Sold all my stocks

Running_Man

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As of today I am back to 0% stocks. The action of the market and the confidence of the average participant leads me to fear there is shortly to be a move of epic proportions and speed to the downside. Hopefully, I turn out to be wrong but am willing to lose a few percent to the upside to avoid the downside I fear. Last time I sold all was 2007.

Welcome to the dark side.

Be prepared for all who will throw stones and label you a market timer.

So what did you buy with all $$ or are you holding in cash??

It's great you sold all in 2007. When did you get back in?

I look forward to seeing the market changes and see what you do in the future.

Might want to think twice about throwing stones. Running_Man nailed it 10 years ago.

I'm not selling anything (on the contrary I am always buying), but I wish the next crash/recession would hurry up and start already. Asset prices are too damn high.

I think this recent panic about inflation is ridiculous. The "bond vigilantes" may demand higher interest rates to buy all the treasuries that are being dumped, but that's not inflation. I stand by my long held belief that real inflation can only occur when there is rampant wage growth. There has been no wage growth for decades, we aren't seeing wage growth, and with all the new job killing tech on the horizon I see zero chance of wage growth in the future.

As of today I am back to 0% stocks. The action of the market and the confidence of the average participant leads me to fear there is shortly to be a move of epic proportions and speed to the downside. Hopefully, I turn out to be wrong but am willing to lose a few percent to the upside to avoid the downside I fear. Last time I sold all was 2007.

This is market timing.... plain and simple.... and it seems that you got one of the calls right last time...

The problem with market timing is that you have to get two calls correct... when to sell and when to buy.... so when did you get back into the market? From what I know (which is not much) one of my BILs sold before the last big drop... but never did get back in... I think he is still mostly cash... it does not matter much as they have pensions that cover all their needs so no big deal...

Wow, fascinating. I’ll be very interested to see if you are right this year.

Personally I’ve been surprised the stock market reaction hasn’t been more strongly negative to the recent fast interest rate rises, so my instinct is that there are more shoes to drop.

But I’m sitting on my hands as usual.

No name calling or stone throwing from me: market timing is a splendid strategy if you get it right! I don't have the insight to achieve this, but if Running_Man does, good for him.

The problem with market timing is that you have to get two calls correct... when to sell and when to buy.... so when did you get back into the market?
^^^ This.

Haven't sold any stocks.

Why would you hope you're wrong?

This is market timing.... plain and simple.... and it seems that you got one of the calls right last time...

The problem with market timing is that you have to get two calls correct... when to sell and when to buy.

+1. I am solidly against any attempt to time the market. If your chances are even to get each decision right, then 75% of the time your would be better off to wait it out. A 10% correction, which is what we have seen so far, is on average an annual event. If one cannot handle that, then perhaps shocks are not for you at all.

As of today I am back to 0% stocks. The action of the market and the confidence of the average participant leads me to fear there is shortly to be a move of epic proportions and speed to the downside.

I've often quoted my neighbor who announced the same thing on the third week of February 2009.

Well, isn't someone who sells all there equities because they expect a crash THE very definition of a market timer?

Thanks for the "Heads up!"

Arlo Guthrie said:
You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and they won't take him. And if two people, two people do it, in harmony, they may think they're both faggots and they won't take either of them. And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in singin' a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. They may think it's an organization. And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day, I said fifty people a day walking in singin' a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. And friends they may thinks it's a movement.

Last edited:
I never understood the idea that, once out, you have to time your return to the market perfectly, as if there is only one suitable entry point that justifys ones withdrawl. Having not lost a large percentage of one’s capital, I would think gives you the freedom to choose any reasonable point along the way to get back in. Seems those that make statements suggesting otherwise are expressing their own fears and what they believe to be conventional wisdom. Doesn’t mean they are right, just right for themselves.

LOL! - thanks for the quote, that made my day!

I never understood the idea that, once out, you have to time your return to the market perfectly, as if there is only one suitable entry point that justifys ones withdrawl. Having not lost a large percentage of one’s capital, I would think gives you the freedom to choose any reasonable point along the way to get back in. Seems those that make statements suggesting otherwise are expressing their own fears and what they believe to be conventional wisdom. Doesn’t mean they are right, just right for themselves.

LOL! - thanks for the quote, that made my day!

Well, if one get gets back in at the same level or higher, then the getting out wasn't such a good move. Especially in accounts that aren't tax deferred.

As long as you are comfortable with your move, congratulations on all the money you have made so far.

Back
Top Bottom