Sears is now a penny stock

Bad management.

Old management.

Really dumb management.

A terrible shame, but predicable.

Sears stock is wallpaper. And J.C. Penny stock is going to also be wallpaper, unfortunately.
I hope GE doesn't follow them. If they do, I'm going to have a lot of wallpaper.

Sears sold cars too! Very early on (early 1900s) they sold cars and did so until about 1952 when they were selling the Allstate which was a Kaiser Henry J.

Sears usually goes to great lengths to hide the origin of proprietary products -- those built by some other famous company but wearing a Sears brand. But there was no disguising the origins of the Allstate. It was, of course, the Sears version of Kaiser-Frazer's compact Henry J.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/1952-1953-allstate.htm

As a kid, I lusted over the bicycles and motorcycles / scooters that Sears and Wards sold. In retrospect, the motorized ones were probably Italian imports. No idea who make the bicycles.

I did not grow up in the US, and we still had a couple of Sears catalogs somehow. Of course we could not order anything from them, but just to look at all the wonderful things shown.

PS. Later, also had Allied catalogs of electronic stuff.

Just announced that our local Sears store is on the latest closing list. Will be gone as of Feb 2019. I hate to see them go but have to admit......I rarely ever go there. I can count on one hand the number of times I have been in the store over the last 10 years.

......I rarely ever go there. I can count on one hand the number of times I have been in the store over the last 10 years.

On a recent RV trip we went to a mall on a rainy day to walk for a while. Out of curiosity I walked into the large Sears store anchoring one end of the mall and was immediately struck by the fact there was absolutely no one there - Twilight Zone moment. I had to walk half way round the store and into the tool section before I saw another human being. I counted a total of 4 people in the huge store, including me, and two of those were employees.

Just announced that our local Sears store is on the latest closing list. Will be gone as of Feb 2019. I hate to see them go but have to admit......I rarely ever go there. I can count on one hand the number of times I have been in the store over the last 10 years.

Ditto.

Our local mall will lose Sears, one of its four "anchor" stores, opened 1975, in the February 2019 closure.

On a recent RV trip we went to a mall on a rainy day to walk for a while. Out of curiosity I walked into the large Sears store anchoring one end of the mall and was immediately struck by the fact there was absolutely no one there - Twilight Zone moment. I had to walk half way round the store and into the tool section before I saw another human being. I counted a total of 4 people in the huge store, including me, and two of those were employees.

It's a shame. When I was a kid it was the store my parents shopped. My dad for tools, car batteries and lawn equipment. My mother for clothes, bedding, etc etc. Too many options via the internet and stores like Home Depot/Lowes. Perhaps they should become a little more specialized along the way instead of trying to sell a little of everything.

I hope GE doesn't follow them. If they do, I'm going to have a lot of wallpaper.

GE is a whole different story. They went down pretty fast. They are still a powerhouse in gas turbines and medical devices. If they get bought out by private capital, lookout!

GE is a whole different story. They went down pretty fast. They are still a powerhouse in gas turbines and medical devices. If they get bought out by private capital, lookout!

GE is suffering under $263 Billion in liabilities;

It now is buckling under $263 billion in liabilities, not counting any off-balance-sheet liabilities. Its accounting is being scrutinized by federal authorities, GE disclosed. And there are fears that some unknown unknowns might emerge. GE has been shedding divisions and assets to shrink itself to health, and as it is dismantling itself, there are fewer business units available to generate cashflow to pay for this debt.

Have a scary read:

https://wolfstreet.com/2018/11/09/ge-plunges-what-retail-investors-did-with-general-electric/

might make an interesting decor for your home office ... would it add value to the house at sale time :confused:

i had one of these certificates framed ( i inherited them ) and hung in my office to reming me not to be excessively greedy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poseidon_bubble

THERE IS ALWAYS RISK IN INVESTING ( some more than others )

Well, we bought a nice washer and dryer (not Kemore) from them in 2011 I think. They delivered, installed. It was a good deal. But I guess that was it!

Back
Top Bottom