Join Early Retirement Today

Schwab Announces Zero Commission Stock Trades--E*Trade and TD Ameritrade Tanking
Old 10-01-2019, 08:32 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Schwab Announces Zero Commission Stock Trades--E*Trade and TD Ameritrade Tanking

Charles Schwab is ending commissions on stock trading and the brokerage shares are tanking.

* Starting on October 7, Charles Schwab will be slashing its online trading commissions for U.S. stocks, ETFs and options from the previous $4.95 to zero.

* Shares of Schwab fell 7% in response to the move. Competitor TD Ameritrade lost 20%, its worst day since 2006.

* Stock trades previously cost $4.95 on the Schwab platform.

Charles Schwab said on Tuesday that it is ending commissions for online trading in U.S. stocks, exchange-traded funds and options, the culmination of a years-long fee battle in the brokerage industry.

Shares of Schwab fell nearly 8% on fears the change will hit margins. The broker said commissions fees make up 3% to 4% of net revenue each quarter. Rival brokerage firm TD Ameritrade plummeted more than 20% for its worst day in 13 years. E-Trade shares cratered more than 18%, on pace for its worst day since 2009.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/01/char...-and-etfs.html

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My free trades are worthless now!
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:39 AM   #3

This is actually a good move. They will grab those remaining clients from full commission brokers and other discount brokers. AUM should go up in the long run.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:15 AM   #4

I remember that within hours of Fidelity lowering commissions to $4.95, Schwab matched it. I wonder if Fidelity will match this.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:58 AM   #5

It just gets better and better with Schwab. I do wonder though how long Schwab will be able to maintain the no cost trading structure. I also wonder how Fidelity and E trade will react. Maybe Fidelity will take a wait and see approach or maybe they match Schwab. It will be interesting to see what happens.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:55 PM   #6

TD Ameritrade, AMTD, is down 25%.
E*Trade, ETFC, is down 16%.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #7

Anybody think AMTD is a buying opportunity?

Old 10-01-2019, 01:39 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

SCHW is down 10% for comparison. I'd think about this overnight. Schwab can recover from this, but Ameritrade may have much more difficult time. From what I read...
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:47 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Surprisingly, Schwab said that trade commissions only made up 7% of its revenue.

I have not made many trades on my Schwab accounts in recent years, preferring to use the free trades on my Merrill Edge accounts. I may move more money back to Schwab, as I like their service better.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:18 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm very happy with this. I recently started a Charles Schwab account in anticipation of needing it if I decide to retire early and do some expat slow traveling to lover my living expenses.

Schwab debit cards dont have any transactions fees, including international. My research on expating is a lot of FIRE expats use Schwab for this feature.

I'm torn weather I should move everything to Schwab or keep some assets at Vanguard just to spread things out. I have a bank account with Schwab. So I can automatically send my dividends and capital gains to Schwab checking that way from my Vanguard mutual funds.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:33 PM   #11

Where do they make their money from? no wonder they
don't have an automatic sweep that pays a decent rate...

https://www.wallstreetphysician.com/...o-index-funds/

Revenue Source at Schwab
Amount ...............(millions)...... Percentage
Net Interest Income.. 4,282...... 50%
Mutual fund and ETF
service fees...... 2,045...... 24%
Advice Solutions....... 1043. 12%
Commissions...... 600... 7%
Other............... 648.... 7%

"In plain English, they take customer deposits (most often cash) and invest it. Essentially, they are using the uninvested cash sitting in your account earning minimal interest and investing it at a higher interest rate to make money."
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:25 PM   #12

There's all sorts of alternate investing brokerages can do with your money. Your account statement might say your invested in a certain stock, but that's only on paper.

Given they're already shaky, ETFC is probably the biggest loser here.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:48 PM   #13

Schwab has been my favorite brokerage for 20 years. Cutting trade
commissions will have next to no effect on my opinion, or might even be a
negative if there are adjustments in services to defray the lost revenue. Last
calendar year I paid 3 trade commissions- ~$15, 3 trades of VXUS. Schwab
already had a useful list of free trade ETFs and funds.

Next market recession is going to see some consolidation among brokerages.
Buyouts or shotgun weddings. Schwab is positioning itself to be one of
the survivors, or at least an attractive takeover.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:46 PM   #14

TD Ameritrade has announced it will also reduce commissions to zero starting Thursday.

Options will be charged at $0.65 per contract, same as Schwab. Option assignments and exercises will be zero commissions as well.

E*Trade will now be in a very difficult position if it does not follow suit.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:22 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Is the zero commission for only market orders? While computerized trades should cost very little, there is still some cost involved that must be covered.
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:06 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

It's about time for negative commissions. I trade, you pay me. I can buy negative yielding bonds and get paid to do it!!
upset264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:25 AM   #17

Since I rarely pay commissions I'm sticking with Fido and VG. As pointed out above they're going to make money off you one way or another.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:33 AM   #18

I'm with TD Ameritrade, and when I logged in to my online brokerage this morning, I saw the following blurb...

"$0 commissions coming soon
Starting Thursday: $0 commissions on online stock, ETF, and options trades. Enjoy cutting-edge technology and award-winning investor education and service teams, with commission-free trading. Details

*Applies to exchange-listed U.S. stock, domestic and Canadian ETF, and options trades. $.65 per options contract fee applies, with no exercise or assignment fees. #1 Overall Broker, #1 in Education, and #1 in Customer Service in the StockBrokers.com 2019 Online Broker Review."

So, it looks like they're joining the party.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:44 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
There's all sorts of alternate investing brokerages can do with your money. Your account statement might say your invested in a certain stock, but that's only on paper.
Are you saying that brokerage houses do not physically buy a stock for you but take the money and invest it elsewhere? Your 'stock holding' is essentially an IOU? Is this true?

Is this so everywhere? Vanguard, Fidelity, TRowe? Just stocks or MFs as well?

Is this how it really works? Shouldn't there be a piece of paper somewhere that says I own X shares of XYZ so that if the brokerage fails, I still own that stock?
Old 10-02-2019, 08:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Are you saying that brokerage houses do not physically buy a stock for you but take the money and invest it elsewhere? Your 'stock holding' is essentially an IOU? Is this true?

Is this so everywhere? Vanguard, Fidelity, TRowe? Just stocks or MFs as well?

Is this how it really works? Shouldn't there be a piece of paper somewhere that says I own X shares of XYZ so that if the brokerage fails, I still own that stock?
That would be your brokerage statement. This link may be helpful:

https://www.finra.org/investors/aler...oses-its-doors

Quote:
In virtually all cases, when a brokerage firm ceases to operate, customer assets are safe and typically are transferred in an orderly fashion to another registered brokerage firm. Multiple layers of protection safeguard investor assets. For example, registered brokerage firms must keep their customers' securities and cash segregated from their own so that, even if a firm fails, its customers' assets will be safe. Brokerage firms are also required to meet minimum net capital requirements to reduce the likelihood of insolvency, and to be members of the Securities Investor Protection Corp (SIPC), which protects customer securities accounts up to $500,000. SIPC protection comes into play in those rare cases of firm failure where customer assets are missing because of theft or fraud.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote