Join Early Retirement Today

Price Vs Growth Question
Old 05-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Price Vs Growth Question

So I'm trying to figure this out and hoping that it's not so obvious that I (once again) demonstrate my lack of math skills, or general, occasional stupidity.

Playing with a few of my investments I noticed that over the past 5 years the price has not moved materially but the growth has gone up nicely.

For example, according to M*, (TRPrice Equity Income Fund) PRFDX has gone down from 33.0 to 30.0 over the past five years, but the five year annual total return has been 6.9%. A similar behaving fund is TRRGX (2015 Fund)

Dividends play a part but the dividends paid are around 2.2%. So where is the rest of the growth coming from? Is the rest of it reinvested Cap Gains? Yes, the price drops dramatically each year-end (Divs&CGs paid) but then recovers in a bit.

I can understand my bond funds keeping a fairly steady price but I'm trying to wrap my head around how you can deliver decent growth--even with dividends helping--and not have an appreciation in price.

Any insight?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
So I'm trying to figure this out and hoping that it's not so obvious that I (once again) demonstrate my lack of math skills, or general, occasional stupidity.

Playing with a few of my investments I noticed that over the past 5 years the price has not moved materially but the growth has gone up nicely.

For example, according to M*, (TRPrice Equity Income Fund) PRFDX has gone down from 33.0 to 30.0 over the past five years, but the five year annual total return has been 6.9%. A similar behaving fund is TRRGX (2015 Fund)

Dividends play a part but the dividends paid are around 2.2%. So where is the rest of the growth coming from? Is the rest of it reinvested Cap Gains? Yes, the price drops dramatically each year-end (Divs&CGs paid) but then recovers in a bit.

I can understand my bond funds keeping a fairly steady price but I'm trying to wrap my head around how you can deliver decent growth--even with dividends helping--and not have an appreciation in price.

Any insight?
I just posted about this in another thread. The NAV price reflects ex dividend, ex cap gains, etc. So you can't calculate return by looking only at the NAV from point to point. You need add in distributions.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote