Join Early Retirement Today

Solar & Alternative Energy ETFs
Old 01-27-2021, 12:08 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Solar & Alternative Energy ETFs

After the Covid-19 crash last Spring I began looking around at other options besides VTI "whole market" type funds that I had most of my investment in.

I remembered reading about TAN in Kiplinger saying it had gained about 76% the past year, which at the time I had mixed feelings about. I thought it "must be really risky", and I also thought "damn some lucky folks made a killing". I figured I'd missed out, and hindsight isn't worth much.

Anyway, the crash hit & I noticed TAN had fallen to about $25 per share. I wanted to buy, but was afraid of the "W" curve that never came. Covid-19 was still huge & Summer came and I just kept watching it go up & up.

Finally pulled the trigger in early August, buying my first shares on 8/05 for $50.83, and have bought 5 more times since. It's up 131% since 8/05. (it's up over 300% since I began following it in April )

I recently realized that Invesco has another solar ETF called PBW which has had similar gains. I started buying it on 12/09 and it's already up almost 42% today 1/26.

I'm curious if any of you have these ETFs or other alternative energy EFTs? I realize that it's a sector and not diversified, but it's hard to see any other sector that we'll be embracing any more than clean energy for quite a while.
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2021, 07:54 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been playing with ICLN.

https://www.ishares.com/us/products/...ean-energy-etf
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:03 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm into TAN. I've had DQ (#7 holding in TAN) on my watchlist for months. I put an order in for it at $40 back in December, didn't get it. Now it's up to over $100.

I've also got ICLN, FAN, and NEXTX on my watchlists.

I bought OPTT at $2.90 and sold it a few weeks later at $4.25. This is an individual stock that generates electricity from ocean waves.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:15 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

ICLN is the one I decided on for me...entered not too long after November's election.
John0019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:33 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John0019 View Post
ICLN is the one I decided on for me...entered not too long after November's election.
I picked up some in December. Been writing covered calls on it. Nice premiums.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:46 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I picked up some in December. Been writing covered calls on it. Nice premiums.
Thanks I'll check those out too. I like using covered calls to create synthetic dividends.
John0019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:20 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Green energy's getting blamed for the problems in TX. This morning was a good time to buy Solar funds. My PBW & TAN holdings took a big hit at the opening this morning, but has already recovered about $50K in the past hour.
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:26 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEggs View Post
Green energy's getting blamed for the problems in TX.
I saw that. I wonder how that is possible when 70% of TX energy comes from natural gas, oil, and coal and 67% of the power outages were in areas that use those commodities.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:41 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
I saw that. I wonder how that is possible when 70% of TX energy comes from natural gas, oil, and coal and 67% of the power outages were in areas that use those commodities.
Winter is time for maintenance due to lower consumption, summer time is when most electricity is used.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pbw, solar, tan