Solar & Alternative Energy ETFs

GreenEggs

Recycles dryer sheets
After the Covid-19 crash last Spring I began looking around at other options besides VTI "whole market" type funds that I had most of my investment in.

I remembered reading about TAN in Kiplinger saying it had gained about 76% the past year, which at the time I had mixed feelings about. I thought it "must be really risky", and I also thought "damn some lucky folks made a killing". I figured I'd missed out, and hindsight isn't worth much.

Anyway, the crash hit & I noticed TAN had fallen to about $25 per share. I wanted to buy, but was afraid of the "W" curve that never came. Covid-19 was still huge & Summer came and I just kept watching it go up & up.

Finally pulled the trigger in early August, buying my first shares on 8/05 for $50.83, and have bought 5 more times since. It's up 131% since 8/05. (it's up over 300% since I began following it in April :facepalm:)

I recently realized that Invesco has another solar ETF called PBW which has had similar gains. I started buying it on 12/09 and it's already up almost 42% today 1/26.

I'm curious if any of you have these ETFs or other alternative energy EFTs? I realize that it's a sector and not diversified, but it's hard to see any other sector that we'll be embracing any more than clean energy for quite a while.

I'm into TAN. I've had DQ (#7 holding in TAN) on my watchlist for months. I put an order in for it at $40 back in December, didn't get it. Now it's up to over $100.

I've also got ICLN, FAN, and NEXTX on my watchlists.

I bought OPTT at $2.90 and sold it a few weeks later at $4.25. This is an individual stock that generates electricity from ocean waves.

ICLN is the one I decided on for me...entered not too long after November's election.

ICLN is the one I decided on for me...entered not too long after November's election.
I picked up some in December. Been writing covered calls on it. Nice premiums.

I picked up some in December. Been writing covered calls on it. Nice premiums.

Thanks I'll check those out too. I like using covered calls to create synthetic dividends.

Green energy's getting blamed for the problems in TX. This morning was a good time to buy Solar funds. My PBW & TAN holdings took a big hit at the opening this morning, but has already recovered about $50K in the past hour.

Green energy's getting blamed for the problems in TX.

I saw that. I wonder how that is possible when 70% of TX energy comes from natural gas, oil, and coal and 67% of the power outages were in areas that use those commodities.

I saw that. I wonder how that is possible when 70% of TX energy comes from natural gas, oil, and coal and 67% of the power outages were in areas that use those commodities.
Winter is time for maintenance due to lower consumption, summer time is when most electricity is used.

Back
Top Bottom