PUTS and CALLS

Edit to add, this morning, I initiated a trade on a stock in the Dow, this will be a long term hold, my options go out to 2020. Deep in the money. Will see how this pan out, so far I’m ahead of this morning.
I’m embarrassed to post that I’m no longer a long term holder on this trade. Market has shaken this trade from me. I closed this trade with only $5 gain per share. It went up to almost $30 per share until the last few days, for a while I looked like a genius.

But I decided to close this trade because I still had a gain, and even though the stock went up today, the option went down in value slightly. I’m afraid my gain would evaporate to nothing.

I will not going back to this trade, at least not in my trading account.

Last edited:
I sell covered calls in my Roth, traditional and 401k accounts on core holdings only. I do it every January. I go out 1 year and pick the most out of the money call. It’s good for +/-$15k which I immediately reinvest. In last 10 years I may have had to roll a call up once or twice.

Put on another trade base on news regarding Facebook. We’ll see how this pans out.
Ultimately, I would like this trade to expire worthless, I get to keep the premium.

Last edited:
Just spent $27K on forcefed stock purchases from puts getting assigned.

Still have another $37K tied up on cash-covered puts that are in-the-money now, and these expire soon.

Darn, my stock AA is getting higher, against my wish to reduce it. Else, I would be selling puts at this time.

The total premium I get this year will be a 6-figure number. That's enough for me to live on.

Great job! I think I've got net losses, or just minimal gains, on my option writing, as I've had to roll up and out most of the time to avoid getting called away.

Thank you, but no I do not feel that good about this. The reason is despite the large premium I got, my shares dropped so much in price that the 6-figure premium is just a consolation.

I did get assigned quite a few times, and if I just sat on the cash, I would do well. However, being a stock lover, I wrote cash-covered puts to buy them back. Both the premium of the call and the put are not enough to make me whole.

The stocks I like to play options on are semiconductor, EM, and biotech stocks/ETFs. These are very volatile, hence the premium is much higher than something benign like Walmart or Procter-Gamble. So, I got addicted to these stocks. :)

Thank you, but no I do not feel that good about this. The reason is despite the large premium I got, my shares dropped so much in price that the 6-figure premium is just a consolation.

I did get assigned quite a few times, and if I just sat on the cash, I would do well. However, being a stock lover, I wrote cash-covered puts to buy them back. Both the premium of the call and the put are not enough to make me whole.

The stocks I like to play options on are semiconductor, EM, and biotech stocks/ETFs. These are very volatile, hence the premium is much higher than something benign like Walmart or Procter-Gamble. So, I got addicted to these stocks. :)

I'm a bit dumb, but what's EM ?

It's emerging market.

If you look, you will see that the 3 sectors I named were pummeled in the last month, and lost more than the S&P. Cost me some big money. Or rather, I have been giving back some of the gains I made last year.

Woke up late this morning, when the market had been trading for 1 hour already. Looked on the Web, and saw this headline about 3M and Caterpillar earning reports being under par. Uh Oh! I have both.

I had sold a 3M call with strike price of 210 expiry 11/16 on 10/17, premium of $3.05, when the stock is at 203. It is at 187 now. Yikes!

Bought back that option for $0.33, then sell a new one at strike price of 192.5, same expiry, premium of $3.5.

Trying to make a few bucks here and there to reduce the damage. Still just peanuts, considering that 3M's went as high as $260 back in February this year.

PS. I have owned 3M for a long time, and still have a very decent gain on it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom