Join Early Retirement Today

RICK
Old 10-10-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RICK

i thought all was lost for this stock, but it seems to be turning around. lots of cash, little short term debt and some long term and nice financials overall.
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #2

With these types of businesses I never really trust that people aren't skimming most of the money off the top. I remember following them back when they were losing money and trading for a buck or two a share.

I always felt that in order to be losing money, they had to be stupid or stealing.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #3

i think the CEO went to LSE and the other top management also went to good schools. they opened a club in NYC and i walked by one time after it opened and looked very nice from the outside. not like some of the skanky places i've been to in georgia
Old 10-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #4

I had talked to them long ago about taking them public.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them, but I've known people in the business and there are too many ways to hide money. It has had a heck of a climb!...and fall.
Art G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
but I've known people in the business and there are too many ways to hide money.
Oh my. I can't stop laughing. Sides hurt.

Seriously Art, I think that's the best line I've read on here in a long time.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #6

oh, and I think I'm glad to hear this one doesn't pass your sniff test
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:17 PM   #7

I'm not usually not too concerned with social aspects of an investment, but my knowledge of this particular business and industry would prevent me from touching it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
With these types of businesses I never really trust that people aren't skimming most of the money off the top. I remember following them back when they were losing money and trading for a buck or two a share.
Quote:
Rick's Cabaret Int'l, Inc is currently rated as having Very Aggressive Accounting & Governance Risk (AGRŪ), receiving an AGR Score of 28 out of a possible 100. This places them in the 5th percentile among the approximately 8,000 companies rated by Audit Integrity, indicating higher accounting and governance risk than 95% of the other companies.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Oh my. I can't stop laughing. Sides hurt.

Seriously Art, I think that's the best line I've read on here in a long time.

Ok, perhaps I should have expounded. I know people who OWN the clubs, and it's too heavily a cash business to trust the books.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #9

the skanky clubs are cash, but i've been in at least one sort of high end one and most of it was CC's.

i looked at the SEC paperwork a few years ago on RICK and it mentioned they cater mostly to the business and sports star crowd. i think this will make a short term bottom here in the next week or so and i might get in as wall street puts the bailout money to work
Old 10-15-2008, 09:06 AM   #10

Al, even with credit cards, there are ways to "lose" bottle count and hide money. Again, I had met with them about bringing them public. JMO
Old 10-17-2008, 07:20 AM   #11

I used to go to the Rick's in Minneapolis occassionally. They did a lot of cash business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
the skanky clubs are cash, but i've been in at least one sort of high end one and most of it was CC's.

i looked at the SEC paperwork a few years ago on RICK and it mentioned they cater mostly to the business and sports star crowd. i think this will make a short term bottom here in the next week or so and i might get in as wall street puts the bailout money to work
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
. i think this will make a short term bottom here in the next week or so and i might get in as wall street puts the bailout money to work
I hope Rick's doesn't have a short-term bottom. I always thought having big booty was important in place like RICKs
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:28 PM   #13

some people like the Schindler's List look
Old 03-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #14

nice revenue numbers in the latest quarter, too bad the taxes and permit fees killed the quarter