Join Early Retirement Today

Reading "Get Rich with dividends" and let me say...
Old 06-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Reading "Get Rich with dividends" and let me say...

it's pretty inspiring. I listen to dave ramsey rants sometimes (lol) about how if you're under 40 and don't retire a millionaire you would have to be stupid (Which i kind of agree with) But what is really driving me is a potential dividend portfolio where you could literally live off the dividend (for instance a set of 4-6 stocks that pay out over the course of a year) Is it a bad idea to want to live off the dividend income? not right now but I can imagine building a portfolio that covers expenses and assuming one has no debt anymore, this would be ideal? Then again to accumulate enough shares for the dividend monthly payment to be worth it you would probably need to have 200-250K allocated to each particular stock... what do you guys think, good or bad idea to aim for?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGekkoNCo View Post
it's pretty inspiring. I listen to dave ramsey rants sometimes (lol) about how if you're under 40 and don't retire a millionaire you would have to be stupid (Which i kind of agree with) But what is really driving me is a potential dividend portfolio where you could literally live off the dividend (for instance a set of 4-6 stocks that pay out over the course of a year) Is it a bad idea to want to live off the dividend income? not right now but I can imagine building a portfolio that covers expenses and assuming one has no debt anymore, this would be ideal? Then again to accumulate enough shares for the dividend monthly payment to be worth it you would probably need to have 200-250K allocated to each particular stock... what do you guys think, good or bad idea to aim for?
It is not a bad idea. But if you reach for yield and take on more interest rate risk, you could reduce your capital sharply in a downturn. Also, most companies eventually cut dividends, which then leaves less capital for a replacement. Plus that is far too few stocks.

Investing for total return and with a balanced portfolio is your best bet IMHO.

Some folks differ and swear that spending a 4% dividend is somehow different and "better" than spending a 4 pct capital gain, but that is mental gymnastics.

I'm ok with mental gymnastics if it helps people sleep at night. Just don't reach for yield.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Regardless of the size of your portfolio, you'd be dedicating between 16.7% and 25% of your portfolio to one stock. I'd never be able to sleep with that exposure. I think you can build a nice dividend/interest paying portfolio with a mix of dividend aristocrats, preferred stocks and bonds. No need to put so many eggs in one basket.
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:11 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
It is not a bad idea.

I'm ok with mental gymnastics if it helps people sleep at night. Just don't reach for yield.

I would add you would still have to watch the stocks and company performance. Stocks that have been good reliable dividend payers have stumbled and had to cut or stop dividends. Think GE and Pan Am.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Check how value stocks have performed over time and what concentration risk is. Also understand what a dividend really is. Its not "free" money. It's a forced sale on a regular basis for tax purposes.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired a couple of years ago, and live on dividends and Social Security. It works for me, but I have way more than 6 stocks.
carnivalday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:34 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokrken View Post
Regardless of the size of your portfolio, you'd be dedicating between 16.7% and 25% of your portfolio to one stock. I'd never be able to sleep with that exposure. I think you can build a nice dividend/interest paying portfolio with a mix of dividend aristocrats, preferred stocks and bonds. No need to put so many eggs in one basket.
with the preferred stocks would you be aiming for capital gains throughout the year ? Ideally having 15-25% in one stock does seem a bit absurd no matter what company it is. My first goal for investing was to be able to make enough money off my passive investments (dividend stocks) to be able to live off. I do live as modest but i figure at times I would like to travel which could incur additional expenses. (Save for those trips I figure?) I'm trying to figure out where to start in regards to income in retirement which cover monthly expenses like electric, cell phone, those kind of things and then how to save for bigger expenses like medical care and/or repairs to the house I'd be living at ...that kind of thing.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:35 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
I would add you would still have to watch the stocks and company performance. Stocks that have been good reliable dividend payers have stumbled and had to cut or stop dividends. Think GE and Pan Am.
I would imagine a dividend cut would not be a good signal to the shareholders...so at that point a potential re-allocate of those funds to another stock/instrument?
Old 06-16-2020, 12:36 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I retired a couple of years ago, and live on dividends and Social Security. It works for me, but I have way more than 6 stocks.
I'm thinking SS may not even be around when I hit the "retirement" age... But i want to retire (not work for anyone else) way before that...
Old 06-16-2020, 12:36 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would imagine a dividend cut would not be a good signal to the shareholders...so at that point a potential re-allocate of those funds to another stock/instrument?
Likely though after you have taken a hit on the stock.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:52 PM   #11

DW and I live off the dividends. Many years ago we focused on that strategy and it works for us. The amount of dividends generated in our total investment portfolio is greater than what we live on year to year. We live on 3% and dividends generate about 3.5%. We have way more than a handful of stocks and some are ETF's. Do we sometimes have capital gains and losses? Yes. Our thought is... money is money regardless of how it arrives in our hands - fungible as they say. From the 20,000 ft. perspective we live off the dividends.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:54 PM   #12

I will say what the others are too diplomatic to say: "Living off dividends" is an antiquated notion held mostly by naive investors. It may have been suitable to Dickens characters, but probably not to you.

There are better ways to go about what you want to accomplish. Read and learn.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Dividends from equities are my largest income source. Followed by interest on bonds and coming up last is social security.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 01:28 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP - 6 stocks is far too high a concentration, instead think SCHD ETF
It pays 3.39% dividend, it is made of 98 securities, so if 1 company stops paying a dividend, you won't even notice.

Problem with preferred shares is: they can stop paying dividends, they can disappear just like regular stocks when a company goes bankrupt, they basically never appreciate in price (which is where most stockholders make their money).
Old 06-16-2020, 01:45 PM   #15

I am 61, retired 13 years from a programming career, and have been living off stock dividends. At first I consumed all of the dividends, but since they keep growing 7% or so each year (including the occasional cut) I now have a large cushion.

I agree - do not reach for yield! If you need high yields from low quality companies to make the numbers work you will regret it. My largest holdings are BIP and BEP.

As to whether this is a better strategy than total return, I agree that it is just a matter of what lets you sleep at night. This is what works for me.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:47 PM   #16

Quote:
with the preferred stocks would you be aiming for capital gains throughout the year ?
Not really. You can get some capital gains if you buy at a discount and they get called or mature and if you're really good you can do some flipping like our friend Mulligan. However, for the most part, these are just coupon clippers.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:48 PM   #17

Quote:
By that time, it's too late. If a dividend cut is announced typically the stock plummets.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:51 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Lack of diversification is hazardous to your financial health.

Building a portfolio that concentrates on dividend payers instead of one designed to maximize total return is guaranteed to be financially suboptimal.

Other than those little details, it sounds like a great idea.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:01 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
OP - 6 stocks is far too high a concentration, instead think SCHD ETF
It pays 3.39% dividend, it is made of 98 securities, so if 1 company stops paying a dividend, you won't even notice.
+1
Ditto
I'm in...
https://www.schwab.wallst.com/Prospe...sp?symbol=SCHD

What I realized is that the dividend payers I hold, and the ones I want to hold, are in that ETF.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:18 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

[QUOTE=Onward;2443536]I will say what the others are too diplomatic to say: "Living off dividends" is an antiquated notion held mostly by naive investors. It may have been suitable to Dickens characters, but probably not to you.

There are better ways to go about what you want to accomplish. Read and learn.[/QUOTE]

any suggested reading material?