Join Early Retirement Today

Sell Cryptos or TSLA?
Old 08-19-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sell Cryptos or TSLA?

I'm buying a new home soon and while it will be a little more expensive than my current it's main purpose is to relocate. So not a major new cost.

Looking at my assets and wondering what to sell I can see that both my crypto coins (mostly BTC) and my TSLA shares have done much better than my index funds.

So which one should I sell down? AKA which one have the greatest potential future and should be kept?

I have some thoughts but would like to hear what you think?
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2020, 11:47 AM   #2

If you're not sure, why not sell some of each?
Old 08-19-2020, 12:10 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sell all of both.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:37 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Sell all of both.
+1
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:22 PM   #5

Might sell all of my cryptos. But not all of TSLA. That would be much more than I need. And TSLA isn't halfway there in the long run.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
If you're not sure, why not sell some of each?

Probably what I will end up doing.

My logic is while TSLA is up a lot it will continue up in the long run.

Crypto is the wild card. My very modest investment has turned into a 20-bagger.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:30 PM   #7

I always like diversifying so I'd sell some of each. Keep your investments spread out!
Old 08-19-2020, 03:54 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
... My logic is while TSLA is up a lot it will continue up in the long run. ...
Really? Did your crystal ball tell you that?

Seriously, I hope TSLA and Bitcoin are not a significant portion of your assets. William Bernstein's caution applies:
“Do you think that by choosing a portfolio of only a few stocks that you hope will score big, you are maximizing your chances of becoming wealthy? Indeed you are, but you are also maximizing the chances of a retirement of cat food cuisine”
If you're just playing around with a few percent of your assets, have at it and enjoy.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:19 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

TSLA is due to split soon.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:21 PM   #10

Congratulations on the $ you have made in these investments.

If you would have listened to a couple of posters above, you never would have made the profits you did.

Keep up the good work.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:43 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgstaley View Post
One gets you five the end of the month.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:45 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'd sell more bits than T. The best is yet to come in T. You have two or more big movers in the stock over the next couple quarters.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:42 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgstaley View Post

What do you think the significance of this would be?
It’s smoke and mirrors IMO but it does seem to attract buyers.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:56 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
What do you think the significance of this would be?
It’s smoke and mirrors IMO but it does seem to attract buyers.
++

Look at the recent action in both Tesla and Apple after the split announcement. Given the availability of fractional shares to trade it makes no sense to me, but I can't deny it.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:19 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Since rates are so low, consider selling neither, perhaps. The potential for Tesla from now on is so strong, I wouldn't consider selling any of it now or in the coming years unless I had to. I own Tesla and this stock could make you a millionaire in the next ten years. I have no opinion on bitcoin because I have no knowledge of it.
Blue531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:46 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Unlike the thread by Aaron asking about how to replace the start capacitor in his AC, a question on trading a controversial asset like bitcoin or a stock like Tesla is not going to yield a happy outcome.

People either hate these or love them. Responders will either tell you to not push your luck and to get rid of them, or tell you to buy more.

It's better to toss a coin twice. The first toss is on whether to sell/hold bitcoin. The second for Tesla.

Hmm... How do we get a ternary coin for a sell/hold/buy decision?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue531 View Post
Since rates are so low, consider selling neither, perhaps. The potential for Tesla from now on is so strong, I wouldn't consider selling any of it now or in the coming years unless I had to. I own Tesla and this stock could make you a millionaire in the next ten years. I have no opinion on bitcoin because I have no knowledge of it.
The markets are so out of whack these days this is a common thought. But yes, Tesla the company has lots of potential. However, Tesla the stock is way, way, way ahead of itself. I really do not see very much which would indicate the shares should be worth 9 times more today than just one year ago.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
++

Look at the recent action in both Tesla and Apple after the split announcement. Given the availability of fractional shares to trade it makes no sense to me, but I can't deny it.

Many cannot buy fractional shares. It's mostly an US thing. And not all US brokers offers those either. So this will help retail investors buy a little TSLA each month. Which is what I did until I could no longer afford a share each month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Really? Did your crystal ball tell you that?

No crystal ball. But it's a growing company. And their energy play seems solid. So it will probably grow some more. The world energy market is a pretty large market. so even a small part of that is huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Unlike the thread by Aaron asking about how to replace the start capacitor in his AC, a question on trading a controversial asset like bitcoin or a stock like Tesla is not going to yield a happy outcome.

People either hate these or love them. Responders will either tell you to not push your luck and to get rid of them, or tell you to buy more.

It's better to toss a coin twice. The first toss is on whether to sell/hold bitcoin. The second for Tesla.

Hmm... How do we get a ternary coin for a sell/hold/buy decision?

My skin is pretty thick. So I appreciate the input I am getting. Or you could try throwing a dice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
The markets are so out of whack these days this is a common thought. But yes, Tesla the company has lots of potential. However, Tesla the stock is way, way, way ahead of itself. I really do not see very much which would indicate the shares should be worth 9 times more today than just one year ago.
Well I do. But then Bitcoin has been nice too. And much more difficult to predict. So I still haven't made up my mind.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Well I do.
And at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

You asked for opinions, and you're getting them, so don't take them personally.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:25 AM   #20

Which to sell? Consider the goals for buying each in the first place. Whichever feels like it has less potential to continue to progress those goals would be the one I sell.
For example, I would only buy either of those assets as a pure fun gamble with hopes of "getting rich quick". Haven't watched Crypto but do watch Tesla. If I owned Tesla, I'd be thrilled with the game so far and probably sell off my initial investment so I was playing with winnings only and not feel a loss if the evaluation fell to less insane levels.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote