Join Early Retirement Today

ROTH investments
Old 02-12-2020, 04:47 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

ROTH investments

This is a *real* question, and not an attempt to get everyone riled up. .

I am 63, and figure I have at least 15 years before I might want to tap into my Roth accounts. Since their growth will also be tax-free, any “home run” would be especially welcome.

While recognizing the other prime rule of investing: don’t lose money, I have some of my Roth investments in the Fidelity Blue Chip Growth fund. That way, I get a piece of the current and, I hope, future tech giants. If the “blue chip” part is correct, the fund will try and make sure that their picks stay somewhat sane.

But I also have some (Roth) in the Fidelity Biotech Select fund. I have owned it in IRA accounts for many years, and it is up about 148%... but I am betting that there are things that will still come about that could blow away even the boom years of the Internet. And even the normal picks of hot biotech startups should still perform very well over the longer haul.

Does anyone else think this is reasonable?

Bood
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2020, 05:20 PM   #2

I would call it reasonable, as long as you recognize (you probably do) that biotechs are a special breed of cat. Most go belly up, but a few hit it way out of the ballpark. If you're comfortable with that, and you keep your allocation to it at a level that lets you sleep at night, I say go for it.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:57 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

“Do you think that by choosing a portfolio of only a few stocks that you hope will score big, you are maximizing your chances of becoming wealthy?

“Indeed you are, but you are also maximizing the chances of a retirement of cat food cuisine”

– William Bernstein

Sector bets are like that. See also the Callan quilt charts (https://www.callan.com/periodic-table/).
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:05 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

It is .009 % of my Fidelity accounts. For the life of FBIOX, it had returned 13%... I am not recommending sector funds in general... I am more Boglehead. I still assert that the normal progress of technology, and biotechnology in particular, has the biggest potential as they unlock stem cells and find new cures for existing diseases.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:41 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I take some gambles with my tiny Roth, put it all in Google back in 2012.

I was in fbiox for a while and it didn't seem to want to move. I've really cut back on my sidebets. I still have the Google position and too much Apple@$76. Not sure how many I'll continue to make.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:26 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoodaGazelle View Post
It is .009 % of my Fidelity accounts....
Are you sure? That would be a whopping $90 on a $1 million portfolio.

1,000,000 * .009/100 = 90

So why are you posting about it?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:03 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt. --------William Shakespeare

Investing is not supposed to be easy. Anyone who finds it easy is stupid.
-----------------Charlie Munger
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biotech, roth ira