Should SPIAs be part of your AA?

There's another way to look at it. Instead of the spia covering necessities, you could buy it to cover non essentials like travel etc. This will decrease as we age unfortunately so any inflation hit will likely be mitigated by our inability to enjoy those things due to age. Yes after 30 years your travel/eating out/fun budget is 50% less but at that age I'm definitely going to be limited in my ability to partake anyway if I'm even alive.

If you buy it as part of your bond allocation you'll get a 6-7% payout that also allows you to spend more early in retirement versus other fixed income returns. Yes I know, you're getting your own money back.

That's an interesting take as well. On the Bogleheads VPW thread and model, they advocate buying a SPIA at age 80 as a floor, i.e., to cover the essentials forward. Based on your idea, it really is a timing thing, i.e. when would you really need it. In the VPW model, you delay purchasing the SPIA so that you have a good 15-20 years of frankly higher variable withdrawals when you are most probably able to 'use' it.

One could also think of any pension, and especially a COLA adjusted one, as a SPIA of sort. Any pension takes quite a bit of pressure of the requirement of the portfolio to perform well. As I've been calculating what I could spend in my soon sort of early retirement, I've realized that my pensions and SS will allow me to have a much larger spending ability cushion over my truly necessary lifestyle costs.

As a tweener (born at end of Boomer/beginning of Gen Z), I've had to adjust quite a bit to the changing expectations for retirement funding: defined benefit pension, defined contribution plan, no plan-fund yourself. Fortunately I have elements of all of those in my retirement scenario. When I was transiting through my work-life, I tended to not pay attention to the pension part of it thinking I had to go the 'no-plan-fund yourself' route. In retrospect, I am very fortunate - but didn't realize it. However, if I did have to rely 100% on the 'no-plan-fund yourself' route, I would probably look at the SPIA for covering basic life costs combined with SS - the 75% of projected version - and then the rest would be invested for non-essentials.

As many have said on this thread, these are complex situations with time dependent variables that call for more complex risk management strategies. To each his own. In general, I would say once you've figured out your risk tolerance, try to find the least inexpensive way of covering that.

Back
Top Bottom