Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2020, 10:27 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I actually took a serious look into buying Tesla puts yesterday when it topped $960 but they were crazy expensive. It was like $100 for a $900 put that expired in a few days.
Whoever bought those $900 puts are in the money right now and got their $100 back, too.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #142
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I actually took a serious look into buying Tesla puts yesterday when it topped $960 but they were crazy expensive. It was like $100 for a $900 put that expired in a few days.
I didn't even get that far into looking into it, but that's crazy expensive. Apparently we're not the only people who think the valuation is nuts.
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:24 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker View Post
I didn't even get that far into looking into it, but that's crazy expensive. Apparently we're not the only people who think the valuation is nuts.
The Tesla FanBois are still thinking $1,000++++ People now are turning from FOMO to FOLO as price dropped today. It's all based on speculation, plain and simple. Hard to gauge what will or won't happen based on irrational buying.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:45 PM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey Fermion,

I've just gotten lucky with a winning stock, and now I feel like a dog that caught the car...and don't know what to do!

I bought a few shares of PLUG last week and it's gained 42.% I set a stop order at about 5%, so I'll just let it run. Should I buy more shares, or has it gone up too much? Should I wait for it to hit my stop & then buy more?

How do you make these decisions? I sure have a lot to learn!
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:01 PM   #145
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker View Post
Back at $900
kikechico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #146

Any updates? Was thinking about this thread when CNBC was showing all the bio stocks going through the roof due to corona virus.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:28 AM   #147
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Any updates? Was thinking about this thread when CNBC was showing all the bio stocks going through the roof due to corona virus.
Honestly I have been so busy trading in my IRAs and taxable that I have not even touched Robinhood. I am holding 2000 shares of Stemline which are down about a buck, holding some Nektar options expiring in May which are down and I have about $4000 cash in there.

I think the account balance is about $17,000 so it has taken a virus hit.

IF only I had purchased SPY puts in there. I would have hit my $250,000 goal.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:00 AM   #148

Quote:
Honestly I have been so busy trading in my IRAs and taxable that I have not even touched Robinhood. I am holding 2000 shares of Stemline which are down about a buck, holding some Nektar options expiring in May which are down and I have about $4000 cash in there.

I think the account balance is about $17,000 so it has taken a virus hit.

IF only I had purchased SPY puts in there. I would have hit my $250,000 goal.
Almost any puts purchased 2 weeks ago would have worked.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:17 AM   #149

Fermion, any update? I assume you may have made some money with this volatile market.

I have about $2,500 cash in one of my accounts. I may try my luck at this, as well.
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:27 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately (or fortunately, if you look at it from a tax perspective) I did my put buying in my Roth and traditional IRAs so all of the money I made from the crash was not taxable but did not help my poor Robinhood account. For tax reasons I did not try and buy puts in taxable accounts in case I encountered the horrible "Wash sale, you lose the basis" thing.

The Robinhood account is sitting around $13,000, with something like $4,000 in cash and $8500 in 2000 shares of Stemline (STML). I am *pretty* (somewhat, a little, maybe) sure that Stemline will come through this and be in the $7 to $9 range by 2021 but until then I am just going to hunker down on Robinhood.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:52 AM   #151
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokrken View Post
Fermion, any update? I assume you may have made some money with this volatile market.

I have about $2,500 cash in one of my accounts. I may try my luck at this, as well.
I opened up an account yesterday with ETrade yesterday. I'm doing it more as a hobby and if I make a little money with it, thats an added bonus to gaining knowledge. 5k is my investment. I wish I had the skill and knowledge to do quick buy and sell like Fermion. I'm looking at waiting on investment companies to recover.

Considering: Southwest Airlines, IMAX, MGM, Royal Caribbean, and AMC

Is Stemline still a good option?

This is worse than gambling with me, but if I learn more about the market and trading, it was worth the ride.
AlbaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:06 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbaCrush View Post

Is Stemline still a good option?

This is worse than gambling with me, but if I learn more about the market and trading, it was worth the ride.

Stemline is a high risk/high reward small biotech company (nano really). They do have an approved and marketed drug, which is quite unusual for these little bios but it has a small market. I am hopeful though that this will be expanded to other indications plus it is nice that they have shown they can get a drug through all of the phases, which is not an easy thing to do these days.

I would not recommend Stemline for money you cannot afford to lose. It is one of those "could go to zero, could go to $30" stocks.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:11 AM   #153

Quote:

I would not recommend Stemline for money you cannot afford to lose. It is one of those "could go to zero, could go to $30" stocks.

Where does Stemline get their operating capital from? Their historical cash balances do not indicate that they are still working down their equity raise and they are not generating enough from the one drug to fund their R&D.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:15 AM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Where does Stemline get their operating capital from? Their historical cash balances do not indicate that they are still working down their equity raise and they are not generating enough from the one drug to fund their R&D.
They did a raise August 2019 at $15.25 for some 75 million.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:17 AM   #155

Shouldn't the title of this thread be changed to Robin Hood Race From $250,000 to $2500 in light of current events?
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:20 AM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
Shouldn't the title of this thread be changed to Robin Hood Race From $250,000 to $2500 in light of current events?
Seriously.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:51 AM   #157
Give me a forum ...

A little excitement this morning in Stemline...it is up 16% as I type.

I can't find any news at all.

Man I could really use another Endocyte right now...it would bring me out of the dumps.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:09 AM   #158

Quote:
A little excitement this morning in Stemline...it is up 16% as I type.

I can't find any news at all.

Man I could really use another Endocyte right now...it would bring me out of the dumps.
Full disclosure: I bought a bunch of STML on Friday at $4.30. Better to be lucky than good.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:18 AM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Full disclosure: I bought a bunch of STML on Friday at $4.30. Better to be lucky than good.
I'd tell you to sell some now for a $0.70 per share profit but don't blame me if there is buyout news and it goes to $15 this week.

Still, congrats on the purchase!
Old 03-30-2020, 09:32 AM   #160

Quote:
I'd tell you to sell some now for a $0.70 per share profit but don't blame me if there is buyout news and it goes to $15 this week.

Still, congrats on the purchase!
I appreciate that and I also considered it. But, I didn't buy it for a $0.70 gain. It's some of my play money, so looking for a home run on this one. So, I'll sit tight.