Join Early Retirement Today

Safe Haven Investing
Old 06-18-2020, 02:59 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Safe Haven Investing

Iím working through the Save Haven Series by Mark Spitznagel
Universa Investments | Risk Mitigation
There will be a book by him available by 05/2021 covering this topic more extensively.
Since I donít want to wait until then to consider his notions for my strategy Iíd like to know if anybody has implemented them (concretely) and how he/she has fared meanwhile?

Oliver

LayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you talking "Safe haven" as in off shore investing? If you are I'd run very far and fast from this unless you are prepared to lawyer-up. There's always someone that thinks they figured out to avoid taxes and reporting. It doesn't end well. There are plenty of strategies that can minimize a tax bill.

As it's been said, tax avoidance is legal, tax evasion is criminal.

pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #3

Nope, I’m referring to the investment strategy by Mark Spitznagel a buddy of Nassim Taleb. He compares 3 strategies of which, according to him, the 97% SPX + 3% Insurance is superior to 90% SPX + 10% Alpha or 90% SPX + 10 % Store-of-Value.
Yet, I’m not familiar with the term ‘Insurance’ in the context of investing into it. Could this be an Insurance ETF or what else?
Old 06-19-2020, 10:51 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a Physics and Engineering background and I tried and failed to make sense of the linked articles. I have no idea what his strategy is and the articles are so littered with nonsense and outright errors that I really didn't try to dig it out. He writes like a parody of Nassim Taleb.

Interestingly, Neither Mark Spitznagel nor Universa Investments L.P. show up as active at at https://brokercheck.finra.org. Spitznagel doesn't show up at all. "Universa Investments L.P." appears as a previous employer for two guys, both of whom separated from in in 1985 and left the business. They were at Universa for one year, which comprises the totality of their investment advisory experience.

Universa is appears to be listed with the SEC as "previously registered": "Previously Registered indicates the firm or individual is not currently licensed to act as a broker (buying and selling securities on behalf of customers) or as an investment adviser (providing advice about securities to clients)." (https://adviserinfo.sec.gov/firm/summary/146052)

There is (sort of) a current form ADV. https://reports.adviserinfo.sec.gov/...PDF/146052.pdf Very hard to read, though. Page 119 lists some people, but most of their claimed broker numbers don't come up on brokercheck or come up as "previously registered." The COO Brandon Yarckin's credentials include a $50,000 fine and censure by the AMEX.

So, then, the mystery is that Taleb is involved with this firm: https://nassimtaleb.org/2020/05/hist...a-investments/So I dunno what to think, since I am a Taleb fan.

OP, I suggest that your read Taleb's "Antifragile."
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:08 AM   #5

Yes, I'm also a big Taleb fan.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:15 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayC View Post
Yes, I'm also a big Taleb fan.
I'd encourage you to download and at least skim that 125 page ADV. If it weren't for the Taleb connection I would conclude that this guy is a huckster. Taleb's name is not mentioned.

OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safe haven, safe haven investment, spitznagel