Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OK since several have asked I will continue to post here market musings when I find items that are interesting to me in the market.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #162

"You assume that the people who study the market full time will produce superior results. But it's all mystique as the dismal record shows."
--Jane Bryant Quinn
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #163
Full time employment: Posting here.

Making predictions is always enjoyable and amusing, I make them myself all the time. Making bets on those predictions with your hard earned money is quite a different thing. Even if you win on black. Do you play black again? Or red? Acting on my predictions, especially in light of my previous success rate, and the success rate of others, is too much stress for me. Rather go out and enjoy watching the last hummingbirds of the season, and anticipate enjoying my next sunrise, hot morning coffee and my future travel adventures.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #164
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
Making predictions is always enjoyable and amusing, I make them myself all the time. Making bets on those predictions with your hard earned money is quite a different thing. Even if you win on black. Do you play black again? Or red? Acting on my predictions, especially in light of my previous success rate, and the success rate of others, is too much stress for me. Rather go out and enjoy watching the last hummingbirds of the season, and anticipate enjoying my next sunrise, hot morning coffee and my future travel adventures.
The hummingbirds have left us already in North Carolina. Now we're stuck watching sunsets, the leaves fall, and the trees change colors. Infinitely more entertaining and infinitely cheaper than making bets on the stock market and trying to jump in and out.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
The hummingbirds have left us already in North Carolina. Now we're stuck watching sunsets, the leaves fall, and the trees change colors. Infinitely more entertaining and infinitely cheaper than making bets on the stock market and trying to jump in and out.
Priorities. That's what I'm talking about. Success in the investment world is way too boring and simple for many of us to understand.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
Making predictions is always enjoyable and amusing, I make them myself all the time.

Does anybody remember Criswell? As I recall he had a TV show called Criswell Predicts.

http://www.criswellpredicts.com

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
"You assume that the people who study the market full time will produce superior results. But it's all mystique as the dismal record shows."
--Jane Bryant Quinn
Glad I always read her Newsweek column when in my 20s. It saved me a lot do dumb moves.

I'm pretty sure the above is in regards to financial advisors.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
+1. Please continue to share your thoughts with us, RunningMan. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on where the markets go from here, after the end of QE and after the election.
My guess is up and down a bunch of times, but up over the long term.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
While I think US stocks are expensive on an absolute basis. On a relative basis they are still cheaper than bonds. If the market does rally past 2000, I'll start buying back in at 2050 to 2100.
I'm curious if you started buying back in today.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:18 PM   #170

I don't think you're the only one. I am "buying back in" tomorrow, unless we open short.

I reduced some (70%) of my assets from old 401k's to vg MM when Running_Man surfaced his sentiments on 2050 at the beginning of this post. I pulled the trigger on an uptick on 1/2 of that (prob diverging, maybe not) from his plan he stated in the post...but I felt it was a great time to buy AAPL at $97 a share when it dipped. I will be buying back in with another 5%...although with the nice gains we had...that 5% is more money today...which is not a bad thing. I will DCA the remaining 30% through the January effect and into the beginning of next year.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
I don't think you're the only one. I am "buying back in" tomorrow, unless we open short.

I reduced some (70%) of my assets from old 401k's to vg MM when Running_Man surfaced his sentiments on 2050 at the beginning of this post. I pulled the trigger on an uptick on 1/2 of that (prob diverging, maybe not) from his plan he stated in the post...but I felt it was a great time to buy AAPL at $97 a share when it dipped. I will be buying back in with another 5%...although with the nice gains we had...that 5% is more money today...which is not a bad thing. I will DCA the remaining 30% through the January effect and into the beginning of next year.
Good call on the AAPL purchase!
Old 11-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Good call on the AAPL purchase!
Thanks, Audrey. But how did you know that we just purchased two new iPhone 6's?
Old 11-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Lol. Everyone will be buying I Anythings this Christmas. Just like the past christmas, and the one before and the one before...

Someone else in the forum actually tipped me on AAPL just in time for the drop...said they buy everytime it gets to $90. I knew it wouldn't go that low again in my life (or at least for a while lol).
Old 11-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
LOL!

DH refuses to take profits on the shares we bought during early 2013, when Apple got "beaten down".

Today it closed above a pre-split price of $800.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #175

Quote:
LOL!

DH refuses to take profits on the shares we bought during early 2013, when Apple got "beaten down".

Today it closed above a pre-split price of $800.
Hey, we bought it at about the same time: I actually bought it for the dividend (and hopefully a growing dividend--which didn't happen). I bought it twice, once with a dividend of 2.5% and then later a 2.7% dividend.

Oh, since we both own this here Apple Corporation, does that mean we're partners? (I think I saw your lips, moving saying "redduck, not a chance in the world we'd ever be partners"). I think I read that correctly. But, I won't take it personally.

Audrey, you need to be kind here--I just noticed this is post 1000 for the redduck.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey, we bought it at about the same time: I actually bought it for the dividend (and hopefully a growing dividend--which didn't happen). I bought it twice, once with a dividend of 2.5% and then later a 2.7% dividend.

Oh, since we both own this here Apple Corporation, does that mean we're partners? (I think I saw your lips, moving saying "redduck, not a chance in the world we'd ever be partners"). I think I read that correctly. But, I won't take it personally.

Audrey, you need to be kind here--I just noticed this is post 1000 for the redduck.
Congrats!

We have more Apple shares from the late 90s.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #177

Quote:
Congrats!

We have more Apple shares from the late 90s.
"All luck," I say, "all luck!"
Old 11-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #178

The market is at an interesting juncture here, if correct on CNBC today they stated that this correction from the low has been the fastest sustained move in the Dow Jones Industrial Average ever, it doesn't seem right to me but I would sure like to know if that is true.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:45 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"All luck," I say, "all luck!"
Completely and entirely!
Old 11-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

I said I get back in if went over 2050. So I guess it is time. Most of the puts I sold back when the market dipped expire 11/22. So I'll start buying again next week.

I went through the dividend investor newsletter and there were only a handful of stock trading below their buy price, and none that I don't own. So I guess I'll buy mostly index funds.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote