Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Silicon Valley Bank SIVB - $270 to $30 in 48 hours
Old 03-10-2023, 07:15 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Silicon Valley Bank SIVB - $270 to $30 in 48 hours

Train wreck weighing on the banking sector.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2023, 08:15 AM   #2

It was $727 in November 2021.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 08:30 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm expecting Yellen to come out now and tell us again how well capitalized and healthy the banking sector is these days.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:36 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm expecting Yellen to come out now and tell us again how well capitalized and healthy the banking sector is these days.
Now that would be scary. Or worse, what if she and Powell (and maybe Dimon) all got together to tell us how healthy and well functioning the financial system is.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:42 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The investments I inherited from Dad in late 2021 included about $2,000 of Pac West Bankcorp. I held onto it. Oops. I imagine Dad bought it because a nephew worked there and he had a good impression of the company. (Yes, we are aware of the illegality of trading on inside information and are scrupulous about not communicating anything in that category.)

Glad I didn't buy more.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:26 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The big banks are very well capitalized...

I am sure there will be some regional or small banks that will go under, there always are when there is financial stress occurs, but back in 2008 it was the big ones that were the problem... they can handle the small ones...

https://www.fdic.gov/bank/historical/bank/
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:26 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow, the ride in some bank stocks and preferreds are nothing short of amazing. I guess this is when you either pick up some much cheaper than yesterday shares or hold off believing this is the canary in the coal mine and sit back and watch.

For instance First Republic Bank FRC closed yesterday at 96.01, quickly dropped today to $46 and now stands at $90. Crazy. I hope somebody is making money with this craziness.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11522914 View Post
Wow, the ride in some bank stocks and preferreds are nothing short of amazing. I guess this is when you either pick up some much cheaper than yesterday shares or hold off believing this is the canary in the coal mine and sit back and watch.

For instance First Republic Bank FRC closed yesterday at 96.01, quickly dropped today to $46 and now stands at $90. Crazy. I hope somebody is making money with this craziness.
Yes - you want to stay away from SIVB and similar, and pick up the strong ones that are being taken for a ride lower today for no other reason.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:52 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/10/sili...-deposits.html

Silicon Valley Bank is shut down by regulators, FDIC to protect insured deposits

And we haven't even started seeing the side effects of CMBS (commercial MBS) getting stressed all over US. Would be wary of banks that hold CMBS on their books.
yhoomajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 10:40 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhoomajor View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/10/sili...-deposits.html

Silicon Valley Bank is shut down by regulators, FDIC to protect insured deposits
And this is why it is important to stay within the $250k per depositor FDIC limits
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 10:44 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Retyre View Post
And this is why it is important to stay within the $250k per depositor FDIC limits

Just an FYI, there are very few banks that all deposits are not covered... even over $250K... it might take you awhile to get it back but you usually do...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 10:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Just an FYI, there are very few banks that all deposits are not covered... even over $250K... it might take you awhile to get it back but you usually do...

Where does the cover over 250 come from?
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:38 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

To be fair, this is nothing like the subprime fiasco. SIVB's trouble stems from the loss of value of its long bonds. Yeah, how can you go wrong holding US Treasuries? It's solid, like the rock of Gibraltar. Right!

The problem with institutional investors is that they cannot deny reality like individual investors and say "You don't lose until you sell". Nope, they have to sell to meet obligations.

And for individual investors, the unrealized loss does not go away. It sits there on your portfolio, even if you try not to look at it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:45 AM   #14

Lots of problems for the small and medium businesses in California that banked with SIVB and can't make payroll today... The ripples will be substantial. The under $250k folks can line up on Monday and get their money out. Guessing the losses for some companies that are well over the limit will force them into bankruptcy.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:56 AM   #15
Administrator

According to its 3Q results (here) most of the customer deposits were in demand deposits, while most of the assets were in “hold to maturity” fixed income. A much smaller share was in loans and “available for sale” securities. They were unprepared for a run. This is not a capitalization issue, it’s a mismatch between assets and liabilities.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:58 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
To be fair, this is nothing like the subprime fiasco. SIVB's trouble stems from the loss of value of its long bonds. Yeah, how can you go wrong holding US Treasuries? It's solid, like the rock of Gibraltar. Right!

The problem with institutional investors is that they cannot deny reality like individual investors and say "You don't lose until you sell". Nope, they have to sell to meet obligations.

And for individual investors, the unrealized loss does not go away. It sits there on your portfolio, even if you try not to look at it.
yep.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 12:00 PM   #17

It’s really a simple bank run issue. If the deposits stayed there the assets could theoretically mature and pay off the depositors.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 12:49 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

FT has a very good analysis of the situation at SVB:

https://www.ft.com/content/7cf4eb45-...4-1f0b082ba203

Quote:
SVB is not a canary in the banking coal mine

.. First, few other banks have as high a proportion of business deposits as SVB, so their funding costs won’t rise as quickly. At Fifth Third, a typical regional bank, deposit costs only hit 1.05 per cent in the fourth quarter. At gigantic Bank of America, the figure was 0.96 per cent

Second, few other banks have as much of their assets locked up in fixed-rate securities as SVB, rather than in floating-rate loans. Securities are 56 per cent of SVB’s assets. At Fifth Third, the figure is 25 per cent; at Bank of America, it is 28 per cent.
Bottom line, SVB had a very large percentage of corporate customers who are very sensitive to interest rate hikes and want the best return on their deposits compared to say, a retail investor. That and the threat of solvency caused a run on the bank and SVB was done.
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 12:53 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

That’s exactly what she should be doing….assuming it is true, of course. Everything I’m hearing says SIVB is not representative of the banking sector. The tiny regional I own is down 2% today.
Old 03-10-2023, 12:53 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
It’s really a simple bank run issue.
Gee, I hope we don't start having bank runs on many other banks too! I don't expect it, but always looking for worst case scenario.

I have some cash at my bricks & mortar bank, and other cash at a Vanguard MM fund. But, I haven't put any significant amount under my mattress, in mason jars in the kitchen cabinets, or buried in ammo boxes in the back yard.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote