlpl, cnthp,agmprf, ipldp,lando, mnrpc, qrtep, sjij, tda, uepep, uza
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:26 PM   #108

aline, arrc, atcod, inne, nnnf, nymto, rlja, tannz, tfcc, ubpp, cdrb, ctbb, dcpb, gsa, merk, mnrc, splpa, wfcx, nymtp, gmlpp, kiml, mdlx, wfcp just to name a few.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:00 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between 2021

You asked for it! Some are holders, some are flippers, and some were meant to be holders that became flippers, and some I buy and sell over and over in a years time...
AILLM, AILLN, AILIM, CEQP-, CNIGP, FPI-B, HAWLI, IPLDP, NSARO, NYCB-U, PCG-A, PPWLO, PPX, PRIF-D, QRTEP, SBNCM, SCCC, SESCF, SLMNP, TDE, UZA, VNORP, WTREP....
Some thoughts... Rates are drifting higher which typically puts pressure on low yielding IG perpetuals.
Liquid 4% perpetuals are at most risk...
A few ideas... PPX is down to 25.37 (one interest payment above par). Past call You get 5.8% BBB rated subordinated debt... It was issued in 2013 with a 1.9% 10 year and BB+ rating.. Yes it could get called but who cares, milk the cow as long as it goes or flip right before going exAd when it rises...
CEQP-, Noncallable 10.5% preferred. Middling quality but I like this as a high risk bucket play, but I renetered around $7.50 and have a divi in hand too..Its a K-1 though.
QRTEP is around par 8%. QRTEA (QVC) has been doing well. Sweet 2031 maturity date and nice protective covenants. John Malone owns an ass load, too.
SESCF is past first call and 2027 maturity near par. Was going to be redeemed then backed off from Covid. Seaspan is doing fine.
WTREP...WTRE is getting acquired and preferred may or may not stay outstanding. Who cares at $25.32 if you sit on it. Goes exD next month and acquisition isnt complete yet..
I reentered TDE today at $25.09. Your getting 6.8% off BB debt, and it has basically a new twin sister UZE with 5.5% par yield at 25.10. TDS owns USM...
Old 02-16-2021, 08:50 PM   #110

My list is a bit shorter than it's been, made decision to get into equities to ride the lift up in the market and also considering yields and possible call on some issues. Here's what I'm still holding.

CEQP-, CHMI-B, CMRE-C, EP-C, GMLPP, NYCB-U, QRTEP, UZC
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:05 AM   #111

Quote:
WTREP...WTRE is getting acquired and preferred may or may not stay outstanding. Who cares at $25.32 if you sit on it. Goes exD next month and acquisition isnt complete yet..
Hey Mulli - according to Quantum, WTREP is now (as of 6/30/19) floating at 3mo LIBOR + 6.6785%. 3ML is 0.18863% today, so if my math is correct that would drop the div to about 43 cents if repriced today, currently paying 48 cents (7.75%). I don't see the IPO on this, do you know if there there is a floor? If not, next dividend seems it will be much lower. But then not sure how it's paying the 48 cents as of last dividend.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:38 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Hey Mulli - according to Quantum, WTREP is now (as of 6/30/19) floating at 3mo LIBOR + 6.6785%. 3ML is 0.18863% today, so if my math is correct that would drop the div to about 43 cents if repriced today, currently paying 48 cents (7.75%). I don't see the IPO on this, do you know if there there is a floor? If not, next dividend seems it will be much lower. But then not sure how it's paying the 48 cents as of last dividend.

Yes, Bob its already floating, but the cool thing is it has a minimum 1% Libor floor, so the yield is still very strong. The merger will complete sometime first half of year but next divi is in the bag...If they drag their heels on a call (they kind of imply that would happen in SEC filings, but no guarantee) that just makes it even better. A great place to hide out to see if preferreds reset in pricing.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:46 AM   #113

Quote:
Yes, Bob its already floating, but the cool thing is it has a minimum 1% Libor floor, so the yield is still very strong. The merger will complete sometime first half of year but next divi is in the bag...If they drag their heels on a call (they kind of imply that would happen in SEC filings, but no guarantee) that just makes it even better. A great place to hide out to see if preferreds reset in pricing.
Ah, then that explains it. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:41 AM   #114

Thanks guys, Picked up some TDE yesterday and PPX and QRTEP this morning to add to the preferred/baby bond bucket
Old 02-17-2021, 08:44 AM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

I have new orders in for UZE and EP/PRC. Still refilling the bucket. I need to have enough dividends to offset my RMD pulls!

Thanks for all the tips given out in this thread!

Edit: Picked up 77 EP/PRC @ $50.20 before it took off again.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:59 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I have new orders in for UZE and EP/PRC. Still refilling the bucket. I need to have enough dividends to offset my RMD pulls!

Thanks for all the tips given out in this thread!

Aja, Im just throwing this out there, but why not jump on TDE or UZA instead of UZE. UZE will face pressure if rates on long end keeps rising. Even if the former 2 are redeemed down the road, the likelihood of UZE being much higher is minimal.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:07 AM   #117

Mully, when is the record date on QRTEP? It isn't clear on Quantum. Am I going to get the March divy?
Old 02-17-2021, 09:27 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Mully, when is the record date on QRTEP? It isn't clear on Quantum. Am I going to get the March divy?

Ken, I dont think its been declared yet. ExD will be sometime at the end of this month. Buying this week will be no problem in collecting next divi.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:34 AM   #119

Quote:
Aja, Im just throwing this out there, but why not jump on TDE or UZA instead of UZE. UZE will face pressure if rates on long end keeps rising. Even if the former 2 are redeemed down the road, the likelihood of UZE being much higher is minimal.
Any reason you wouldn't look at UZC or even UZB instead? I know maybe slightly higher chance of call, but both issues same coupon rate, so chances of both called 25 basis points on the div yield as call premium.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:59 AM   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I did pick up 300 TDE yesterday. On UZE I went off your post of yesterday as it was one you mentioned on the big list you posted. You didn't say much about it though. I did pick it up for $25.10.

Quote:
I reentered TDE today at $25.09. Your getting 6.8% off BB debt, and it has basically a new twin sister UZE with 5.5% par yield at 25.10.
Also, you stated "QRTEP is around par 8%. QRTEA (QVC) has been doing well. Sweet 2031 maturity date and nice protective covenants. John Malone owns an ass load, too."

QRTEA is not found? Is that the right symbol?