Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I think the best time to buy GE would be right after the dividend cut. Reading Immelt's comments it seems to be a matter of "when", not "if", and right now they can't afford any surprises or anything less than flawless execution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
So typical of your posts, ladelfina - heavy on the name-calling and light on the analysis.
... and perhaps on your "Ignore Poster" list as well. No need to be critical of posts that lack analysis-- nothing there to be critical of.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2009, 01:33 AM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets

Me, I buy every month as I'm in the S&SP and have watched my little nest egg go down down down. But I'm trying to look on the bright side that I'm buying more stock for my money. I used to get about 25 stocks a month, now I get about 85 a month. Hopefully by the time I retire in 8 or 9 years the stocks will be up at a reasonable price.
SinCityGrrrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

GE hits the price of a venti caramel machiatto and i might buy some
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
GE hits the price of a venti caramel machiatto and i might buy some
Per share or for the entire company?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #25

most times i'd say per share, but the stories i'm reading about eastern europe and other developing nations are pretty bad
Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #26

GE's CFO was on CNBC this morning. He painted a rosy picture to say the least.

Highlights were that GE Capital was going to show a profit for Q1, that by reducing the dividend they will save an amount equal to a significant portion of any shortfall they have in GE Capital, and that mark-to-market doesn't really hurt them because they will hang on to the loans they own and they expect the greatest majority of them to be paid off. They did discuss exposure to Eastern Europe but I forgot the specifics. They have some mark-to-market exposure but it's just a small percentage of the total.

One of the hosts asked about analysts ratings and target pricing and he said that he felt it was inaccurate, but that he understood the analysts were under pressure to not raise their guidance easily. The host responded that he had heard from an analyst that GE shares were easily worth $12, but he was not getting any support from his firm for raising his price target.

The CFO said that he felt the biggest drag on share price was a failure on GE's part to provide clarity to what was going on. They're going through their own version of a stress test and the results will be published as part of a GE Capital meeting in the next couple of weeks. He said that if they have to do this every quarter or even every month they might do it because they think once you "dive deep" into the numbers you will see that GE's problems have been overstated and exaggerated.

I think some of it may be true, but I guess we'll have to wait until we see the results of the stress test. A lot of it is probably because they have caught a lot of heat from shareholders over the dividend cut. Plus, I would think it makes sense to try and get ahead of what will no doubt be a downgrade on their paper which is widely anticipated.

Disclosure: I own GE shares but am not planning on selling. Edit: Well, much of my taxable portfolio, including GE, is a potential sale based on the capital gains tax increase that the administration is looking for. Not a lot of capital gains left in that position though!
Old 03-05-2009, 01:56 PM   #27

on Fast Money, the lady who is the hedge fund owner said no one knows the picture because no one knows what their loss provisions are